Dtac And Apns

jackspratt

I have recently come back to Thailand with my newly purchased (in Oz, where the APNs worked fine) Huawei Ideos U8150. It is working well as a phone, and I can connect OK to the internet through WiFi.

However, as yet I have been unable to set up APNs for DTAC to connect wirelessly.

I would welcome any suggestions for the correct settings - I have looked at other threads, and done some googling, to no avail.

The following are the headings on my phone, together with the current settings (in brackets) - loaded I guess when I inserted my DTAC SIM.

ACCESS POINT NAMES

DTAC WAP

Name (DTAC WAP)

APN (wap.djuice.co.th)

Proxy (203.155.200.133)

Port (not set)

User Name (not set)

Password (not set)

Server (not set)

MMSC (not set)

MMS Proxy (not set)

MMS Port (not set)

MCC (520)

MNC (18)

Authentication type (PAP)

APN type (default, supl)

DTAC MMS

Name (DTAC MMS)

APN (MMS)

Proxy (not set)

Port (not set)

Username (0) [zero]

Password (*)

Server (not set)

MMSC (http://mms.dtac.co.th:8002/)

MMS Proxy (203.155.200.133)

MMS Port (8080)

MCC (520)

MNC (18)

Authentication type (PAP)

APN type (mms)

I am not sure if it is relevant, but I have tried to download the settings automatically though the DTAC website, but it does not recognise the model of my phone.

Thanks

Here are the correct settings. Please set authentication to nothnig (leave blank). Also for regular internet access you leave proxy blank. For internet access you just set the name and APN. Everything else should be left blank. MMS needs a litle more info but the first proxy settings should also be blank. The other settings are as follows:

Name (DTAC GPRS WEB) - doesn't matter what this says

APN (www.dtac.co.th) - can also be set to "internet"

Proxy (not set)

Port (not set)

User Name (not set)

Password (not set)

Server (not set)

MMSC (not set)

MMS Proxy (not set)

MMS Port (not set)

MCC (520)

MNC (18)

Authentication type (not set)

APN type (not setl) - leave this settings blank if you can

Name (DTAC MMS)

APN (MMS)

Proxy (not set)

Port (not set)

Username (not set) - leave this blank

Password (not set) - leave this blank

Server (not set)

MMSC (http://mms.dtac.co.th:8002/)

MMS Proxy (203.155.200.133)

MMS Port (8080)

MCC (520)

MNC (18)

Authentication type (not set) - leave this blank

APN type (mms)

Edited by jackbox
  • Like 1

Thanks jack.

I have changed all the settings as suggested above, but still no joy.

I have subscribed to a DTAC data package.

The phone settings are as follows:

Wireless & network settings > mobile networks > data enabled (on), data roaming (off), use only 2G networks (on) > network operators > select automatically (shows DTAC 2G, AIS 2G and True Move 2G).

The APN setting under the above has a green radio button against DTAC WAP. I don't seem to be able to select (turn on) DTAC MMS.

About phone > status > network (Total Access Communication), mobile network type (EDGE), service state (in service), roaming (not roaming), Mobile network state (disconnected)

The phone is showing 5 bars for connection strength.

Cheers

Are you sure you did the changes and saved them? After making the changes you have to hit the menu key and select save or the changes are discarded when you use the back key. Also try changing the APN to simply "internet". That always works. The MMS settings cannot be selected. They are used by the phone for MMS services only. Not having a button next to them is normal. Also once the settings are done you should toggle airplane mode on and then off for the phone to reregister to the network. If it registered with the wrong APN then your data is disabled until the phone reregisters to the network. The settings I gave you work here in Bangkok. I tested them. If you are sure you made the suggested changes and after toggling airplane mode on and off you still don't have internet, then I would say your area doesn't have data services on the cell tower you are connected to.

Thanks again jack.

Checked everything, but no result. It looks like your "cell tower without data" assumption is correct.

I will check again when I travel outside my home town, and also call into a DTAC office when I can find one.

Cheers

Everywhere on the DTAC website they say to use www.dtac.co.th for the APN (no username, no password)

You can also send a service message, enter *772*9# SEND/DIAL, then you should get two service messages back, one for MMS and one for GPRS, open/save/install and these will add the proper settings.

from DTAC's website:

The problems found.

Can not use the Internet.

Cause

You have not already open or open setting data or GPRS.

How to fix the problem.

Opening the GPRS Settings -> cellular -> Data connection -> On.

Cause

You set the APN is incorrect.

How to fix the problem.

The APN settings by going to Settings -> cellular -> Data connection -> add apn -> then enter the value into the box www.dtac.co.th APN.

I suspect, assuming you have set up the APN correctly, that you need to turn on the GSM data radio. Typically this is a menu selection somewhere in the UI. It should be in Settings, Wireless & networks, Mobile networks, select DATA ENABLED.

AFAIK, DTAC have 100% 2G coverage, on every base station, so do not believe that is your issue. I guess it could also be related to your account; maybe best to check the status of your account.

Cheers lomatopo.

Everything is set up as you suggest, but still not able to access.

I will call DTAC tomorrow and confirm the status of my account. It may be that my old SIM (previously phone only) needs replacing, or my new internet/data access account with them has not been properly activated.

Cheers lomatopo.

Everything is set up as you suggest, but still not able to access.

I will call DTAC tomorrow and confirm the status of my account. It may be that my old SIM (previously phone only) needs replacing, or my new internet/data access account with them has not been properly activated.

I have had that problem with DTAC in the past. I had to call customer service and ask them to toggle data off and then back on for the account. After that you turn off the phone and turn it back on and you should have data.