Isaan: The Chicken Capital Of Thailand

selftaopath

I wonder if Isaan is the chicken capital of Thailand? I've accompanied my wife to her village after living in BKK for ??? 5-6 yrs. We're hoping to build, and currently rent a house. Much like everything else in Lack of Sanctions (LOS) the lack of boundaries extend all the way to the dam_n local bird - the chicken. Maybe it should be the country's bird??? These lousy critters - except for their taste after being BBQ'd are NOTHING but a pain in the butt (for me). They come on our land/yard dig/ crap/ eat from the Mrs. little vegetable garden and I HATE them. We've put up a netting fence but the rotten SOB'S fly over the top. I can't bring myself to hit/kill them w/ a stick or something, but wish I knew a way of keeping them wandering over the rest of the village people's land. They love em/ raise em/ cuddle em and let them even climb on there (under the house) belongings. GEEZE I have not seen so many chickens in my life. What gives??????? They run freely along with their "friends" the dogs. ????

Any advise how to keep them out will be GREATLY appreciated. Shame the "law" (LOL over that statement) does not allow BB guns here.

Cheers,

Keoki

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to say , but chicken are around in Isaan and will be around for more then some time to come . They provide some food ( as laying eggs and killing 1 once a while ) and roosters are used for fighting which is as far as i know the biggest sport in Isaan area ( Thai boxing is nowhere near as popular ) . So , if you start living in the village , learn to live with 100's of chickens and roosters screaming at 3.30 morning .

BB guns are available , so are normal guns or someone makes it for you . Catapults are locally made from a pieve of scrap wood and the elastics and leather band for it are available from the local store ( sold specially for catas ) . If you do kill or hurt your neighbours chicken , you will be a very loved man over in the village :whistling:.

Sorry to say , but chicken are around in Isaan and will be around for more then some time to come . They provide some food ( as laying eggs and killing 1 once a while ) and roosters are used for fighting which is as far as i know the biggest sport in Isaan area ( Thai boxing is nowhere near as popular ) . So , if you start living in the village , learn to live with 100's of chickens and roosters screaming at 3.30 morning .

BB guns are available , so are normal guns or someone makes it for you . Catapults are locally made from a pieve of scrap wood and the elastics and leather band for it are available from the local store ( sold specially for catas ) . If you do kill or hurt your neighbours chicken , you will be a very loved man over in the village :whistling:.

WOW a BB guns are sold here?

These bloody roosters scream 24x7. They can be heard around the clock and they can be very loud.

The other chickens seem to be "free range" not sure who owns what. But of course it would be too much to expect to have them in a chicken coop "western thinking." I'm learning why quiet a few people build walls around their dwellings. Guess if "bird flu" ever hits again this place will make the news.

WOW a BB guns are sold here?

These bloody roosters scream 24x7. They can be heard around the clock and they can be very loud.

The other chickens seem to be "free range" not sure who owns what. But of course it would be too much to expect to have them in a chicken coop "western thinking." I'm learning why quiet a few people build walls around their dwellings. Guess if "bird flu" ever hits again this place will make the news.

yes they sell bb guns here, soft pellets, some are real nice. I have two dogs that keep them out of my yard....

Whatever you do, don't let your dogs kill them (sorry Wildoates!). Isan villagers are dab hands at the poisoned bait... which my over-friendly dogs will surely fall for. We lost two dogs and the MIL (I mean the MIL lost a dog, not we lost the MIL) another that way. Another dog had to be transferred somewhere where there are no chickens, or she would have gone the same way.

Explain to your wife that you just can't do the rural Isaan life and move back to Bangkok. If the chickens are driving you crazy now and you're still renting, once your new house is built you are going to encounter a whole host of new cultural issues to deal with that will make the chickens seem like nothing.

Edited by Groongthep

Are you sure that there aren't too many Thai's in the village, they don't all speak English and there isn't a tesco there a problem as well ? :huh:

I would suggest a move back to BKK or somewhere like Pattaya where all your Farang needs are well catered for :o;)

There's nothing you can do about the chickens mate :) apart from build a wall to try and keep them out.

It's just one of those things you have to put up with living in rural Thailand (which is pretty much all of it really)

At night, the dogs wake up the chickens or the chickens wake up the dogs, one way or the other, it's noisy, all the time! :lol:

Takes me a while to get used to, ok I don't get used to it, I get earplugs :lol:

Have fun shooting them all, and have even more fun paying the owners so they can go and buy some more targets for you! :lol:

Yeah, chickens are very much part of the " furniture ".

I really don't mind chickens, or barking dogs ( that much ).

I do mind the local nutter from Brighton coming round and talking bol**cks, bringing a bottle of beer then drinking loads of mine when he's done.

In fact I have had to ban him from my place and try not to run him over in the Vigo when he's staggering about the street. Although my eyes are not that good I may not see him one day, officer.

I'll take the chickens any day.

Could be worse, could be pigeons.

Or, could be anything else that fascinates the unaccustomed observer. There is this circle of Farang species that find a kinship towards whinging about things that are quite customary in the deep darkest countryside regions. The chook obsession seems to be a vocal point: too many, noisy, disrupt garden, etc. Even though there has been domestic fowl running around in mega-numbers since time began.

Are you sure that there aren't too many Thai's in the village, they don't all speak English and there isn't a tesco there a problem as well ? :huh:

I would suggest a move back to BKK or somewhere like Pattaya where all your Farang needs are well catered for :o;)

Indeed.......:jap:

Explain to your wife that you just can't do the rural Isaan life and move back to Bangkok. If the chickens are driving you crazy now and you're still renting, once your new house is built you are going to encounter a whole host of new cultural issues to deal with that will make the chickens seem like nothing.

Amen to that. If chickens are a problem, I wonder how the OP is going to deal with other Isaan- "Typicalities". Remedy: Back to BKK and no "Investements" whatsoever.

- But this seems to be the trend: Due to the fact that (some) "western currencies" have taken it on the chin as compared to most Asian-Currencies, a livestyle in BKK or other tourist-hubs are financially no more within the reach of an increasing number of Farangs. As an alternative, the Deep-Isaan may appear as an alternative to some.

But not for someone that is bothered by CHICKENS !! For gods sake !!

Cheers.

Have you considered whether you are really suited to living in Isaan ?

I fear that this could be the first of many threads :whistling:

Yes when we relocated, almost 1 yr ago, I had a "wait and see" idea if it would be a long term commitment. There are many differences, I feel, from living in other areas of Thailand perhaps. What I strive for is autonomy and the sanctity of privacy and control of my immediate environment. I have not accepted men wandering into our yard and taking a piss, nor to I accept the idea that any flowers/vegetables/grass we plant be allowed to be destroyed by free range chickens. I respect others and want then to at least respect the boundaries of my dwelling. I would never dare trespass onto their property i.e. take a piss in their yard, or allow any animal under my care to wander around causing havoc. Do you condone these boundary crossings?

Cheers,

Yes when we relocated, almost 1 yr ago, I had a "wait and see" idea if it would be a long term commitment. There are many differences, I feel, from living in other areas of Thailand perhaps. What I strive for is autonomy and the sanctity of privacy and control of my immediate environment. I have not accepted men wandering into our yard and taking a piss, nor to I accept the idea that any flowers/vegetables/grass we plant be allowed to be destroyed by free range chickens. I respect others and want then to at least respect the boundaries of my dwelling. I would never dare trespass onto their property i.e. take a piss in their yard, or allow any animal under my care to wander around causing havoc. Do you condone these boundary crossings?

Cheers,

Best you live in the West, where everything is prim and proper, controlled and predictable, intolerant and uptight.

H2oDunc, we live 90 S of Khon Kaen and 70K N of Chaiyaphum. I assure you there are no Tesco's around. I'm not quite sure of your meaning in your first semitrance, but I haven't heard any English being spoken in this village.

Thanks for your suggestion to move. Is that the mentality of people such as yourself and others who suggest "go back from......" i.e. if something doesn't please you - run/move ? And I have never been to Pattaya and to give you a more concise picture of me other than the possible one of my wanting to "be catered for" I/we have never hired a maid/driver etc. My "need" do not need catering for. As a matter of fact I'd be willing to bet I do more for myself and my Mrs. than most foreigners living here. I have never avoided any type of labor and do not believe other humans are her to cater to my "needs" LOL Maybe you were not serious or perhaps this is "your mantra."

Best you live in the West, where everything is prim and proper, controlled and predictable, intolerant and uptight.

I find it very interesting, amazing actually that some people (with ???? credentials) can know what is "Best" for others. And to know that from a mere expression of not liking chickens tromping all over their dwelling. LOL Ah all the "experts." RUN RUN RUN/MOVE MOVE MOVE/drink drink drink????

You and perhaps all those other "runners" would be very surprised and "my way" if you knew it. LOL But alas I will not continue this banter of moving etc. with individuals who suggest such poorly thought out approaches to - practically all - situations which do not please them. LLOL

[sic].... would be very surprised and "my way" if you knew it.

Nope, I don't think many would be surprised at all. You appear to wear yourself on your sleeve. Quite predictable and expected from the usual newbie.

Cheers,

I am seriously surprised that you have lasted almost one year.

You have to adapt, or at very least accept, life in Isaan as it is, it will not change for you.

Cheers,

I am seriously surprised that you have lasted almost one year.

You have to adapt, or at very least accept, life in Isaan as it is, it will not change for you.

Some insist that the region and lifestyles change for their liking. This never works. Just creates angst upon ill feelings. And then.....it's almost always that the locals don't understand.

Ain't much you can do, mate. Build a higher netting fence? If you start shooting them with a BB gun you might start getting abuse from the neighbours. If you want to know who owns them, cook and eat one of them, then somebody will start asking questions and wanting 40B compensation. You could buy some of that chicken baskets things in the market and throw that over them, somebody will start looking for them. I have a dog but he just watches them. I had to beat them out of the house with a stick at one stage, jeez they're thick. Nobody gives a toss whose land it is, they just wander all over the place. I am talking about the Thais not the chickens. If you want personal boundaries or privacy Isaan ain't the best of places.

But a pair of geese. They don't take to people well but if they like you, you are OK. Mine used to bite my wife on her butt and chase her around except if she was with me. Chickens seem to get out of their way. Geese can hurt you with a bite and flog you pretty well with their wings.

I had geese in Arkansas but never tried them in Thailand. They are good to eat. Remember to keep draining off the fat they are pretty greasy.

PS don't run away from them, that only goads them on. They don't train well and seem to have a short or non existent memory. A bit like my first GF from Issan. You can establish dominance over a goose and the next day she has completely forgotten the experience. They don't even seem to care that you feed them daily. If they don't like you they just don't like you.

I think you can buy them in Rayong at Heritage Geese Farms I think. They make good watch dogs too.

Geese have been protecting Ballantine's bonded warehouses near Glasgow, Scotland, since 1959. They guard 240 million litres of maturing whiskey.

Let me know if you try it.

post-26885-0-90681000-1302581803_thumb.j

Edited by mark45y

Hi there,

those bloody chickens drove me crazy the first time I visited my wifes village.

We were sleeping on the floor next to the roller door and the and the things were making a hell of a racket from 4AM.

The next visit the father in law gave them an education with a home made shangai ( one of those things made from a Y shaped stick with a rubber band thing ).

We didnt have a single rooster come near the place but there was the odd warning shot fired by the old man. So they cant be that stupid!

Every visit since then has been the same.

By the way, my wife would never tolerate someone taking a piss on the family land.

All the best.

But a pair of geese. They don't take to people well but if they like you, you are OK. Mine used to bite my wife on her butt and chase her around except if she was with me. Chickens seem to get out of their way. Geese can hurt you with a bite and flog you pretty well with their wings.

I had geese in Arkansas but never tried them in Thailand. They are good to eat. Remember to keep draining off the fat they are pretty greasy.

PS don't run away from them, that only goads them on. They don't train well and seem to have a short or non existent memory. A bit like my first GF from Issan. You can establish dominance over a goose and the next day she has completely forgotten the experience. They don't even seem to care that you feed them daily. If they don't like you they just don't like you.

I think you can buy them in Rayong at Heritage Geese Farms I think. They make good watch dogs too.

Geese have been protecting Ballantine's bonded warehouses near Glasgow, Scotland, since 1959. They guard 240 million litres of maturing whiskey.

Let me know if you try it.

Nice suggestion, Mark. We have geese on our property {not for consumption}. In some strange way, they seem to keep the chickens in order.....some sort of avian connection that is hard to decipher. An added note: geese make much better watch animals and they bark all night!B)