Cloning The Perfect T-Shirt

wynzlo

So I've had this one plain black cotton t-shirt for a few years now. It's the most perfect t-shirt I've ever worn. Nothing out of the ordinary, it just happens to fit absolutely perfectly. Funny thing is, it came from a former roommate who left it behind when he moved out. Fate? I think so.

It's starting to wear though. Now I'll continue wearing it until it won't stay on my shoulders any longer, but in the meantime I'm hoping to find somebody here who can clone it. I'm thinking I'll start with just a handful of clones - maybe three to begin. If it works out well, I may start forming an army to replace my entire wardrobe.

Does anyone have personal experience with skilled sewing professionals in Chiang Mai who might be up to the task?

For those thinking this is absurd, you obviously have not yet found your perfect shirt. I wish you the good fortune of it happening within your lifetime. jap.gif

Any tailor could easily do it. Not difficult to copy an existing shirt. The issue though would be to source the perfect material. That might prove more challenging than you think. I spend hours finding the right material for my shirts and often 1 or 2 that seem good do not feel right when warn.

Yeah, I was going to point out at any skilled dressmaker or tailor could copy a beloved garment, but the trick is in locating the fabric. The couple dressmakers I've worked with expect you to supply them with the fabric. You could start by taking your shirt with you and visiting the many fabric shops in the Warorot area. Best wishes. Many tailor shops stock some fabric, but nothing that would be suitable to make into a tee shirt.

I haunt the shops every few weeks looking for a fabric suitable for a blouse in a specific shade of lime sherbet green. It was a popular shade a couple years ago, now the shops all seem to stock a similar fabric in a shade that I'd call a light olive drab. Not what I want. One vendor looked at my old blouse and said "oh yes, we had that two years ago." Yeah, I know, but he said it in the same way my teenage neices will look at a fashion item, roll their eyes and say "that is SO 2008!"

... Yeah, I know, but he said it in the same way my teenage neices will look at a fashion item, roll their eyes and say "that is SO 2008!"

biggrin.gif

I agree...the fabric that is 75% of the project. Stroll-stroll-inquire-inquire...

Hmm, I was kind of hoping there was one amazing shop where everyone goes.

I imagine most tailors would have connections with nearby fabric dealers, no? Is Warorot the place to go for this kind of work?

Wororot is the place to find the fabrics. One of the best places is "inter fabric" near chiang mai plastic. As far as getting the shirt copied, goto any of the tailors in town, as most of them are just brokers anyway and send the work out to the same tailors. Or, if you search a bit, you'll find another thread about two weeks ago where NancyL gives away the secret location to her favorite tailor. Its seems that they do the work themselves and do it well.

Also keep in mind that the old shirt has streched/shrunk over the years and may not have been the perfect fit when new. You might have to break-in hte new shirts as well.

good luck

I think of my dressmaker as a dressmaker, not a tailor. Somehow, for me, saying that someone is a tailor implies one of those shops that cater to tourists who are looking for suits that are turned out quickly off-site. My dressmaker works by herself, out of her living quarters. Here is her location. There is no "they"; she's there by herself, unless you count her little granddaughter as an assistant.

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry4344279

The word "tailor" does indeed leave a bitter taste in my mouth. The creepy guys at the Night Bazaar may have ruined my ability to patronize shops in that part of town, so maybe I'll check out some of the tailor shops scattered around the northwest area.

Thanks for the tips!