Rooting The Samsung Tab?...

sfokevin

They just dropped the Samsung Tab beloe 15k so I picked one up..

First thing I tried to do is root it

I got z4root 1.3 loaded and ran it but it seems to crash/quit after about 30 seconds

Other forums say z4root does not work with the Thai build...

Anyone got theres rooted?

Second question:

I bought a True Prepaid sim and activated their 50 hours for 199 baht...

You are supposed to get 10 hours of 3G... But the status icon only shows the EDGE icon?

You should head over to xda or driodsans to sort out the best rooting procedures. Or just take it to a shop.

AFAIK the Samsung Galaxy Tab does NOT have a 850 Mhz 3G radio so you will not be able to use True 3G.

Apologies, I guess some models here do have tri- and quad-band 3G radios which include 850 Mhz. Assuming you have one of those models, then I guess you are not in an area with True 3G, assuming you have properly configured the system (APN settings, data enabled, auto-select: 2G and 3G, have an active account, etc.).

Edited by lomatopo

You should have gotten a data volume based package and not a time based package. Android is connected to the data almost continuously. Your time will be gone within a few days. The volume based packages are better as the length of time you are connected doesn't matter. You just pay for the data that goes back and forth between the device and the servers. TrueMove has volume plans that start as low as 50 baht for 50MB of Edge and 50MB of 3G. For 129 baht a month you get 100MB of Edge and 200MB of 3G and 5 hours of WiFi. If you are not getting 3G you might be in an area without 3G coverage. Also if the Edge signal is stronger than the device will take the Edge over the 3G. Go into settings, network and see if there is a settng that will let you select GSM, 3G or both. Set it to HSDPA (3G) only and see if you get connected. You can also go into the dialer and enter "*#*#info#*#*" and it will take you to an engineering screen. You can scroll down and select HSPDA only there. You can also select GSM (Edge) only or both with a preference for HSDPA (will connect to 3G if available even if Edge signal is stronger). Have fun with your new tab. Keep it connected to your home wifi (if you have it) as much as possible to save your data plan for when you are outside.

I have the Quad band version

My Iphone gets the True3G - But I have the postpaid unlimited plan with it

Have been monitoring usage and it does not seem to be a data hog - But i know that could quickly change if i add aps;-)

If you require 3G then your only option is really TOT or one of their resellers, as your Tab seems like it should have 2100 Mhz 3G.

Isn't AIS 3G on 900mhz?

Yes, but with very limited coverage. (If you are in Chiang Mai they have excellent coverage. In Bangkok, unless you live in Central World or Siam Paragon, then not too much coverage. http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3G_coverage-speed.html

If you require 3G then your only option is really TOT or one of their resellers, as your Tab seems like it should have 2100 Mhz 3G.

Isn't AIS 3G on 900mhz?

Yes, but with very limited coverage. (If you are in Chiang Mai they have excellent coverage. In Bangkok, unless you live in Central World or Siam Paragon, then not too much coverage. http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3G_coverage-speed.html

My house is inside the moat ;-)

I'm still having a trouble rooting... Tried two different methods (z4root & One Click Root) neither worked

Edited by sfokevin

I'm heading to phuket (mai khao & Khao lah) and thought of getting a prepaid 3G data plan for my week's stay. Any idea if these out of the way places can get data signal?

Will be having my galaxy S & Tab with me. Appreciate if you could update once you find out which telco offers 3G data service for the Tab.

As for your rooting & flashing..... I'd recommend your try the "Overcome" kernel + ROM. I did mine about a week back and the Tab is functioning so much better. (I use overclock & under volt to get the performance while balancing the battery drain)

Cheers

Thanks lomotapo!!! Im rooted!!!

It worked - But not as seamless as the vid showed

I'm heading to phuket (mai khao & Khao lah) and thought of getting a prepaid 3G data plan for my week's stay. Any idea if these out of the way places can get data signal?

Will be having my galaxy S & Tab with me. Appreciate if you could update once you find out which telco offers 3G data service for the Tab.

As for your rooting & flashing..... I'd recommend your try the "Overcome" kernel + ROM. I did mine about a week back and the Tab is functioning so much better. (I use overclock & under volt to get the performance while balancing the battery drain)

Cheers

Thanks lomotapo!!! Im rooted!!!

It worked - But not as seamless as the vid showed

As was mentioned before my Tab is only HSPDA Tri Band (No 850mhz) so True will only give you EDGE speed (There 3G is on 850mhz)- I went and got a 59 baht AIS NETsim GO and got the 500mb/month plan for 149 baht... Its lightning fast!!! (But I'm here in downtown Chiang Mai)

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3G_netsim.html

I'll be down at Coral Island in a few weeks will test - But you could email your hotel and ask what cell provider has reception.

Edited by sfokevin