Slippery Ceramic Tiles,one More Time.ouch!

penzman

I ended up with stitches on the back of my head today.

Picture one of the three stooges. You have your choice of Moe, Larry, Curly, even Shemp. I identify more with Curly but Moe often takes over.

I had just finished doing some work with power tools today out in the laneway. I happened to step on the extension cord that apparently had an exposed wire somewhere along it. I was barefoot ( leather flip flops were wet and soggy) and some water had also trickled from the spray gun making the contact quite an experience.

Shock :D , slip :o both legs kicking upwards and then the sound of a coconut dropped on the floor. :D K.O.

Sometime later, i got back up and went into the house, hand holding the back of my head. I then realised I was covered with blood front and back and headed for the shower to sit for a few minutes. Feeling dizzy I thought I'd better call the wife. Couldn't find my cell phone... I finally did but freaked out while searching for it all over the house.

One thing I've learned today and actually had thought about this before. With no english speaking neighbours, not having a phone at hand is dangerous in case of an emergency. It'll always be in my pocket from now on.

Second thing, wear rubber flip flops.

Sorry to hear about the accident but glad it was not more serious as tile is not a nice place to rest your head.

Might be a good time for all of us to check what kind of extension cords we use. The normal zip lead (two wires covered with plastic and easy to pull apart) is not a good choice but unless you look in Home Pro or some professional place it is probably the only type you will find. Much safer would be the round type you find on most appliances, computers and such where you have two insulated wires twisted inside another layer of insulating material. It is just too easy for zip cord to have a bad spot or abrasion allowing contact with wire.

Sorry to hear about the accident but glad it was not more serious as tile is not a nice place to rest your head.

Might be a good time for all of us to check what kind of extension cords we use.  The normal zip lead (two wires covered with plastic and easy to pull apart) is not a good choice but unless you look in Home Pro or some professional place it is probably the only type you will find.  Much safer would be the round type you find on most appliances, computers and such where you have two insulated wires twisted inside another layer of insulating material.  It is just too easy for zip cord to have a bad spot or abrasion allowing contact with wire.

- and make sure there is an earth fault breaker in the circuit

Sorry to hear you got hurt penzman. :o

Another thing I practise is to ensure that whilst working outside, all extension leads are elevated above the ground/tiles. If I have to join two extension leads together, I usually tie the leads in a knot and hang it off a branch or something.

Maybe being a little over-cautious but better to be safe IMO. :D

My wife dropped by for lunch today and bought me a new extension cord. Fat round insulated cable that rolls up on a spool.

Now I'll bang my forehead on a corner of the pc monitor and will wait for the flat screen LCD to arrive by lunch tomorrow. :o