Killing Spree In Bangkok, Carjacker Murders Two

webfact

Probe into killing rampage

By The Nation

30153220-01.jpg

Committee will look into extrajudicial killing of suspect, check if hostage was hit by police bullet

The Police Bureau will set up a panel to investigate the extrajudicial killing of a man from Nakhon Si Thammarat, who went on a killing rampage on Thursday before being cut down by a hail of gunfire that may have also badly injured the woman he was holding hostage.

National Police chief General Wichean Potephosree said yesterday police would set up a committee, led by the Metropolitan Police chief, to uncover the truth behind a dramatic series of killings in Bangkok that left three dead and several others badly injured. Police would also look into the hostage-rescue operation, named Korakot 52, Wichean said.

He admitted police had made some mistakes while responding to the fast-unfolding incident, and said that they needed to improve their operational strategy, radio communication and the setting up of checkpoints. Referring to the suspect's alleged history of drug use, Wichean said he believed that the man had gone on the rampage after taking a large dose of ya ba (speed).

National Police spokesman Maj-General Prawut Thavornsiri said the committee would also investigate if the police took the correct course of action and if they had endangered the 28-year-old hostage, Dr Pipattra Sailohit.

Prawut said that police had the right to shoot suspect Thada Inthamas, 37, because he had gone berserk, lost control of his faculties, and there was the risk of him doing more harm.

In response to Dr Pipattra's mother saying that a police bullet had hit her daughter, Prawut said the investigation panel would study footage captured by all security cameras in the area, as well as get a first-hand account from the victim.

Police Senior Sgt Major Jiroj Boonthongkham, who was run over by the suspect while trying to stop him from escaping, is currently being treated at the Police General Hospital for injuries to his neck and left ankle. He will initially be given Bt150,000 in compensation.

Meanwhile, chief of Metropolitan Police Division 1 Maj-General Wichai Sangprapai called yesterday for people to be sympathetic to police officers involved in the case, because the suspect had gone on daring and cruel rampage and had to be stopped before he harmed more people.

Wichai said several police units were working together at the time, but nobody knew the suspect had taken a hostage, adding that the car had tinted windows.

"It happened so fast. It took just 18 minutes for Thada to get to Sri Ayutthaya intersection after hijacking a car in Nonthaburi. Then he hijacked another car, taking the doctor hostage. Getting from that point to Victory Monument took just three minutes," he said, adding that nobody had filed a police complaint about the hostage getting injured.

Wichai explained that reports said Thada had been abusing ya ba for a long time and that blood tests also showed that he had taken amphetamines. Though the suspect was allegedly under severe stress due to personal issues, police believe his behaviour stemmed from drug abuse in line with the testimony of retired 2nd Lieutenant Wichai Wilairassami, whose car was hijacked by Thada in Nonthaburi. The victim said Thada looked like he was high on drugs.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-16

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Son vows to honour dead father's wish

By THE NATION

30153221-01.jpg

The 12-year-old son of the policeman killed in Thursday's rampage by a drug addict says he will fulfil his father's dream by becoming a police cadet.

Sixth-grader Prakasit Pirasri said that he will do his best to take care of his mother and his four-year-old younger brother after his father's premature death in the hands of a man believed to acting under the influence of drug.

The boy's father Senior Sgt-Major Likhasit Pirasri, a traffic policeman at Bangkok's Dusit police station, was stabbed repeatedly and shot dead by Thada Inthamas, 37, who had a history of drug abuse. The assailant was later shot dead by police after he killed a taxi driver and took a female doctor hostage.

"I will work harder at school so that I can pass the exam to study in the police cadet school, as my father wished," Prakasit said.

His father, a non-commissioned officer, did not attend the prestigious Royal Police Cadet Academy.

"My father was my hero. He loved our family very much. He left home for work at 6 every morning and returned home at 3 in the afternoon if he had no other tasks at work," the boy said.

The boy's mother and the dead policeman's wife, Benjawan Pirasri, 38, said yesterday that her husband always wanted his eldest son to become a police cadet. She added that she hoped the Royal Thai Police would offer assistance regarding her two sons' education.

Benjawan said she still could accept her husband's premature death.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban yesterday offered his condolences to the policeman's family. He promised financial assistance to ensure that the policeman's sons would get good educations.

Police spokesman Maj-General Prawut Thawornsiri said Benjawan would be offered a job at the Royal Thai Police to ensure that she could afford to take care of her family following the death of her husband. Assistance would be given to her sons so that they could complete university education.

Likhasit would be promoted posthumously to the rank of police major in honour of his sacrifice, according to the spokesman.

Separate bathing rite ceremonies, with holy water from the Royal Household Bureau, were held at Wat Sukantharam, which is located opposite the Dusit police station, for Likhasit and Amnat Poungsungnoen, the taxi driver who was killed in the rampage trying to block the assailant's getaway. The ceremonies were presided over by national police chief General Wichean Potephosree.

The taxi driver's mother, Saithong, yesterday tearfully lamented her son's untimely death while collecting his body at the morgue. Just recently he phoned her to tell her that he would visit her and other relatives in Nong Khai after the Songkran festival.

"I'm so sad he died like this but I'm proud that he was a good citizen trying to help police catch a bad guy," she said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-16

What a sad story. Someone should post a link to a donation site to help the family.

A lot of terrible things are said about Thai police but my experences with them have mostly been good. Back in the states I hated cops with a passion until my last arrest (protesting the Iraq war) I discovered that I was related to a captain on the force who taught me a good lesson about empathy.

Thai cops have to do a lot more independent decision making than western cops. They do not wear vests but are quick to jump in the fray. My wife described a running shoot out between cops and a drug suspect that that passed in front of her car. It sounded like something out of a movie.

I have to give them credit they are making an effort. I see them every day checking for helmets and license I've been stopped several times and they were always pleasent. I even got a couple of parking tickets! It is a tough job and they really don't know if they will make it home each night.

I have to give them credit they are making an effort. I see them every day checking for helmets and license I've been stopped several times and they were always pleasent. I even got a couple of parking tickets! It is a tough job and they really don't know if they will make it home each night.

I actually believe that you are being sincere, would you mind holding your hands up so I can check how many fingers you have crossed, oh, and would you mind slipping me a couple of hundred Baht to make me smile and make hammock time come early today.

And.......

Thai cops have to do a lot more independent decision making than western cops. They do not wear vests but are quick to jump in the fray. My wife described a running shoot out between cops and a drug suspect that that passed in front of her car. It sounded like something out of a movie.

1. They have to make their own decisions as the people controlling or directing them care for nothing more than their cut of the spoils.

2. Some are quick to jump into the fray, some.

3. Keystone Cops.

2. Some are quick to jump into the fray, some.

Sorry to quote myself, but I thought I would explain that a little further.

There are three sorts of people that are prepared to jump into the fray as you put it.

Heroes, fools, and bullies with guns.

And there are not that many heroes in the RTP.

just a point re the shooting of the doctor/hostage

From post #32 above

Wichai said several police units were working together at the time, but nobody knew the suspect had taken a hostage, adding that the car had tinted windows.

While I am not sure I agree with how the police handled this situation, I can certainly understand that there comes a time when the perpetrator is so dangerous that he has to be stopped. Imagine if he was driving the car at high speed straight into a crowd of children. Then, hostage or no hostage, he has to be shot and stopped.

To the former Police or COPS in the forum.

I'm just curious, what happens in "developed" countries when a cop "unintentionally" or "mistakenly" shoots/kills an innocent person; and/or when a cop needs to make a sensitive "judgment call" to shoot and an innocent victim is killed ?

1) Suspended?

2) Fired?

3) Criminally charged?

4) Cover-up?

5) Slap on the Wrist

Just curious :blink:

I'm just saying it's a tough job and MY PERSONAL experence with them so far has actually been better than the jack booted, commando wannabee, bastards back in the states.

That said, my wife hates them with a passion. I thought she was going to get herself arrested trying to argue me out of a ticket. The rest of her family feel the same way.

Like I said, I'm just trying to be a little empathic. I have no earthly idea why anyone would want that life.

Since you asked, I know of three such shootings in the great state of Maine in the past couple of months. One was a vet who had gone off his meds and was shot on the grounds of the VA hospital. I have first hand knowledge of an incident where 6 cops had a drunk with a knife surrounded. He was so drunk he could barely stand up. I they would have given him a moment he would have probably passed out.

The U.S. Department of Justice does not require police departments to report deadly shootings statistics(conveniently) Some FBI statistics indicate the number of people fatally shot by police each year has changed little in the past five years, with about 360 (600 shot)dying at the hands of police in one recent year.

But researchers who study trends in crime suspect an important shift may be under way: Police-related fatalities and instances of abuse, which have traditionally been associated with large urban areas, are occurring in smaller cities and towns

Google Amadou Diallo

Edited by Schooner

The cops present at the beginning of the situation obviously forgot to mention that a hostage had been taken when they told their colleagues at the other end that a cop killer was coming their way.

Yes, the equivalent of Fog Of War.

At least someone says they will investigate the whole incident

and see what was done wrong or right.

Luckily, the two passengers, both foreigners, escaped
Straight out of a Hollywood script. :blink: Luckily it ended well for them.

I've been in a similar situation and I don't consider myself lucky! These kinds of things leave you with memories that last a lifetime - there are always reminders. Some people have post-traumatic stress, survivor's guilt, anger, grief and depression that lasts for years! It's not like watching a movie!

The cops present at the beginning of the situation obviously forgot to mention that a hostage had been taken when they told their colleagues at the other end that a cop killer was coming their way.

Yes, the equivalent of Fog Of War.

At least someone says they will investigate the whole incident

and see what was done wrong or right.

Didnt you lot read the other posts?

RIP to those dead and a quick recovery for the injured.

sad news. the guy went beserk. so much harm, very bad.

Couldn't he have been held and checked at the police station for the week earlier offence ????? possible this could have been avoided, I maybe wrong.

Known ya-ba user ???? no one could have stopped this ???? prevention better than cure !! ---- Money family eh!!

Maybe bringing back Thaksin is the answer. Thai's aren't scared of anyone anymore while criminals and law-abiding citizens alike seem to have even less respect than ever before for government or law enforcement. Our thoughts should be with the victims and the police who are ill-equipt and funded for their difficult task and without the psychological help they need.

Under equipped? Sounds to me like the police had plenty of ammo.

Five bullets in the head... great shootin', Tex.

Yet another story about how the Royal Thai Police will never and I repeat NEVER do anything about drug scum UNLESS they either:

a.) kill someone

b.) are "ripe" for picking

RIP to the victims and RIP to whatever decency this country's police and justice ministry (ever) had.

Drugas are a nasty disease and plight on every country. Does AA and NA work in Thai society?

There are AA meetings, for exanble here in Pattaya (dont know about NA) but what i think is that treatment centers, followed by AA meetings are badly needed here.

Yaba, (methamphetamine), is the devil's "gift" to the world. Truly nasty stuff. Truly sad for the victims and their families. Yaba makers and dealers deserve to have their heads ripped off and a big nasty dump taken down their necks.

5 head shots and two defensive wounds to his hands? I think the police didn't want him to survive....head shots are very difficult unless you're no more than a few feet away and to get 5 of 'em in......that means the police were very close....

I read half the responses here and just wanted to post saying that the cops who got this dude were heroes. They saved lives.

Still, there were innocent people dead, and for that we should all be grievous.

Of course, the guy had problems, got out of control, on drugs, split up with his wife, whatever else... he was a social outcast and went crazy. Happens everywhere now and again. Real shame he had to take others down with him. I hope he gets a better roll of the dice if there's a next time around.

5 head shots and two defensive wounds to his hands? I think the police didn't want him to survive....head shots are very difficult unless you're no more than a few feet away and to get 5 of 'em in......that means the police were very close....

Just a bloody lot of bullets. Lucky there wasn't a darn site more deaths/Injuries.

jb1

As this guy was "wired on meth" I might mention that over songkran I noticed many locals that seem wired, high and/or drunk while standing on streets throwing water at people. A fair % of them were ominous some were dancing continuously as if in a trance. This can be consistent with intoxication.

Seems in this case the cops actually had to stop a "bad guy" as opposed to the usual stop non bad guys for fast money. Sure does not appear they posses proper training/skills in dealing with situations in which they must actually fight crime.

I am vmost sorry for the child that lost his father, and his mom. Senseless loss of life.

Its hard to believe 5 bullets in the head were needed. Sounds like the PM is a case for Thailands Dr. Death

Hypothetically.

If the perp had the gun in his hand, up near his head

that could explain the 'defensive wounds'

They shot at the weapon.

Surely they must investigate all this,

but If I were coming up against a man who had just killed

as many and as brutally as the reports have stated,

then I would have zero tolerance if I saw him raise a gun.

Edited by animatic

Was wondering what you anti-cop types would have done in a similar situation?

What they had on their hands was a clown crazy on drugs who had already killed a cop and a taxi driver and injured another cop and they knew he had a gun and knife.

Do you think any of them would have been keen to be the next casualty?

Tell me anywhere in the world the reaction of the cops would have been any different?

Seems to me that all the tyres shot out and 5 shots to the head was pretty good shooting with not one bystander injured, remember this happened in the middle of crowded BKK and it seems was at a moving target.

:) That sure is a lot of speculation :)

I would think that the police will rally around their comrades, as they should. There will be an investigation and I doubt that it will be any more white-washed than anywhere else.

In spite of the reputation for corruption. The police, I am sure, would rather handle these situations as best they can. There really aren't any winners.

“1. They have to make their own decisions as the people controlling or directing them care for nothing more than their cut of the spoils.”

You must be psychic! Not only do you know what is in my mind but the hearts and minds of every Thai cop in the nation. I'm sure that the cop who lost his life trying to stop this guy was only thinking of how much money he could earn and kick up. I'm sure that his family would be pleased to hear you say that.

Obviously you know better how to manage the national police force in Thailand. Instead of relaxing in your hammock you should gather your genus friends, rush to Bangkok and present your suggestions. I'm sure they would be happy to hear from you because everyone knows that farang know what is best for Thailand and the Thai people.

Good luck with that.

Son vows to honour dead father's wish

By THE NATION

30153221-01.jpg

The 12-year-old son of the policeman killed in Thursday's rampage by a drug addict says he will fulfil his father's dream by becoming a police cadet.

Sixth-grader Prakasit Pirasri said that he will do his best to take care of his mother and his four-year-old younger brother after his father's premature death in the hands of a man believed to acting under the influence of drug.

The boy's father Senior Sgt-Major Likhasit Pirasri, a traffic policeman at Bangkok's Dusit police station, was stabbed repeatedly and shot dead by Thada Inthamas, 37, who had a history of drug abuse. The assailant was later shot dead by police after he killed a taxi driver and took a female doctor hostage.

"I will work harder at school so that I can pass the exam to study in the police cadet school, as my father wished," Prakasit said.

His father, a non-commissioned officer, did not attend the prestigious Royal Police Cadet Academy.

"My father was my hero. He loved our family very much. He left home for work at 6 every morning and returned home at 3 in the afternoon if he had no other tasks at work," the boy said.

The boy's mother and the dead policeman's wife, Benjawan Pirasri, 38, said yesterday that her husband always wanted his eldest son to become a police cadet. She added that she hoped the Royal Thai Police would offer assistance regarding her two sons' education.

Benjawan said she still could accept her husband's premature death.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban yesterday offered his condolences to the policeman's family. He promised financial assistance to ensure that the policeman's sons would get good educations.

Police spokesman Maj-General Prawut Thawornsiri said Benjawan would be offered a job at the Royal Thai Police to ensure that she could afford to take care of her family following the death of her husband. Assistance would be given to her sons so that they could complete university education.

Likhasit would be promoted posthumously to the rank of police major in honour of his sacrifice, according to the spokesman.

Separate bathing rite ceremonies, with holy water from the Royal Household Bureau, were held at Wat Sukantharam, which is located opposite the Dusit police station, for Likhasit and Amnat Poungsungnoen, the taxi driver who was killed in the rampage trying to block the assailant's getaway. The ceremonies were presided over by national police chief General Wichean Potephosree.

The taxi driver's mother, Saithong, yesterday tearfully lamented her son's untimely death while collecting his body at the morgue. Just recently he phoned her to tell her that he would visit her and other relatives in Nong Khai after the Songkran festival.

"I'm so sad he died like this but I'm proud that he was a good citizen trying to help police catch a bad guy," she said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-16

RIP, they'll hopefully give them enough money to afford a decent education.