Secret Handshakes, Codewords, And Dual Pricing.

CMSteve

I've guess I've been thinking from my stomach this whole time, I didn't even consider the other possibilities. Thanks for the update.

My wife is a ThaiVisa sponser and as such most of her orders are because of this forum, so she offers a 5% discount to first time buyers, and 7% discount to those that buy a second latex mattress or topper from her.

www.latexinnovations.com

With the exception of the superstores and chains I find I can usually negotiate a 10% discount especially on large items everywhere.

I agree Sam.

After I built my house and furnished it, I can't think of one place that I paid the asking price. It's quite obvious that the sellers have a minimum price that they will go to, but it can be thousands less than the advertised or asking price.

This is something so ingrained in the culture that it is expected as a minimum. In fact, most guides, guide books, thai's, and expat's will warn new comers of the over pricing and the need to negotiate. Do you think 10% is enough? Not including the night bazaar, walkings streets, and other venues that are designed to overcharge tourists, do you think 10% off at local places is a good discount or more of a starting point?

With the exception of the superstores and chains I find I can usually negotiate a 10% discount especially on large items everywhere.

I agree Sam.

After I built my house and furnished it, I can't think of one place that I paid the asking price. It's quite obvious that the sellers have a minimum price that they will go to, but it can be thousands less than the advertised or asking price.

Thats what I meant by "not including the night bazaar, walkings streets, and other venues that are designed to overcharge tourists, do you think 10% off at local places is a good discount or more of a starting point?"

I said LARGE items like furniture and electronics. On items at the night bazaar (where I wouldn't shop to begin with) I would ask and receive 40% to 50%.

I agree with Sam, don't shop at the night bazaar, but if you do make your starting price equally as ridiculous as their starting price, otherwise you will pay over the top. Foreigners feel embarrassed to start at say 20-25% and the sellers know this. But if you start at 50%, you'll probably end up paying 75-85% of the asking price, when your aim is really to pay 40 or 50%. Start low and go up in small increments.

For large items it all depends how comfortable a person feels asking for a large discount in a store and it often depends on how much you are buying. I am constantly surprised by the amount of discount that my wife gets, (which is often much more than if I had tried for the same amount). However, farang's can still get quite good discounts, if you stand your ground and 'flash the cash'.

Edited by uptheos