Passport Renewal And Visa Questions

Here's the situation guys.

My USA passport expires in mid-January 2012.

I arrived in Cambodia a few days ago and have a 30 day business visa which can easily be extended for the extra 3 months I need.

I also have a Thai retirement visa with a re-entry permit.

It seems I'll need to get a new passport so that when I re-enter Thailand I'll have a passport with more than 6 months validity. I assume that it's not a problem that my retirement visa and re-entry permit will be in my old passport?

Now, I am wondering how long it takes to get a new passport issued and should I apply for the new passport ASAP and then the Cambodian 3 month extension or should I get the extension first and then apply for a new passport?

US passports take about 2 weeks. I got mine last year in Cambodia and it took 10 days.

I had the same visa/retirement extension for Thailand.

You can do it in PP and then carry both passports with ya until u go back where u got ur exetension/re entry permit and have them changed over to your new passport,

I am not sure if Cambodia will transfer visas from one passport to another as i just used my old one. ( also had a business visa with extension for 6 months.

IN fact i flew to thailand and then back to Cambodia on my old passport as i didn't travel to phuket to get the visa transfered over to the new one. No problem.

Edited by phuketrichard

Went to the American Embassy in PP, a lot less crowded than in Bangkok. Paid for a new passport ($110) and will receive it in about a week.

Then I hope that there won't be a problem with my original 1 month business visa being in my old passport when I try to extend for three months.

Some questions:

1) Does the three month business visa extension enable re-enty? I was thinking of going to Vietnam for a long weekend.

2) I am working for an NGO but did not arrive on an NGO visa. Can the 1 month business visa be extended for three additional months as an NGO visa?

No problem extending your visa with the new passport and the previous visa in your old passport , did it myself a few months ago , as to the NGO visa requirements , have no idea .

A business visa allows re-entry as many times as required .

Found out that the three month business visa extension does not permit re-entry but the six month and one year does.

So far, the cheapest I found for the three month extension is $70. Anyone know any place that will handle it for less?

'farangguy' timestamp='1304085389' post='4390101']

Found out that the three month business visa extension does not permit re-entry but the six month and one year does.

So far, the cheapest I found for the three month extension is $70. Anyone know any place that will handle it for less?

Sorry about the 3 month re-entry , I always buy 6/12 month visas so i do not fill my passport too quickly , cost for renewal is pretty even , I always use Lucky-Lucky on Monivong as they know what is going on and are efficient .

No problem extending your visa with the new passport and the previous visa in your old passport , did it myself a few months ago , as to the NGO visa requirements , have no idea .

WRONG!!!!only the 6 month and 12 month business extenions allow multiply re-entry.

Prices for the extenions seem all with $10 whomever u use.

Edited by phuketrichard

'phuketrichard' timestamp='1304135682' post='4390966']

'dumball' timestamp='1303638594' post='4378124']

WRONG!!!!only the 6 month and 12 month business extenions allow multiply re-entry.

Prices for the extenions seem all with $10 whomever u use.

P;ease do not SHOUT at me , I had already apologised for my over sight