"Applicants Must Be Legally Able To Work In Thailand Without The Company Having To Provide A Work Permit."

I stumbled upon a job offer from a well-know multinational on JobsDB, where they are writing the following:

"Applicants must be legally able to work in Thailand without the company having to provide a work permit."

What does that mean? Can anyone (besides Thai nationals, of course) work in Thailand legally without a work permit? Can anyone else than the company provide someone a work permit (as far as we are not talking about freelancers/self-employed persons, of course)?

At first, this looked like saying "Thai nationals only" in a roundabout way.

Edited by welovesundaysatspace

Thai Nationals or people with PR

PR still requires a work permit, just that the minimum requirements for hiring foreigners for the company are generally waived in these cases, and of course, there are no challenges with visas.

Only people eligible to work without a permit are Thai nationals to the best of my knowledge.

As I read the advert, it states "without the company having to provide a work permit."

I take this to mean that the company advertising will not provide a work permit, but if you have a work permit from your own company - you can apply! eg consultants/freelancer etc.

As I read the advert, it states "without the company having to provide a work permit."

I take this to mean that the company advertising will not provide a work permit, but if you have a work permit from your own company - you can apply! eg consultants/freelancer etc.

I actually work for an MNC and they use this term and it is intended to mean Thai nationals only

The company wishes to hire an indivdual, not hire a company, as would be the case in the example you provide...therefore not valid IMHO.

Many MNCs have policy for equal employment opportunities... this means they can not specify race, gender, religion etc in their job adverts or they would not be in compliance with their own policies.

That being said, it appears that unless the Thai Government changes WP regulations, this means that for the time being only a Thai National can apply for this position.

If in the future, the WP regulations are changed by Thai government, then other nationalities could apply.

As others have said, this is the PC way to say Thai Nationals only without having any one claim that the company has unfair hiring practices.

Thai Nationals or people with PR

PR still requires a work permit, just that the minimum requirements for hiring foreigners for the company are generally waived in these cases, and of course, there are no challenges with visas.

Only people eligible to work without a permit are Thai nationals to the best of my knowledge.

I stand corrected :)

Looking back on Camerata's story ...

I actually work for an MNC and they use this term and it is intended to mean Thai nationals only

The company wishes to hire an indivdual, not hire a company, as would be the case in the example you provide...therefore not valid IMHO.

You are probably correct. :unsure: