Bored To Death In The Sticks

ninjat

Hi,

Here I am again, visiting the family in law in the sticks. It's only been a few days and I'm already bored to death, tired of people who have never been outside the village and conversations limited to what we are going to eat.

So any ideas on making visits to the sticks more exciting - or how to avoid them/limit them as much as possible?

Thanks.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only way to cope for me is to go prepared, DS lite & games, mobile internet dongle for a laptop, plenty to read & headphone & ipod with plenty of music downloaded to drown out the constant talking, sounds of vehicle, dogs & chicken)

Apart from that just do your time with a smile & a positive attitude

How about not even going there in the first place?

A buddy of mine lives separately from his wife when in Thailand, (but lives with her when in London most of the year).

Her family could care less about him other than helping them out with some cash every now and then, but he insists on going there to see the "real Thailand" every few months and then does nothing but complain about it afterwords. Why go at all? :blink:

How about not even going there in the first place?

A buddy of mine lives separately from his wife when in Thailand, (but lives with her when in London most of the year).

Her family could care less about him other than helping them out with some cash every now and then, but he insists on going there to see the "real Thailand" every few months and then does nothing but complain about it afterwords. Why go at all? :blink:

Sad. Well.....it is what it is. Some people ya just can't please.

I spent a month in a small village, and really have no advice for you. I had cable TV, wireless internet, and a very attentive GF. However, I've always been a city-rat, and couldn't wait to leave. I don't see how the villagers can do it. Maybe, if I could have spoken Thai, it would have been more interesting, I never felt comfortable there. Peace and serenity always scared me, anyway.

If its up north just parade around in a pro yellow shirt if down south a pro red one, should make life and your vist a little more interesting... :whistling:

FYI, there is a North and South Issan. Besides the red shirts are not just from the North. Perhaps one of the largest concentrations of their support is Si Sa Ket.

Try and get out of the Sukhumvit ghetto once and a while and turn off the TV and actually go somewhere in Thailand for a change.

I enjoy my visits to the village and could spend extended periods without problem, although I could not live there permanently. But then I grew up in a village in the UK. I always take a few books (which I usually don't get round to reading), but spend most of my time walking and fishing. I undertsand the NE Thai dialect and speak Thai so communication is no problem. I can always find something to do. Bought a black light to go scorpian hunting at night, learned how to fish Thai style, go frog hunting in season, all kinds of stuff, but without the language you would find it difficult.

If its up north just parade around in a pro yellow shirt if down south a pro red one, should make life and your vist a little more interesting... :whistling:

FYI, there is a North and South Issan. Besides the red shirts are not just from the North. Perhaps one of the largest concentrations of their support is Si Sa Ket.

Try and get out of the Sukhumvit ghetto once and a while and turn off the TV and actually go somewhere in Thailand for a change.

Yes, a north and south. Yet, some might not consider the very Khmer Provinces of Si Saket and Surin to be "associated" with Isaan.

How about dressing up in a yellow t-shirt, drink a bottle of whiskey and then nick someone's Tuk Tuk and drive all the way back to BKK and then call the missus and tell her you're out with the boys for a couple of weeks - dont remind to tell her you left 2000 baht for her under the pillow.

I dont know what, but you're not going to be bored...

Yes, a north and south. Yet, some might not consider the very Khmer Provinces of Si Saket and Surin to be "associated" with Isaan.

... and many of them would prefer to be part of Cambodia now if not a separate sovereign Issan.

I hate the village locals and their lazy way of life.

They just muck about all day, picking fruits off trees or riding around on their motorbikes with nothing else to do.

Below is a snapshot of 2 locals I saw out and about on a motorbike. I mean, who would want to hang out with the likes of them for 6 weeks? Totally boring.

No, not me, I would much rather stay in the town, go bar crawling with my mates, eating crap food and sitting on my computer.

They just muck about all day, picking fruits off trees or riding around on their motorbikes with nothing else to do.

Below is a snapshot of 2 locals I saw out and about on a motorbike. I mean, who would want to hang out with the likes of them for 6 weeks? Totally boring.

No, not me, I would much rather stay in the town, go bar crawling with my mates, eating crap food and sitting on my computer.

They look like a fine pair with a fine pair... :whistling:

vpi78, on 2011-04-12 09:50:54, said:

See point proven < one tounge in cheek gesture and VPI has a bitch fit...Maybe its you who best get out of the village a bit more.

Told you it would make your visit more interesting.

Funny. As soon as I opened this, a lovely young lady, driving her ice cream motorbike drove up, smiling and wanting me to buy ice cream.

I'm sorry what were we talking about?

Some guy is bored.