First Time Travel To Thai

Underground

Hi, just wanted to drop a line to ask any of you on the forum with experience of traveling in Thailand what advice you could give to a first time traveler due to arrive in Thailand (next week!! eep!). I have basically spent the last few months daydreaming at my rather mundane office job and saving to travel to Thailand. I have scanned the obvious travel guides (lonely planet, brochures at the local travel agents, google & more) which led me onto this forum and I thought I would ask the question.

My plans are as follows, arrive into bangkok (my ticket is open so I may return from bangkok at any time over a 6month period) and I have 3 x 60 day multi-entry tourist visas and around 1/2million baht to spend during my stay. I don't like girls(guys) or drugs and would rather not go to pattaya and blow it all on a drink fueled suntan, shocking! I am however interested in understanding foreign culture and had considered offering a week or two of my trip as a volunteer to teach English (unpaid) to get a better understanding of Thai life. So my question is this, what advice would you recommended to a back packing first timer that is beyond the plain and obvious? I am traveling alone not through choice but as I couldn't find anyone barking enough to go with me.

Thank you in advance and hope you are all having/had a wonderful time on your adventures!

First thing, dont EVER advertise the amount of money you have access too!'

You cannot work under any circumstances even volunteering unless you have a work permit, Yes thats right, a work permit is needed even if volunteering.

You need to research research and then do more reasearch, Thailand is a lovely place, stay away from the typical touristy hotspots and you'll avoid the scams that go with them, get out and see the real Thailand, you wont be sorry you did.

Have fun, take care, and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Edited by CharlieH

I have told this to everyone I know who comes here for the first time and are interetsed in seeing Thailand. Buy the Lonely Planet read it. If it is your first visit to the country and have not travelled a lot book a room from your home country the first night. Then start your travel using the Lonely Planet. I would recommend staying in Bangkok 3 days to a week just to go through some culture shock. Stay at a hotel in the area of Bangkok you found interesting in the book and explore. Aftyer that go you wish using Lonely Planet as your quide. This is how I started 20 years ago and if I had it to do over again I wouldnot change it one bit. I found it fun to pick out a city catch a train and go for it.

Charlie H was right on about money never let anyone know how much money you have access too or are carrying. Could make for a short unpleasant trip.

Edited by lovelomsak

First thing, dont EVER advertise the amount of money you have access too!'

You cannot work under any circumstances even volunteering unless you have a work permit, Yes thats right, a work permit is needed even if volunteering.

You need to research research and then do more reasearch, Thailand is a lovely place, stay away from the typical touristy hotspots and you'll avoid the scams that go with them, get out and see the real Thailand, you wont be sorry you did.

Have fun, take care, and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

This is good advice.

Stay away from the South and only go to the islands if you want to be 'western' for a while.

Thailand is like every other country when it comes to scams. The scammers mostly live in the holiday resorts or the big cities..

Learn some Thai - just the basics, but bring a good book to help you with the language.

Also, make sure you have access to your funds, there's ATM machines everywhere but you need to tell your bank in your home country you're going to Thailand, or they'll see a transaction from Bangkok and stop your card!

All of the above, and yes, don't go around telling everyone you've got half a million baht, or you won't have half a million baht :)

Seeing as you'll be in Thailand for a while you might find it better to open a Thai bank account and then transfer your money over maybe once a month? Speak to your bank before you come and ask them about SWIFT transfers.

There are ATM fees for foreign cards and your bank will charge you too, so nipping down the cash point for a tenner could be expensive! The alternative is bowling around with three months Thai wages in your backpack. Also perhaps not the best move :)

I hope you enjoy your trip, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Oh, and once you head away from the 'main' places, English is not spoken widely, if at all. A few phrases in Thai will help you no end, oh and a big smile to go with them :D

Travel insurance, wear a crash helmet, don't buy a bar....what else?......ah yes, don't fall in love with the first girl/boy/person of the third kind that smiles at you, make it the third or fourth at least! :lol:

Have to totally agree with lovelomsak. Arrive in Bangkok, possibly base yourself in KhaoSan Road for a few days (for a first time backpacker its very convenient for planning your onward travels), go and explore the city sites and most importantly sit back have a beer and acclimatise to the sights, sounds and smells. Then - grab the LP (for a first time visitor it truly is invaluable!), choose your next destination and totally enjoy the freedom of having plenty of time, a bit of cash and a sense of pure discovery to look forward to. Ahhhh...those where the days...

Take care, always smile and enjoy!

Try a home stay in Isaan in the sticks, you can't get closer to Thai lifestyle. Hang around in the country side and enjoy. Will be hard to avoid the girls ...... Good luck

fatfather

umm, what if the girls avoid him? I have a friend that can't get a nice girl to return his interest.

Aside from that Isaan is a great recommendation. Issan people are real and they are huggable, unlike the brittle boned delicate Bangkok residents.

Since you have a multi-entry, don't forget the nearby countries. Angkor Wat is fantastic. Vietnam is really neat (you could spend a month there easily). A trip to Laos and Vang Vieng for the rafting and them up to Luang Prabang is great. Myanmar has some great sites also.

Khao San Road is a great start. Meet some other travelers and get a plan...but don't plan too much! Transportation here in SE Asia is really easy, cheap and safe (mostly).

I like Lonely Planet because they give you some great itineraries to follow...and modify as you desire.

Don't be shy to just head somewhere and figure out lodging once you get there...unless it is a major holiday...you will have no problem finding a place to stay....

Have a blast!!!!!!

Good advice from everyone so far!

I would go to Chiang mai for sure! Good city with lots of activities to do. I would base yourself near the university if you would prefer to meet Thais.

Somebody recommended Issan. I've only been to Khon Kaen but it is one of my favourite places in Thailand.

Kanchanaburi is also a great place to stay. Great setting on the river Kwai with plenty of things to do.

It's going to hard to avoid the girls!

Stay away from the South and only go to the islands if you want to be 'western' for a while.

Not true. First you need to define the "south" and there are plenty of island without westerners. Just be careful to be used to Thai food by the time you get there.

Since you have a multi-entry, don't forget the nearby countries. Angkor Wat is fantastic. Vietnam is really neat (you could spend a month there easily). A trip to Laos and Vang Vieng for the rafting and them up to Luang Prabang is great. Myanmar has some great sites also.

Couldn't agree more. I love Isaan but I don't think it's a good place for a first time visitor. On the other hand Cambodia and Burma (Myanmar) are "must see".