Looking For Chocolate Easter Eggs

chiangmaibruce

Hi. Mrs CMB had the idea of organising a chocolate easter egg hunt in the park for a bunch of kids from school. We then started looking around and thus far have had no luck whatsoever. We just want the small ones with colorful foil wrapping ... but haven't found any eggs at all yet. And no, the budget won't extend to buying ferrero rocher! Any tips about local sources would be much appreciated.

I have no idea where to find foil wrapped chocolate Easter eggs. The only thing I would caution you about is that once you do find them, check to see where they were manufactured. If it's China, and if I were you, I'd give those a pass. I will not knowingly eat any food that originates in China and that is my suggestion to you as well. Good Luck in your search.

I bought chocolate eggs abroad last week. Not sure I will be using them for an egg hunt in a park or garden though; all kinds of ants and bugs would get to them in no time at all, plus I don't want to risk children getting their hands where there could be snakes, centipedes and other nasties. Inside the house just might be an option.

I had some easter eggs from my mum this year my daughter has eaten them already.

but she left some out the fridge for about 30 minutes and your right the ants got to them really quickly .

I would agree that it's to dangerous for kids to be playing easter egg hunt here in thailand.

Also, it's the hot season typically during Easter, so even at home you would need to do it early morning and get at them fairly quickly, or they'll turn into chocolate goo.

I'll probably try it though, got some cheapo chocolate eggs last week. (Reese's peanut butter chocolate eggs, Hershey's Cookies & Creme eggs and the like.)

Due to the hot season and ants, why not do the traditional thing; hard boil some eggs and color them with food dye?

yuk, some tradition that one - I'll take the Cadburys tradition thanks. anyway your post inspired me to search google on "wiki easter eggs" to find out more ... whereupon I came across the following interesting fact:

"Since 2008, the International Association of Bomb Investigators and Technicians (IABTI) have sponsored a nationwide charity campaign in the U.S., building beeping easter eggs every year for visually impaired children."

I suggest going the traditional route, too, and coloring some real eggs. As a child, this was a great family project. We would draw designs on the uncooked eggs with crayons (yup, had a few accidents and cracked some raw eggs, much to the dog's delight since she got to clean up the boo-boos) and then work with my Mom on dipping them in the easter egg color. As I recall, the color was "set" with vinegar. I think I saw an Easter egg coloring kit at Rim Ping last year, but I can't be sure and I'm not returning to a grocery store until after SongKran. Dr. Google could also point to other ways to color eggs, using food coloring which is readily available here.

After the egg hunt (always done in the house because the weather was so cold and rainy), we got to peel the eggs and Mom made egg salad, one of our favorites for school lunch sandwiches. Dad maintained a checklist of the locations of the hidden eggs to avoid discovering one under the sofa weeks after Easter!

We also pieced raw eggs on each end, blew out the contents, colored the shells, ran pipe cleaners thru the eggs and decorated an Easter egg tree in front yard. I think the contents of the egg tree eggs were used to make an omelet on Easter morning. I cringe now when I think of how much cholestrol we must have eaten during the days around Easter!

Edited by NancyL

I suggest going the traditional route, too, and coloring some real eggs. As a child, this was a great family project. We would draw designs on the uncooked eggs with crayons (yup, had a few accidents and cracked some raw eggs, much to the dog's delight since she got to clean up the boo-boos) and then work with my Mom on dipping them in the easter egg color. As I recall, the color was "set" with vinegar. I think I saw an Easter egg coloring kit at Rim Ping last year, but I can't be sure and I'm not returning to a grocery store until after SongKran. Dr. Google could also point to other ways to color eggs, using food coloring which is readily available here.

After the egg hunt (always done in the house because the weather was so cold and rainy), we got to peel the eggs and Mom made egg salad, one of our favorites for school lunch sandwiches. Dad maintained a checklist of the locations of the hidden eggs to avoid discovering one under the sofa weeks after Easter!

We also pieced raw eggs on each end, blew out the contents, colored the shells, ran pipe cleaners thru the eggs and decorated an Easter egg tree in front yard. I think the contents of the egg tree eggs were used to make an omelet on Easter morning. I cringe now when I think of how much cholestrol we must have eaten during the days around Easter!

Here is how to do real eggs for Easter: To hard boil eggs, place eggs in saucepan. Cover with cold water. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Allow eggs to simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and drain eggs. Rinse with cool water. In coloring eggs, add 1 teaspoon vinegar to 1/2 cup boiling water. Add at least 20 drops of desired color. Dip hard boiled eggs in colored water. The longer in the water the deeper the color. Store eggs in refrigerator.

Colors can be mixed to make other colors. (Yellow and red equals orange, red and blue is purple, and so on.)

My daughters likes the tie dyed effect. Dip egg in one color. Let it dry and then put tape around the egg. Then dip the egg into another color. She removes the tape to have a two or multiple-toned egg. You can also draw on the egg with a crayon. The wax resists the food colors and you'll have white places on the egg after dipping.

The vinegar and food coloring can be purchased at Rimping.

Thanks, BB for the explanation of how to color Easter eggs. Not having any kids myself, I was relying on decades-old memories. I knew vinegar and crayons were involved. Sounds like something that would be cheap and easy to do here, rather than buying expensive, imported chocolate eggs and hoping they don't melt in the heat.

What I'd like to know is if anyone has seen solid-chocolate bunnies? The hollow ones just don't cut it. Our family had a tradition that we did get chocolate in the form of a small solid-chocolate Easter bunny after church on Easter. Many years, my Dad would have eaten the ears off them, until Mom started to hide them from him as well as us kids!

Edited by NancyL