Bored To Death In The Sticks

ninjat

zzaa09 , It is nothing to do with being social , why does a person go any place he knows that he will not feel uncomfortable for a plethora of reasons ? My wifes family , even though we get along well with each other , are not my family , we do not even speak each others language other than her sister whom we sent to school to learn English to her advantage .

During occasions such as religious rites celebrations , I am and look completely out of place and feel like a spare penis at a wedding , I attend weddings and birthdays which I can feel comfortable with , but the rest means nothing to me and my wife appreciates this , bless her little cotton socks .

Please do not get on about learning the language , I gave up on that score many others have ..

...seems to be your loss. As it has everything to familial and social extensions.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how the villagers can do it.

They do. And usually very well. Content and happy.

Ignorance is bliss ;)

You'd never know it by observing Farang-types and their unnecessary struggle to "fit in". Ignorance might not be so one-sided.

'zzaa09' timestamp='1302789962' post='4356595']

'dumball' timestamp='1302720610' post='4354908']

zzaa09 , It is nothing to do with being social , why does a person go any place he knows that he will not feel uncomfortable for a plethora of reasons ? My wifes family , even though we get along well with each other , are not my family , we do not even speak each others language other than her sister whom we sent to school to learn English to her advantage .

During occasions such as religious rites celebrations , I am and look completely out of place and feel like a spare penis at a wedding , I attend weddings and birthdays which I can feel comfortable with , but the rest means nothing to me and my wife appreciates this , bless her little cotton socks .

Please do not get on about learning the language , I gave up on that score many others have ..

...seems to be your loss. As it has everything to familial and social extensions.

No loss at all actually , we all get on like a house on fire outside of THEIR religious environment , they enjoy coming into the city for get togethers , family members also have their own likes/dislikes which are respected by the other members .

Please remember , children are born into a family , they had no choice , but as they age they have differing choices from their siblings , for true unity these differences need to be appreciated and accepted , you sound that all should be compulsory , what a dominant attitude to be sure .

I don't see how the villagers can do it.

They do. And usually very well. Content and happy.

Ignorance is bliss ;)

You'd never know it by observing Farang-types and their unnecessary struggle to "fit in". Ignorance might not be so one-sided.

Especially those who think learning Thai is the panacea. Listening to Kantrum for more than 2 hours seems to be another qualification according to some wooden tops.

do not make the same mistake as me and build a house, yes i get bored to tears and it drives me to the drink , you need a hobby and some friends up there no doubt about it.

Surely you worked out that you liked it before you built a house. I love it but I have many hobbies. I also use the drinking one for a few days when I am fed up with the hobbies.

I built the house mainly because I am a contractor (wife goes with me where ever I go) and it is nice to return to a nice house that belongs to me on a huge plot of land that belongs to my son and does not belong to a bank. The wif'e interests are elsewhere (property wise so we do not need to go off topic down that road).

I have already decided that when I retire I will need money aside to spend 3 to 4 months a year either in BKK or the beach. However the sticks is also nice if you can keep busy.

Keeps everyone happy some village life with some beach and city life. Unfortunately it will be some years before I practice what I preach!

Edited by maprao

Isn't boredom a creation of the individual? Different situations, perspectives, levels of stimulus, tolerance, whatever. Locale and boredom have nothing to do with one another. All the variable factors will always apply........B)

I hate the village locals and their lazy way of life.

They just muck about all day, picking fruits off trees or riding around on their motorbikes with nothing else to do.

Below is a snapshot of 2 locals I saw out and about on a motorbike. I mean, who would want to hang out with the likes of them for 6 weeks? Totally boring.

No, not me, I would much rather stay in the town, go bar crawling with my mates, eating crap food and sitting on my computer.

I know just what you mean, Beetlejuice. Why just a couple of weeks ago these obnoxious young ladies grabbed me and wouldn't let me leave until I had a meal at their cafe. I was held there against my will for 3 hours instead of being allowed to go back to my hotel alone and eat the processed cheese sandwich I had made 6 hours before. And, I was so looking forward to watching the slapstick Thai TV program that night.

<snip>

She even stole my glasses for this photo.

<snip>

Yup, it's really rough out in the sticks with only a few places with entertainment.

man, if those three were the last 3 women on the planet, I'd rather avoid them.

Edited by craigt3365
removed pictures

do not make the same mistake as me and build a house, yes i get bored to tears and it drives me to the drink , you need a hobby and some friends up there no doubt about it.

Yet, every situation and individual will certainly be different from the next, yes? Unless, one considers that life is homogenized.B)

They just muck about all day, picking fruits off trees or riding around on their motorbikes with nothing else to do.

Below is a snapshot of 2 locals I saw out and about on a motorbike. I mean, who would want to hang out with the likes of them for 6 weeks? Totally boring.

No, not me, I would much rather stay in the town, go bar crawling with my mates, eating crap food and sitting on my computer.

I know just what you mean, Beetlejuice. Why just a couple of weeks ago these obnoxious young ladies grabbed me and wouldn't let me leave until I had a meal at their cafe. I was held there against my will for 3 hours instead of being allowed to go back to my hotel alone and eat the processed cheese sandwich I had made 6 hours before. And, I was so looking forward to watching the slapstick Thai TV program that night.

<snip>

<snip>

Yup, it's really rough out in the sticks with only a few places with entertainment.

man, if those three were the last 3 women on the planet, I'd rather avoid them.

Maybe if you were the last man on the planet, they would be grateful to be avoided?

Edited by craigt3365
removed pictures

<snip>

<snip>

Oi you skin headed bastard, one of those girls is my missus.

Ok pal, you and me , 5 minutes, car park, be there.:realangry::annoyed:

Na, just kidding you lucky bugger.:lol:

Edited by craigt3365
Removed Pictures

that guy really don't get it, that not everyone on this planet wants to copy his activities paying young girls to get what they wouldn't do without that....so dull indeed....

"to get what they wouldn't do without that..."

Word sausage?

that guy really don't get it, that not everyone on this planet wants to copy his activities paying young girls to get what they wouldn't do without that....so dull indeed....

I don't know what cafes and restaurants that YOU go to, but I've never seen one yet that didn't expect a customer to pay for his meal and drinks. Those three young women were all waitresses working an 8 to 9 hour shift in the evening... and hoping for a tip to supplement their pitiful salary. Try living on less than 200 baht a day some time.

If its up north just parade around in a pro yellow shirt if down south a pro red one, should make life and your vist a little more interesting... :whistling:

FYI, there is a North and South Issan. Besides the red shirts are not just from the North. Perhaps one of the largest concentrations of their support is Si Sa Ket.

Try and get out of the Sukhumvit ghetto once and a while and turn off the TV and actually go somewhere in Thailand for a change.

WOW are we a bit cranky or what ?

I spent a month in a small village, and really have no advice for you. I had cable TV, wireless internet, and a very attentive GF. However, I've always been a city-rat, and couldn't wait to leave. I don't see how the villagers can do it. Maybe, if I could have spoken Thai, it would have been more interesting, I never felt comfortable there. Peace and serenity always scared me, anyway.

All of Maesot is peace and serenity.... the locals deal by getting drunk alot, and expats (farang) follow suit after not so long of an "adjustment" period. No theaters. No English library. No arts venues. Only markets, restaurants, and alcohol - whether consumed at a pub, (as there are no gogo's, save five "karaoke" bars) or at home. I am not a tea totler, but I do not drink to get drunk any more since some years past, and yet I could see myself even, easily start to drink more here. Knowing the Thai language certainly would help with the boredom some. But even then, without western style stimuli, twiddling thumbs occurs often and quickly. In the cities, it is really just as boring, it's just that there is more English in written form as well as used in conversations, but unless you have oodles of cash to keep buying some excitement, it gets boring there too. When I'm bored with my wife's family and friend's blahhh blahhh about everything that doesn't interest me, I do wander off on my own and meet people and see things. It helps. I pay my social respects and everyone likes me, albeit probably more because I have light skin and am a novelty to get close to and touch and be associated with, then I head out on my own. In my personal jaunts, I have actually headed deeper into "the sticks" and found deliteful people and a different flavor of Thailand as well. All in all I'm happy to live here. Just have to get a little attitude adjustment from time to time.