Water Coming From Under Wall

in november my neighbors wall fell, resulting in my house being flooded. The wall was rebuilt but after the first rain we saw a water leak, brought it to their attention and it was patched. During the last rains the same problem area in the wall was like a fountain, i spoke to them yesterday and asked what the plan is and was informed there is no plan as the water is coming from under the wall hence it is not their problem. Can someone help me understand this line of reasoning. Are they saying that some sort of natural spring has appeared? Any suggestions as to handle this?

After heavy sustained rains its very common for water to flow out of the ground as it trickles down through the hills etc. Sort of a natural spring in a way but as soon as it dries enough, the water will dry up. Perhaps this is what your neighbor his referring to and if so, there is very little he can do to change the natural topography of the area.

Its basicaly ground water ! and during the heavy floods Im sure it will fall again if no action is taken and water is allowed to build up with no where to go . Water will undermine the foundation

Just tryGoogle simple retaining wall / structures and you will find simple details like drainage pipes / gravel / weepholes should be installed behind the wall

Need to find the source behind the wall - divert it , with catchpit and drainage pipe diversion to a low point and into channel / drain in adjacent location ?

i dont think a soakaway pit can cope based on your movie

Good luck

Need to find the source behind the wall - divert it , with catchpit and drainage pipe diversion to a low point and into channel / drain in adjacent location ?

Good luck

Problem being that behind the Wall would be " Neighbours Land " & the only thing i can see to divert it is if YOU pay for it to be diverted & getting the Neighbours permission to do so, as it will be on his Land..

Edit : Either that or Build a Retaining Wall, which won't bee cheap..

Edited by MSingh

Yes, tough one to deal with... a pit hole might just fill up, after a certain amount of rain, then as Beamer says, it may just continue undermine the whole foundation... causing the wall to fall again... :annoyed:

The solution is going to be determined if the water has some where to drain to, if you can come up with a drainage pipe that will take it out of harms way. ... ideally perhaps in the neighbours side...if they are on the higher side.... Perhaps you can come to some arrangement?

Sort of related and not trying to get off topic... and get Rooo'd out :D Is all the water along various areas along the ring road, between Maenam & Bophut...... still running down from them there hills... causing foot washing puddles! Quite a lot still running down in some areas.

Edited by samuijimmy

i dont think a soakaway pit can cope based on your movie

Good luck

Both of you post imo are spot on. the bottom line is the water is finding it's own way to the lowest point. I will install a couple of soakaway pits and hope that the catch wells that are being dug further up the hill will be enough to reduce the water flow. A huge part of the challange is the way the water has been diverted to a drainage system adjacent to my wall, weeping holes have since been installed to relieve the burden of retaining the water but as long as the water is being directed to the wall i fear it will be an on going problem. I am the only single family private dwelling in the neighborhood, so the developer is the owner that spear heads these types of issues. imo he sits high and dry and looks at this issue as a head ache from one of his investment properties that needs to be dealt with where i am saying this is my home,with my wife and children and that makes it a lot more personal.

Big problem is that people build in dry times, over natural water courses and others buy houses which are built over natural water courses. Guess there is no one to blame but yourselves. Its always one of the first things i try to check, its not really rocket science. Neighbour has passed it on to you, so all you can do is pass it on down the line . :rolleyes:

Edited by oldsailor35