Crackdown On Internet Cafes And On-line Games

george

Playing games is better than doing drugs

So you, and others, say that for kids the (only?) alternative to play games in Thailand is drugs?

And what is better than playing games then?

There are probably as manyif not more kids who do not play games and do not do drugs. What are these doing? Did we mention sex? because usually that's when it comes "online"...

~S

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is an interesting debate.

I remember spending hours on Space Invader in arcades when I was young,don't think it affected me to much.Although I still play PC games,as many adults on here do.

What would these kids be doing if they did not have this outlet?on the streets?drugs?

I think online gaming/chat helps teach kids to think quickly,interact with others and possibly even help their English skillls more.Thats on top of the computer skills they might learn.

Were are the kids from that have problems  in your experince  VanZam? Thai or western?.

Well said. Kids playing on PC's can't be all that bad. What else would you rather kids do? TV or hanging around the streets. At least in most cases you know where they are and there is normally an adult around. Most of these games require a level of PC skill and English and should lead kids on to more constructive things with PC's and wanting there own PC

Seems to me that most people are "addicted" to some form of entertainment, and that most such entertainment is indoors. Whether it's watching TV programs, watching sports, building model airplanes and ships, doing jigsaw puzzles, reading books, collecting things, needlepoint, or gardening; there is some form of entertainment that usually dominates the free time of nearly everyone.

I grew up addicted to sports. When I wasn't playing, I was either watching on TV, or inventing games to pretend there was action. I was a child long before computers were available to the general population. I created a baseball game, played with a deck of ordinary playing cards, in which each card represented a ball, strike, or play result. I spent many hours every week in turning over the cards, "announcing" the results of the pitch, and keeping score of every game. I kept the statistics for each player throughout my imaginary season, and then started again the next year. I drove my mother NUTS with this "virtual world" I created long before such a term was created. ... Yes, I grew to be a relatively normal person, with a relatively successful business career. I am, of course, still a rabid sports fan. But that addiction hasn't spoiled my life, or the lives of others.

I agree that it is healthier for children, who have lots of free time, to adopt more than one form of entertainment to fill that time. But I don't think that any one form is necessarily more damaging to the psyche of a child than any other. I think our psychology experts here would agree that addiction is, in itself, a problem that will always find a home. If an addictive personality is blocked from access to one addiction, he'll replace it with another.

As has been said here, the development of a child is primarily the responsibility of the parents. The role of the government in any society should, IMO, be to provide sound advice, education, and choices to parents to help them make the healthy decisions for their children. The government should guide, not control.

In this particular case, there is no doubt that the comment about the profits from the "licenses" are the real motivation behind this. Otherwise, simply enforce a ban. There's no need for a "license". So, while I support the principle behind Taksin's plan, I would strongly oppose the methods used to reduce the time that children spend on computer games. Give the parents the facts. Provide them with some ideas for alternatives. Then leave it to them to work it out.

George

i don't think this is all about games and it's effects on a childs disposition, i actually think the underlying intent from the government is censorship.

when my wife first came to england 2.5 years ago she was very happy with the state of thailand's politics. however now through the power of the internet and news articles not generally available to the populas outside bkk she has seen the lies and deceipt that goes on.

now the government in thailand can not have educated people now can they :o

It makes no difference to me if they license these places or not--it depends on their purpose. As far as on-line gaming and "addiction", this is a perennial problem with young people. Children need to be taught--over a very long period of time--how to do things in moderation. Every generation and nearly all young people have gotten "into" something that became an unhealthy passion.

Some of these passions turn into truly positive occupations and achievements. Others bring people into ruin and despair. There is no one singular answer for kids. Some will have a facination that will increase their skill and move them on to better things.

It's a little bit of everyone's responsibility to help in situations like these. A lot has to do with parents, custodians, and teachers. Don't let kids engage in these passions if they interefere with something. This means, not staying out past a certain time, not missing dinner, doing your homework etc. It's about instilling self-restraint and discipline a long and slow processes with kids, but it's what being a kid is about and what parenting is all about.

As an ex gaming addict myself, i will voice my opinion on this...

These games are dangerous if left unchecked, if the kids are left to play them without supervision these games can be more powerful, more addictive than drugs. One of the very first professional, sucsessul games was called Everquest, it is still running today (and thats got to be getting close to 10 years now) - its been termed as "Evercrack" by many players, because its addictive qualities were as powerful as the drug. You simply _had_ to get that extra level, get that powerful sword, kill that dragon, defeat that evil warlord... I know/knew people who would play these games 18hrs a day, stopping only to sleep, eat, often in front of the computer and use the bathroom. H3ll, i was one of them for longer than i care to admit to! Going outside, interacting with RL (Real life, the real world) was something that happened only when it absolutely had to happen, not because you chose to. RL Friends came to see you, or you simply didnt see them anymore (unless they played as well) These games can be very dangerous but in moderation these games are quite harmless, quite fun, and can be educational to an extent. They increase computer skills, both technical knowledge and typing skills, they help written communication in whatever language, they help reflexes and hand-to-eye co-ordination. To a degree they help social interaction, and in todays world the computer, the internet is the future, like it or not, its the truth... refuse to acknowledge it and you will be left behind. deal with it.

Also, whats worse, spending 2-3 hours in front of the TV in an evening watching whatever bull$hit the station wants to air or being on the computer playing games, surfing the net, chatting in chat rooms and interacting with friends who happen to be on the opposite side of the world, or maybe just down the road? Same same no?

Its a balance, everything in moderation, whilst the children need to be protected and educated against the dangers of life, todays dangers may not be restricted to the drugs on the street, the petty crimes done for dares, the fighting in the playground - the dangers that todays parents grew up with, todays dangers also include aspects of the internet. Parents, Teachers and members of the family need to be aware of this.

Addiction is a problem, i myself am a recovering addict and yes the frist thing i was addicted to was video games. I then discovered the joys of drugs and enjoyed them very much. Eventually it all went pear shaped and i went looking for help and thank god am ok today. But to say that it was video games that cause my problem is not true. I personaly believe i am an addict and ANYTHING i can escape into could cause a potenal problem for ME.

Does this mean that all the people who can take one drink, smoke a joint, play a game, ect....... should be prevented from doing this, because a very small number of people like me may develop a problem. Of course not, addiction is a complacted disease that affects many different people in many differnt ways. Prohabition DOES NOT WORK. IMHO The only thing that can be done is to insure there is help available for people when it all goes wrong.

TJ

When I'd finished laughing, I realised that it's just another case of the underpriveleged getting the short end of the stick again. Naturally the minister's son will still have his "X Box" and be able to play on line with his super quick ADSL connection that daddy pays for :D

i dont understand whats wrong here.....

case underpriveledged

they spend all their time n money on these gaming places.....while they should be studying hard to make a good future and move to the priveledged section......

addiction to games would probably ruin their lives n career....

case minister's son

whats the problem here if the dude keeps on playin online games and gets sevierly addicted?

One sympton of gaming and online chatting is a corruptive effect on language. Your entry stands as perfect proof.

:o

what does gaming have to do with crruption in language? do we expect a "crackdown on corruption in language" anytime soon?

the corruptive effect on language is due to chatting, spell checker in outlook....

i wouldnt call it corruptive effect......evolution might be a better word.

im sure shakesphere would consider your language corruptive....

Addicitive personalities usually find something to become addicted to. Games are certainly not the most damaging I would suggest - compare it to drugs, alcohol, shoplifting or even extreame sports.

If students are missing school, then the BiB should be cracking down on the kids IN the cafes - not hard to miss realy are they! A cop goes in, takes the names of the kids and reports them to their parents/school. It is no more the fault of the cafe that kids are breaking the law by bunking off school than it would be a reason to close down a library if the kids bunked off and spent the afternoons there instead.

Younger kids should be in bed rather than at cafes at night. However, again, why is it the cafe's fault. The kids should be under a parental curfew and should be controlled by their parents. The BiB should, on seeing young kids out alone after dark, send (or escourt) them home and have a 'chat' with the parents.

Of course, all this is mute because the BiB could not give a flying fig about it. At worse they may make the cafe pay a 'fine' ( :o ) and leave the kids playing!

If kids become addicted, the parents should be able to recognise this and do something about it - taking away their pocket money might be a start!

Playing games is better than doing drugs

So you, and others, say that for kids the (only?) alternative to play games in Thailand is drugs?

And what is better than playing games then?

There are probably as manyif not more kids who do not play games and do not do drugs. What are these doing? Did we mention sex? because usually that's when it comes "online"...

~S

Not sure that playing games is better than doing drugs, as it's not sure that drinking alcohol is better than smoking majijuana, because games and alcohol are not forbidden, and so too readily available.

Wouldn't like to be a kid in this country: playing games will soon be forbidden as taking drugs, and sex is still taboo !!! ;-)

Addiction is a problem, i myself am a recovering addict and yes the frist thing i was addicted to was video games. I then discovered the joys of drugs and enjoyed them very much. Eventually it all went pear shaped and i went looking for help and thank god am ok today. But to say that it was video games that cause my problem is not true. I personaly believe i am an addict and ANYTHING i can escape into could cause a potenal problem for ME.

Does this mean that all the people who can take one drink, smoke a joint, play a game, ect....... should be prevented from doing this, because a very small number of people like me may develop a problem. Of course not, addiction is a complacted disease that affects many different people in many differnt ways. Prohabition DOES NOT WORK. IMHO The only thing that can be done is to insure there is help available for people when it all goes wrong.

TJ

Let me get this straight, you used to play alot of video games, an "adict even", and then you started a hardcore drug addiction?

And you are not sure which of these addictions screwed up your life?

TJ

Let me get this straight, you used to play alot of video games, an "adict even", and then you started a hardcore drug addiction?

TJ

Addictive personalities will inevitably latch onto whatever takes their fancy.Playing mindless games,doing dope,smoking,drinking or,heaven forbid, contributing to internet fora just to name a few.The point is, in a tedious and ultimately pointless world we all engage in behaviour that may attract opprobrium from time to time but who can possibly assume the high moral ground with impunity? Presumably, the architects behind this latest scheme are the same dunderheads who advocate children should stand in the stifling heat and pollution collecting money on the tollways?

Listen to yourselves here. Computers itself is now very addictive. You go on the plane, and presto people use computers. You go to an office and people use computers. You go to your house and we use the computers. Yes it can also be very addictive that you end up shutting out your family and friends and you would be using such for many hours. And believe me time does go by when one is focused on the computer doing all sorts of things.

As for me playing flight sim Century of Flight in the evening certainly keeps me away from those nasty mossies, and of course the girls who are looking for human ATM's.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So but to control such as they say here, well it will put a dent on the internet cafes all around, and of course it frees up some telephone lines so you can make a call!!!!!

However being realistic, those who can afford buying a computer be it a desktop of a small version to a small notebook, they will use it to play the games and whatever pleases them. This basically will hurt those who cannot come up with a minimum of say 25,000 baht to get a computer here.

Once the communication is wide open, it is hard to stop such communication or sales of those CD's and programs including downloading of such and so on and so forth.

So the bottom line is there is some truth to the addiction and of the medical facts of such possibly dementing the minds of kids today. When I was a kid, I went out to play baseball or football or basketball and even went to dances etc., and had a super great time of which I will never forget plus forging good friends in that same process. Today, the kids here in Thailand don't even know how to throw a baseball much less play it or know how to play many different kinds of sports other than kickboxing or boxing or trying to become gypsies or drug dealers etc. Think about it. What kind of social life do they have?????? compared to us old folks who had some real fun in our lifetime.

Ask them how to multiply 40 by 40 and see what kind of answer they can give to you coming out of their brains. They don't even know simple arithmetic. This is not only here friends, it also happens in the USA too. I have seen both sides and sadly the educational standards is way below par in many places including in USA.

Just my thoughts

Daveyo

Edited by DaveYo

All those years on the couch playing Nintendo and PlayStation appear to be paying off for surgeons. Researchers found that doctors who spent at least three hours a week playing video games made about 37 percent fewer mistakes in laparoscopic surgery and performed the task 27 percent faster than their counterparts who did not play video games.

Maybe he was just gay, or shy, or even girls just don't fancy him because he is a gamer nerd? Sounds like the parents are looking for something they can blame the boy's failure with the opposite sex on rather than their own failure as parents. Seriously, all of the kids I see in the internet cafes don't seem to mind a bit of social interaction. So much so in fact, the noise they generate seems to be of epic proportions.

I think this is an interesting point: Internet cafes are pretty social places. Much better than sitting at home and locking yourself in the basement.

I agree with many others here that parents must parent the kids - the Government can't and where it tries, it will fail spectacularly.

Are games really so bad? A lot of kids - young kids, mind you - in other countries are fighting with drug addiction or sniffing glue.

Also, the "healthy" alternatives like watching TV(?!) I don't consider particularly helpful for development either.

If the government wanted to do something profound, they would see who's playing at 3am, and have a little chat with the children's parents instead of fining the cafe owner. Educate the parents on what's going on - though it will probably fall on deaf ears. The parents are the root of the problem and any solution must start there.

As it is the government decides to "crackdown". In Thailand the meaning is as follows: A temporary effort to suppress an activity which has the following effects:

1) The government can sell itself as "having done something" about whichever problem people give top ranks in opinion polls. I think this is the main reason these things happen. Media - 99% government controlled - can write that there is a crackdown and people feel like the gov takes care of things. Re-election, there we go.

2) The government makes some $ for police via fines and bribes.

3) The long term effect is absolutely zero. In three month's time everybody has forgotten about the crackdown, and a couple of years down the road it can be revived and used again.

The Rule of the Media is not nearly as stupid as people think.

Edited by nikster

The problem with on line gaming is not in the playing the game its self but rather the lack of parental responsibility! ]

How does the government regulate parental responsibility?

One last thing, most of the people being affected by this legislation are minors and as such, are not a threat to the government for the time being.

no wonder thais are generally inept at computers. you do not learn about computers by playing games all the time. and you do not learn about real life from watching TV all the time. however, this crackdown smells of US big brother style and as likely the local thai police will probably enforce sparingly. and, now the thai kids will have nothing else to do except, drugs and sex with little thai girls. problem, reaction, solution creates more problems...

children’s addiction to the electronic games.

"The measures include registration of Internet cafes or on-line game shops, as that applied to clinics and drugstores

accessible to children who tend to be addicted to.

on-line games causes adverse effects to children, especially on their physical, mental and emotional health.

For some cases, violence in the games  can lead  to children’s aggressive behaviors

The government spokesman said that Mr. Wissanu would soon call a meeting of

experts from agencies concerned, namely the Interior, Culture, and  Information and Communication Technology Ministries to brainstorm in drafting the regulation and then submit it to the Office of the Council of State for a quick revision.

can solve the kids’ addiction to on-line games. It’s a serious problem in our society now," he told journalists.

parents’ complaints about their kids' addiction to on-line games

1. All this discussion of "addiction".... and yet experts at the Public Health Ministry will not be involved as an agency involved in the government's efforts to deal with the problem?? :D:D:D

2. Where do these 8 year old kids get the money to spend at net cafes to play the games? From working at their jobs or from their parents? :o

Yet Mr. T says parents complain to him about their kid's addictions and want the government to do something to fix it??? :D:D:D

According to the movie "Pirates of Silicone Valley" - the US roadside service stations had early "bat and ball" game machines while he was still trying to get MS started up - he was apparently fascinated with the game code and the new colour monitors (which were actually monochrome with strips of coloured acetate layered over them giving bands of colour - RGB tubes were way too expensive at that time for anything except TV).

---------------------------------

i think as per the movie bill gates was more addicted to poker than anything else...

during college we used to game a little in a cafe back home....CS and quake3....one of us was a thai type adict.....but in the end he has got the best grades in college and now has the best job out of us......so an example online gaming is not all bad....

A sledge hammer to crack a nut? An overregulated society does not mean a better society; it means less freedom, and many petty laws are difficult to enforce.

My view on this is that it would be better to educate parents not to give into their childrens requests and to learn to say no and set an example to their children. Thais spoil their children far too much, and should provide better guidence to their children rather than letting them do whatever they want.

Computer game playing is not inherently evil if done in moderation; personally I don't like computer games but would not want to stop others from playing them.

Some common sense is need here, not more laws!

New ministerial regulation to control on-line games 

BANGKOK: --  The cabinet has approved an Interior Ministry proposal on drafting a new ministerial regulation to control computer on-line games, aiming to solve problems caused by children’s addiction to the electronic games.

Government Spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee said after Tuesday's cabinet weekly meeting that Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-Ngam, as a law expert, has been assigned by the cabinet to supervise the drafting of the regulation, which is to provide strict and integrated measures in solving the on-line games-related problems.

"The measures include registration of Internet cafes or on-line game shops, as that applied to clinics and drugstores; otherwise they cannot provide services," he told journalists here.

Dr. Suraponng said that the proposed ministerial regulation would be used as a legal tool to control a wide range of computer materials in various forms, including video games, laser discs, digital radio discs, CD– ROMs, hard discs, and similar others that are  easily accessible to children who tend to be addicted to.

Many studies suggest that playing much of video or on-line games causes adverse effects to children, especially on their physical, mental and emotional health.

For some cases, violence in the games  can lead  to children’s aggressive behaviors

The government spokesman said that Mr. Wissanu would soon call a meeting of

experts from agencies concerned, namely the Interior, Culture, and  Information and Communication Technology Ministries to brainstorm in drafting the regulation and then submit it to the Office of the Council of State for a quick revision.

"It is believed that the new regulation will be an effective measure that can solve the kids’ addiction to on-line games. It’s a serious problem in our society now," he told journalists.

"Prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra told the cabinet that when he visited people in various areas he had heard lots of parents’ complaints about their kids' addiction to on-line games; so the prime minister instructed the Interior  Ministry to find solutions to the problem’, said the government spokesman.

--TNA 2005-09-28

Interesting thread…..

I can remember when in the USA we had just three television networks, ABC, NBC and CBS. Then came cable TV……. So some people started be-moaning the fact that their were things being broadcast that was harmful to the children, like the late night R-rated movies on Cinemax. Hence the advent of pay-per-view. Basically solved the problem, or did it? Was the problem really what was being offered to the public or was the problem of parental responsibility? WHY were the kids watching TV at 11:30 at night?

Now we have the watchdogs rating the music industry and the computer games “What next?”

When are we going to start holding ourselves as parents responsible for the actions of our children?

I know that the computer is vital for my daughters success in life…… I recognize the dangers of NOT monitoring their consumption ……. I regulate their consumption.

I have no problem with my daughters playing on-line games, but I also make them use educational games to further their education.

Before they can start playing, tasks like homework must be completed! They are limited on the amount of on-line time they have access to……

Furthermore, just to make sure they have activities away from the TV and CRT they participate in after school clubs/activities. And the family goes on trips every weekend, just to get them out of the house and let them experience something different.

They are lucky……. The poor in Thailand are not so lucky, BUT the parents still have the capacity to limit their usage, THEY control the purse strings.

We don’t need the governments assistance in this problem, we need to take on the responsibilities of parentage.

I am no psychologist nor am I an educator. I was just brought up in a time when parents actually accepted responsibility for bringing up their children. And this I learned from them………..

errrrrrr Hello

I think the same crock was used about television

ruining your eyes

radiation

social misfits

learning disabilities

etc

etc

I think kids should go ###### for leather on these games as one day when Thailand is over run with terrorists we may need one of these trigger happy TOP GUNS to protect our interests

errrrrrr Hello

I think the same crock was used about television

ruining your eyes

radiation

social misfits

learning disabilities

etc

etc

I think kids should go ###### for leather on these games as one day when Thailand is over run with terrorists we may need one of these trigger happy TOP GUNS to protect our interests

Its pretty well known that TV does cause learning issues, keep in mind that programs on tv as well as video games are "designed" to hook poeple in.

Take your average tv soap on Thai TV, how many millions watch those everyday? productive? educating? no.

Sure people adapt to technology, and I'm not saying that all tv or videogames are bad. The fact is that developing children rely on various stimulants in order to grow and establish good mental health as an adult. In a minority of people, playing games online at addictive levels causes emotioal problems. Such examples include, retracting from social situations, focusing more on games than education, the list goes on.

Sure you can point to examples of children who played video games and now are very wealthy etc, but alot of those people have social skills of a much less developed nature, and like it or not, this causes problems.

One has to wonder how many people are negitive towards the government and policy just for the sake of it, and perhaps in some cases it's become a normal response/habbit.

Discounting this issue might be really easy for alot of you, although ignoring the problem does not make it go away, like it or not.