Invisible Cyclists

arcubal

When you own a bicycle in Bangkok (out of choice or necessity) is it right to presume you are frowned upon by the general population? My wife and I don't own a car, nor have the luxury of an assigned driver or tuk-tuk service, so we both use bikes. However I presume I'm simply too fast in traffic to actually get noticed, my wife has been scraped several times in traffic and has had her bicycle vandalized. My own grievances are with the lack of respect towards this green method of transport, especially in a city that tries to promote a greener way of life in every shopping venue.

For three years now I've made my way down a one-way street (one of the bonuses of not being in a car) to my local supermarket Fuji. I've always been able to park my bike right outside, pop off my saddle bags and get my groceries. Of late however they have started preferring car drivers and have essentially replaced every available parking spot for bikes with ones for cars. Do they think that because I'm on a bike I'm also less resistant to walk an extra bit to get to the store and back? Especially with two loaded bags this can even tax the strongest of people (try maneuvering through traffic loaded with 40 pounds of groceries). I now choose not to go to Fuji Supermarket anymore and instead go to the slightly more bike friendly Tops.

Is it just me or is Bangkok not trying hard enough to get people out of the car?

Edited by arcubal

Just park near the motorcycles, i would not want to use a bike here. I use a motorcycle or a car. I used to use a bike a lot as im from Holland. But here its much to hot to use a bike. Plus many roads are just not suitable for a bike. Go try doing a U turn on those elevated ones.

1.One can ride a bike in Bangkok out of choice, but I'm having a hard time thinking of when it would be a necessity.

2. I can think of few taxi rides I take regularly that are over 50 or 60 baht, unless it's rush hour.

3.Your wife has been scraped several times in traffic and you are concerned that Bangkokians are not Green-Minded? :clap2: Congratulations, you're a very dedicated enviromentalist.

>For three years now I've made my way down a one-way street (one of the bonuses of not being in a car)

Can only presume this means "WRONG WAY" down a "ONE WAY" street otherwise it wouldn't make any sense?

Cyclists should follow the normal highway code, though rather difficult in Thailand I am sure. That being the case I would not classify you as a promoting a "green method of transport" but rather that of a "lycra lout" :-) . One of the reasons for getting "frowned upon by the general population" I might surmise.

You're being foolish, there is no necessity to use a bike in Bangkok. Quite the opposite, you are endangering yourself and your wife by insisting on bringing other countries cultures to Thailand. Take a look around, NO REALLY LOOK, do you see any other bikes? NO? Why do you think this is? Clue in before you or your wife is killed, Bangkok does not have a bicycle culture and you are in grave danger trying to bike around here. Don't be cheap and protect your wife properly.

>For three years now I've made my way down a one-way street (one of the bonuses of not being in a car)

Can only presume this means "WRONG WAY" down a "ONE WAY" street otherwise it wouldn't make any sense?

Cyclists should follow the normal highway code, though rather difficult in Thailand I am sure. That being the case I would not classify you as a promoting a "green method of transport" but rather that of a "lycra lout" :-) . One of the reasons for getting "frowned upon by the general population" I might surmise.

Thailand as a whole needs bicycle lanes or paths, to help people bike to work, pleasure, etc., of course the way Thailand traffic laws, or enforcing those laws is another thing. If there were bike lanes, you'd have every idiot driving down them with their cars or motocycles, so what TF, amazing Thailand, land of no inforcement of laws, except when cops need lunch money, then they usually pick out a farang because they can pay out of pocket to their pocket.:angry:

Edited by PingManDan

• 3 weeks later...

I ride my bike all the time in Bangkok and nobody gets angry at me or tries to vandalize my bike.

I mostly ride from Chinatown to Nonthaburi, loosely following the river. My favorite parts are the Sanam Luang-Khao Sarn area where I stop to have some fruit. I see lots of Thai riding bicycles. Everything from old pieces of crap to very expensive road bikes and many young Thai riding Fixies. The Fixies are usually in groups of 6-10 riders. They mostly congregate at the Royal Throne Hall after 10pm and practice tricks. Some nights(weekends) there are upto 200 riders there practicing and just being social. It's sad to see so many being apprehensive about city riding. It's fun and I've been doing it for years, only had one minor incident and that was my fault. A couple of Australian girls with big jugs wearing bikini tops caused me to crash into a curb. :lol:

You're being foolish, there is no necessity to use a bike in Bangkok. Quite the opposite, you are endangering yourself and your wife by insisting on bringing other countries cultures to Thailand. Take a look around, NO REALLY LOOK, do you see any other bikes? NO? Why do you think this is? Clue in before you or your wife is killed, Bangkok does not have a bicycle culture and you are in grave danger trying to bike around here. Don't be cheap and protect your wife properly.

Open your eyes and you will see all the bikes being ridden in BKK. If you have trouble seeing them, I will show them to you. The number of bicycle riders is increasing everyday.

• 2 months later...

I used to be terrified of the idea of cycling in Bangkok, what with all the traffic and non-existent traffic rules, however, you quickly get used to it and now I really enjoy riding in Bangok at the weekend - Udomsuk, Sukhumvit, Onnut, Srinakarin, Bang Na Trat area.

Pass many Thais going to and coming from work, especially up near Pravet.

When stopping off at shopping centers, if they do not have bicycle dedicated parking, park in the motorcycle parking section. Never had any trouble and so far it has always been free. Probably the parking attendants are too embarrassed to ask for the parking fee. :lol:

I have not been involved in any accidents so far. I have noticed that most locals do not seem to use hand signals. Something I always do when turning, whether in a small soi or on the main road. Rarely get a motorist tooting his horn at me, and even then never in a very aggressive way. As I follow the rules of the road, never had a problem. Get quite a few smiles in fact when belting off at traffic lights, pedaling like a twit on a shopping bike, but beating cars and motorcycles off the mark.

I am still comparing models and prices with a view to upgrading my six speed shopper to an urban speed/dual sport/hybrid thingy. While my current bike serves its purpose, I want something a bit lighter, quicker and more responsive. Once so armed I intend to travel a little further afield, be it still in Bangkok. Some of those back streets and sois prove so interesting and well worth exploring.

Yesterday I visited all the fishing parks between my home and Pravet (5). I found some that I had never known about before and would never have found them if I had not been on my bike.