Pheu Thai: No Objections To Yingluck Nomination

webfact

'No objections' to Yingluck nomination

By THE NATION

The Pheu Thai Party yesterday dismissed media reports that its key strategists were worried about Yingluck Shinawatra, the sister of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, becoming the party's prime minister candidate.

Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit said it was untrue that the party's president Chavalit Yongchaiyudh and veteran politician Snoh Thienthong had expressed any concern about Yingluck's possible nomination.

Prompong said Chavalit and Snoh's aides were asked about the matter and they insisted both of them had no worries.

Snoh's aide insisted the Pracharaj Party leader would definitely join Pheu Thai after dissolution of the House of Representatives in a bid to boost Pheu Thai's chances of winning the most MP seats in the upcoming election and the right to form a new government, according to the spokesman.

Prompong also rejected speculation that Chavalit, a former prime minister, would leave Pheu Thai to set up a new political party.

After the long Songkran holiday, Pheu Thai would disclose part of its policy platforms for the upcoming general elections, introduce its election candidates on April 18-19, and hold the party's initial election campaign on April 22 and 27, according to the spokesman.

Former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat, who is Thaksin's brother-in-law, said yesterday that Pheu Thai's election campaign would kick off on April 23 at Thammasat University.

"The Pheu Thai Party is very well prepared and I am confident most people will vote for the party. More importantly, Pheu Thai will help salvage the country. For example, farmers will have credit cards, high-speed trains will be available throughout the country, and there will be a debt moratorium for farmers," Somchai said.

He said the party's motto would be "Thaksin Thinks and Pheu Thai Does It" - which means if elected, the party would implement the policies suggested by the deposed former premier.

Somchai, who said he no longer is a Pheu Thai executive member but "still its secret admirer", was in Chiang Mai yesterday to attend a local "rot nam dam hua" ceremony for more than 80 red shirts in Chiang Mai who were seeking his blessings ahead of the Songkran festival. After the brief ceremony in the northern city, Somchai later left for its neighbouring province of Lampang for a similar ceremony by the local red shirts.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-13

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One minor point, I thought that the high-speed train-network was a Chinese initiative floated/announced under the current government, yet former-PM Somchai appears to want to claim it for PTP ? When it's not yet built or financed, might this not be a little premature, to start trying to take the credit ?

And farmers to get new credit-cards & another debt-moratorium, how will this be better than the one-million-baht-per-village scheme, which was poorly-controlled and a debt-disaster for many ? New debt needs to be channeled into productive-investment, to enable the borrowers to generate extra-profits to repay later-on, or the debt-moratorium becomes merely a long-term millstone round borrowers' necks.

He also says that "most people will vote for the party", well obviously he needs to be positive pre-election, even if he "no longer is a Pheu Thai executive-member", but to claim they will get more-than 50% of the popular-vote ("most") is out-of-line with recent by-elections and a considerable turn-round for them. Perhaps he is over-optimistic. Only the vote will show for certain.

"Thaksin Thinks and Pheu Thai Does It", an effective if fairly-undemocratic slogan, but surely there are risks in wanting to put all the country's eggs in just one basket ? Thaksin is (like anyone else) only human, what if he sickens or dies, leaving their supposed majority-government brain-less ? Better that they should learn to think for themselves ! B)

an MBA and Masters from the US? impressive...

If you endow a chair in a discipline with a trust fund of hard cash,

or donate a building to a department you can buy a degree

and neglect to do your oral dissertation,

and forget to use the word 'Honorary' before the Degree.

His english is pathetic, he might have had a ghost writer for the thesis, he could afford one, but it beggars belief that he passed a high level oral voi dire with a USA Uni's Master Board with his low level of english linguistic skills.

Edited by animatic

"The Pheu Thai Party is very well prepared and I am confident most people will vote for the party. More importantly, Pheu Thai will help salvage the country. For example, farmers will have credit cards, high-speed trains will be available throughout the country, and there will be a debt moratorium for farmers," Somchai said.

Sure, give me a credit card and a debt moratorium and i'll vote for you, too. That was what went wrong before - all those banks giving out loans for motorcycles and pick-ups and tv's wanted their money paid back. Poor farmers suddenly realized that stuff wasn't free. laugh.gif

Just bring the big guy back and it will be.

His english is pathetic, he might have had a ghost writer for the thesis, he could afford one, but it beggars belief that he passed a high level oral voi dire with a USA Uni's Master Board with his low level of english linguistic skills.

you say 'his'? you mean 'hers'? she got her degrees at Kentucky University unless you know otherwise? accidence?

you say 'his'? you mean 'hers'? she got her degrees at Kentucky University unless you know otherwise? accidence?

Yes I meant his Thaksin, that he trumpets so loudly.

You didn't specify hers. Though I will grant you the thread is about her,

but also about his installing her. I have heard her speak english, so no reference.

In general yes she does sem competent in general. She would have to be.

I notice Payap was no where in the running.

I hope that isn't the Kentucky University twinned with Macdonald's University. ( http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/mcd/careers/hamburger_university.html )

... back on track, the PTP is hardly likely to object to Thaksin's sister as party leader as Thaksin has them in his pocket and will isolate any member of the party who cares to object in any way (eg anything less than applause). They know their place and for those who want to wriggle, there is the door. Greedy and spineless.

Edited by yoshiwara

Object? To the sister of the Man? PT's owner - sorry, main financial contributor? Hardly . . .

But when the words: untrue, insisted, definitely, rejected and speculation appear in consecutive sentences - chances are: 1) it's true; 2) one most definitely will not happen; 3) the other most definitely will . . .

Yes I meant his Thaksin, that he trumpets so loudly.

You didn't specify hers. Though I will grant you the thread is about her,

but also about his installing her. I have heard her speak english, so no reference.

In general yes she does sem competent in general. She would have to be.

I notice Payap was no where in the running.

sorry I'm baffled... the thread is about Yingluck? I mention her degrees and you start talking about Thaksin the man? SHE took her two Masters at Kentucky and I mention it only to point out that she is not a stupid girl! not sure how you conceived I was referring to Thaksin:

EDUCATION*

Master's Degree Kentucky State University

MBA Kentucky State University

Edited by ChiangMaiFun

What's to be worried about anyway? Possibly having a prime minister with no previous experience as a politician/MP whatsoever (well, she probably would have slept through most sessions anyway)? The fact that she is Thaksin's youngest sister and surely will help the Messiah to finally find his way back home and save the country? The idea that all top positions in Pheua Thai's election list are occupied by relatives of Thaksin with Yingluck at no. 1?

All is right as long as it serves the purposes and intentions of the Big Benefactor and Financier, without whom this so-called party would not even exist.

Hail, Yingluck, the Graceful, the All-Knowing, Shining Beacon of Democracy, Protector of Her Family's Truth...

...and role model for everyone who is used by a relative to represent what they are not.

What's to be worried about anyway? Possibly having a prime minister with no previous experience as a politician/MP whatsoever (well, she probably would have slept through most sessions anyway)? The fact that she is Thaksin's youngest sister and surely will help the Messiah to finally find his way back home and save the country? The idea that all top positions in Pheua Thai's election list are occupied by relatives of Thaksin with Yingluck at no. 1?

All is right as long as it serves the purposes and intentions of the Big Benefactor and Financier, without whom this so-called party would not even exist.

Hail, Yingluck, the Graceful, the All-Knowing, Shining Beacon of Democracy, Protector of Her Family's Truth...

...and role model for everyone who is used by a relative to represent what they are not.

maybe they are following the USA model of Bush and his son?

You impress easily...

Kentucky State University

Ranked #32 amongst historically black colleges and universities

But thanks for clarifying it was not Kentucky University [sic]

(it's actually the University of Kentucky) which is ranked very much higher.

Edited by Buchholz

You impress easily...

Do they still have (did they have) black only colleges and universities in the USA? How do they differ from (presumably) white colleges and universities - Is it a status thing?

Edited by phiphidon

Do they still have (did they have) black only colleges and universities in the USA? How do they differ from (presumably) white colleges and universities - Is it a status thing?

Read up on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

Thank you rubi for answering on behalf of Bucholz. I am fully aware of racial segregation in the states and elsewhere - I still have the same question though, are the "historically black universities" different in some way - I mean why mention the fact that there are 'historically black universities" if they are the same as "historically white universities" y'all know where I'm coming from?

You impress easily...

Yes, quite so.

Read up on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

Thank you rubi for answering on behalf of Bucholz. I am fully aware of racial segregation in the states and elsewhere - I still have the same question though, are the "historically black universities" different in some way - I mean why mention the fact that there are 'historically black universities" if they are the same as "historically white universities" y'all know where I'm coming from?

More wiki for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historically_black_colleges_and_universities

and more on their ranking

http://www.usnews.com/education/articles/2010/08/17/methodology-historically-black-colleges-and-universities-rankings

To be honest, no idea. I would assume there's still a bit of prejudice against 'hist. black uni's', like people would look down on someone having studied at a 'red-brick university' rather than Oxford/Cambridge. Human bias will slowly erode, but mostly that takes a few generations. IMHO

To be honest, no idea. I would assume there's still a bit of prejudice against 'hist. black uni's', like people would look down on someone having studied at a 'red-brick university' rather than Oxford/Cambridge. Human bias will slowly erode, but mostly that takes a few generations. IMHO

Compared to the main stream ivy league universities the regional black universities are not even close to as well endowed or having the same level of facilities. That said the level of education is not bad and has some superb thinkers as tenured professors, who choose to work their but could have better paying jobs else where. And the schools have hard working dedicated students.

State universities are not generally in the same level of facilities as the Ivy Leagues. Some are, Universtiy of Kentucky is head and shoulders above Kentucky State. And the grades needed to get in and your academic standing, and to some extent language skills to get in are not has high. Also the yearly fees are much lower. To some extent you get what you paid for and it's not just a fancy name on the resume.

On the other had a great student can start in Kentucky State and by applying himself can win enough grades and a scholarship to transfer to U. of K. This would be something they would want to do,

Edited by animatic

Compared to the main stream ivy league universities the regional black universities are not even close to as well endowed or having the same level of facilities. That said the level of education is not bad and has some superb thinkers as tenured professors, who choose to work their but could have better paying jobs else where. And the schools have hard working dedicated students.

State universities are not generally in the same level of facilities as the Ivy Leagues. Some are, Universtiy of Kentucky is head and shoulders above Kentucky State. And the grades needed to get in and your academic standing, and to some extent language skills to get in are not has high. Also the yearly fees are much lower. To some extent you get what you paid for and it's not just a fancy name on the resume.

On the other had a great student can start in Kentucky State and by applying himself can win enough grades and a scholarship to transfer to U. of K. This would be something they would want to do,

Pretty common for well off families to send their not-so-smart kids to the "University of Bumphuck" located in Nowherville Nebraska.

I once had a co-worker try to one-up me when he trotted out in conversation that he had an MBA from San Diego. I asked him "oh, University of California in San Diego?" and he went all quiet and it turned out he got it from a non-name college there.

Seem that Ms Yingluck was one of these very typical Thai students who get sent abroad. Not so bright, but plenty of cash.

They should rename the party "Peau Thaksin", cause that is all it is. A vehicle for his ego.

Edited by samran

Abhisit's educational background is massively more impressive.

If Yingluck makes PM, I reckon she'll be first world leader to come out of KSU.

On another board, a red shirt admirer waxed poetical that she'll be the Thai Indira Ghandi.

Okie. Dokie.

Edited by Jingthing

You impress easily...

you mention of 'black university' is slightly disturbing as if this makes it LESS valid as a university!

You impress easily...

Yes, quite so.

its obviously important to the yellow posters that she 'only' went to a historically black university - quite telling and not surprising

no one 'looks down' on people who went to 'normal' Universities in England - never come across it - yes there are rankings based on academic performance (mine comes 14th) but so what? the scores needed for a degree are based by academic boards and apply to all degrees. The only difference is that Cambridge and Oxford give Masters degrees automatically after a few years even though only a 'Bachelors' was studied for - so ALL Oxford and Cambridge graduates have Masters - traditional for some reason.

its obviously important to the yellow posters that she 'only' went to a historically black university - quite telling and not surprising

The fact that she went to a 'historically black university' isn't the issue.

The issue is that she went to a university that was rated fairly low in a particular grouping. Where would it stand if it was rated against all US universities?