First Accident/Collision In Thailand.

hehehoho

Which is probably not that bad statistically, and is always good once no one or their vehicles are damaged.

Yup, a tuk-tuk. Four lanes going one way, a perennially empty bus lane coming the other, so of course all the bikes just go down the empty bus lane on the outside. Gotta watch out though, anything can suddenly pull out or stroll onto the road without looking.

This time a tuk-tuk with 3 farangs in the back makes a sudden right turn without looking (bless....) Just enough time to beep and hit the brakes which gave him the time to swerve away so it was more parallel side on side impact then directly head on in to it at 90 degrees.

It's really amazing how violent and loud these collisions are. From the sound and feel the immediate though was that I've wrecked the entire side of my bike. Pull over, hop off and bloody hell, not a scratch. Indicator's been pushed back, the mirror stalk is now vertical, slight pain in leg and fingers and that's it.

I'm happy to take the blame as I was riding down the wrong lane, sure he didn't look before pulling out but you have to expect these things (particularly in Thailand) and thus ride accordingly.

Send the lad and the three silent farangs who didn't do so much as ask that I'm okay on their way. Get home, unscrew the indicator, push the bent metal brace back into position, and screw it back on. Perfect.

May it be another 4 years of riding here before something like it happens again, and may it be even less all round damage then too.

Really it's good for little accidents that don't hurt person or machine in order to help keep you on your toes safety wise.

Safe riding all.

Edited by hehehoho

Great to hear you're ok, bike is ok. please post a pic of the monk amulet you wear on your neck chain for protection so I can rush right down to the local Wat to buy one!

And surely agree, unfortunately, that small biffs are good for curing that perennial killer of experienced riders: overconfidence.