I have found some old threads about the APEC Card that may not be relevant to the issuing of the card now.

Apparently, the criteria that has to be met before you are issued the card has been tightened right up. Obviously, many long term stayers got them for easy, and long (90 days) visa runs, so, I have been informed they are now requiring documentary proof of your business dealings in the APEC countries. These business dealings have to be substantial and you need to hold a high position within the company.

Has anyone recently applied, and was granted, or knocked back, for the card? What documents did they require from you?

Is documentary proof that you are the director of a Thai Company enough to satisfy the Australian Goverment for them to issue you the card?

Any other advice about getting one of these cards would be appreciated as it would be very handy to have one.

New rules being applied by Australia are:

- Your company has to have revenue or profit (I'm not sure which one) of more than $5 million.

- You must be in the top 3 levels of a large company or the top level of a smaller company.

These new rules are being applied because Australians currently have 30% of the Apec cards issued. Some other Apec countries (not sure which ones) complained.

They have been applying these new rules since mid-late last year.

- Your company has to have revenue or profit (I'm not sure which one) of more than $5 million.

- You must be in the top 3 levels of a large company or the top level of a smaller company.

These new rules are being applied because Australians currently have 30% of the Apec cards issued. Some other Apec countries (not sure which ones) complained.

I guess that rules me out. Where did you get this info from?

I guess that rules me out. Where did you get this info from?

From the embassy. They had a briefing with Austcham (Aus-Thai chamber of commerce) members a couple of months ago, and there has been a lot of discussion about it.

I know quite a few people who have had application renewals rejected.

There is a possibility that the rules will be relaxed a little (reducing the required profit/revenue), but don't expect much change and don't hold your breath

Edited by whybother

Personally, the irony in all of this for me at least versus my Aussie passport, my bog standard 1000 baht Thai passport generally gives me better access to ASEAN based APEC countries (as well as their hinterland ie India, Laos, Cambodia - heck, even Brazil).

Sure, Aussie passport is good for, um, Australia and NZ where I get a better queue anyway.

So that takes care of 95% of the places I regularly travel to.

Not sure if North America fully participates in the APEC travel card though.

Edited by samran

Personally, the irony in all of this for me at least versus my Aussie passport, my bog standard 1000 baht Thai passport generally gives me better access to ASEAN based APEC countries (as well as their hinterland ie India, Laos, Cambodia - heck, even Brazil).

Sure, Aussie passport is good for, um, Australia and NZ where I get a better queue anyway.

So that takes care of 95% of the places I regularly travel to.

Not sure if North America fully participates in the APEC travel card though.

Apparently, it does. How much faster it gets you through immigration, I'm not sure, but it means no need to apply for visas.

Edited by whybother

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, do you know if it's the same rules for a Thai, to get an APEC card in Thaialnd, as it is for an Australian, to get an APEC card in Australia? In order words, do all the APEC nations have the $5million revenue law etc etc?

Just out of curiosity, do you know if it's the same rules for a Thai, to get an APEC card in Thaialnd, as it is for an Australian, to get an APEC card in Australia? In order words, do all the APEC nations have the $5million revenue law etc etc?

No idea what rules the Thai's apply. Sorry.

It would probably be along similar lines. Important people in big companies. Or connected in some way.

Edited by whybother

No idea what rules the Thai's apply. Sorry.

It would probably be along similar lines. Important people in big companies. Or connected in some way.

Don't know about the financial criteria, but the company you work for has to be a member of the Thai Chamber of Commerce for you to even be eligible for consideration. From memory, the Thai MFA then handles the application. Least that is how it was back in 2008 when I last looked into it.

My APEC card is up for renewal in Sept this year, the 3 years i have had it made things very easy, 90 days here then a day flight to Penang and another 90 days, fast track at all ASEAN airports never a queue, never a hassle, I have never seen inside a Thai immigration office..but alas those days seem to be over, i received an email just last week with the NEW requirements and although i do some business ( for tax reasons and flights ) there is no way I can meet their new criteria, and I think many others will be in this situation. I will submit and pay my $200 application and advise what happens.....Cheers

Edited by supaprik

My APEC card is up for renewal in Sept this year, the 3 years i have had it made things very easy, 90 days here then a day flight to Penang and another 90 days, fast track at all ASEAN airports never a queue, never a hassle, I have never seen inside a Thai immigration office..but alas those days seem to be over, i received an email just last week with the NEW requirements and although i do some business ( for tax reasons and flights ) there is no way I can meet their new criteria, and I think many others will be in this situation. I will submit and pay my $200 application and advise what happens.....Cheers

I will be the same as you supa in March next year after my card expires for the third time. I have found it great

in particular the savings ( time and money ) in not having to get visas for places like China and Vietnam.

surely there will be a lot of people who cannot

meet the new criteria ? It was good while it lasted though - 9 years i can't complain :)

Yes, I can see how handy they are. I would be prepared to pay $500AUD for one. :) I thought the Australian Government would have seized the oppurtunity to make a dollar out of it. Now, the money goes to mainly Thailand and Vietnam in visa fees.

Yes, I can see how handy they are. I would be prepared to pay $500AUD for one. :) I thought the Australian Government would have seized the oppurtunity to make a dollar out of it. Now, the money goes to mainly Thailand and Vietnam in visa fees.

The Aus government would love to make a quid out of it. But they've been pressured by some of the other countries to set particular criteria. The threat of having some of the Asian nations (particularly China) applying comparatively similar rules and then having 100 million applications to process would shut the whole thing down. I suppose most of us wouldn't care, because we can't use it anyway. :ph34r:

• 5 months later...