Rainy Songkran

Larry

I've spoken to many Thais, even quite old ones, and no one has ever experienced anything like this. Not only is it cool and rainy this Songkran, but the rain is torrential....reminiscent of a monsoon. Any thoughts? My friend said....God is showing that His water gun is the largest one of all!

The monsoon-rains have started very early, after a shorter/cooler 'hot-abd-dry' season, or maybe the gods just wanted to join-in the fun ? It didn't stop Mrs R & the kids from taking the battle-wagon into town, so BEWARE ! :unsure::ermm::rolleyes:

Huh? It rains at least one day on Songkan almost every year.

Yes it does normally rain during Songkran but it's generally just one quick storm.

True, but the cool weather does not seem to be stopping too many - at least where I live near Thapae Gate. :huh:

Edited by Ulysses G.

:blink: Huh? It rains at least one day on Songkan almost every year.

Yeah, but usually a tiny litlte bit in the evening/late afternoon after a hot and sunny day. The hot & sunny part was absent today.

Still didn't stop too many people, indeed. And didn't stop me.

However I will add that the ice and icey water was a little bit too much today. Best bars around LK today.. Number 1 (no ice water, good atmosphere) and Easy Corner (LOUD speakers outside).

Still road my bicycle around and around the moat. Cold a heck with the ice water poured over you but all in the fun. Cold beer did not help to warm us up maybe should have drank coffee. Still fun but not that many people. Warmest part of the day was riding home. I want more people, some sun and cold beer today. This is my wish but I'll take what is giving.

Edited by sendbaht

It should be a better day today as the weather radar is showing the entire region clear. Yesterday it was just a yellow-green mass of Songkran subduing stuff. We ended up quitting a bit earlier but still had fun. The shivering stopped after a hot shower!

post-498-0-24177800-1302738256_thumb.png

I saw a group wearing rain ponchos and throwing water yesterday, I guess they can dish it out but they can't take it.

I saw three different dudes walking around with full face motorcycle helmets on. One guy even had a waterproof camera housing on top. Whatever it takes to join in I guess......

Weather Radar on the blink then ! 08.34 and heavily overcast in Hang Dong. If anything it looks like more rain coming today.

It should be a better day today as the weather radar is showing the entire region clear. Yesterday it was just a yellow-green mass of Songkran subduing stuff. We ended up quitting a bit earlier but still had fun. The shivering stopped after a hot shower!

Weather Radar on the blink then ! 08.34 and heavily overcast in Hang Dong. If anything it looks like more rain coming today.

It's light, high altitude cover. Weather radar picks up heavy clouds that'll produce rain.

Either way, I would prefer blasting sunshine, yes.

I'm loving this Sonkran

Got up at 5am to sneak into town for the market, did all my shopping, didn't see one retard with a water pistol or bucket.

And now it's bloody freezing so nobody is daft enough to play with water.

Hurrah!

Heh. We'll see about that. Plan to bring some warm water (for a different effect) and head into town. ;)

Great idea. Even yesterday, the tap water felt warmer than the air. Let your clothes start to dry out a bit and it got reall chilly. I was glad to see very little ice being used. Don't like the frigid blasts. The sun sure is lazy about peeking out today......

Heh. We'll see about that. Plan to bring some warm water (for a different effect) and head into town. ;)

Heh heh, I'll bring some too - in a kettle......

Seriously, me and Mrs Pikey left Number 1 last night about 7pm and it was bloody freezing riding back to San Sai. It was fun sharing a hot shower though :lol:

Enjoy your Songkran whatever the weather everyone!

Cheers,

Pikey.

I think that Songkrahn will (should?) be extended for another day or two beyond the final day just to make up for the days of fun lost due to the cool, cloudy weather.

I agree. How anyone could not enjoy this holiday is beyond me.