Thai Customs

I am guessing, but I have brought many strange items into Thailand as well as other countries.

Never had a problem.. :whistling:So bring it on in, wrap it nicely , and check it in..

Recently brought a Scythe in to cut my grass / weeds , cuts in both directions.. Very useful, sharp and lethal,:rolleyes:, definitely not available in Thailand, no one batted an eye at this..

Just a note for people who wonder " Why not just buy one here ? " :crying:

Brought in a Bolo Machete years ago , great weight and balance and a contoured, comfortable handle, much better than anything available here , :ph34r:

BEWARE - US Customs may not like this in their airports.. That may be an issue...

Gone are the days when I took my hunting rifles on as checked baggage, barrels sticking out of the duffel bag by 6 inches ( Wrapped of course ), for those great hunting trips in Northern Canada....

I am guessing, but I have brought many strange items into Thailand as well as other countries.

Never had a problem.. :whistling:So bring it on in, wrap it nicely , and check it in..

Recently brought a Scythe in to cut my grass / weeds , cuts in both directions.. Very useful, sharp and lethal,:rolleyes:, definitely not available in Thailand, no one batted an eye at this..

Brought in a Bolo Machete years ago , great weight and balance and a contoured, comfortable handle, much better than anything available here , :ph34r:

BEWARE - US Customs may not like this in their airports.. That may be an issue...

Gone are the days when I took my hunting rifles on as checked baggage, barrels sticking out of the duffel bag by 6 inches ( Wrapped of course ), for those great hunting trips in Northern Canada....

Five years ago I packed all my hunting knives, some being over 15 inches in length, in their sheaths, inside checked luggage,with hand tools I could not find in thailand prior to that trip. Included in the luggage was a letter stating that all were personal property and for personal use, not for resale. On arrival in Bkk, I retrieved my luggage and went home. Inside the luggage was a paper with TSA letter head, acknowledging that exray left questions with the screener, so it was opened and inspected. No items were removed or confiscated. The TSA note ended with Thank you for inserting a check list.

2 yrs later, my adult daughter came for vacation, bringing with her in checked luggage 2 cast iron skillets, along with various items filling my wish list. She also had the TSA note inside the luggage, and nothing removed.

Edited by featography

Thanks to everyone who contributed to my topic.

From the UK

http://www.direct.gov.uk.en/TravelAndTransport/Foreigntravel/AirTravel/DG_176922

The list gives the Dangerous and restricted items: what you cannot take on board a light.

I sent an email to the Thai Customs and to the Thai Embassy did not get a reply from the Thai Customs and got a suggestion from the Thai Embassy to look at the Thai Customs website.

I came to the conclusion that my considered opinion was that it was a Knife with a blade longer than 6 cm and under the regulations could be taken in hold baggage.

I brought it through and went through the green channel on arrival at Suwanaphubi Airport.

The machete is excellent for it's balance, weight and the handle, however the sheath is fab for it is studded with various gemstones and minerals.

However I have now fallen out big time with the family and am keeping my treasure for myslef and will have to forget living on the farm.

Amazing how different Thai customs are, what you can and say in a family, drives me crazy.

Five years ago I packed all my hunting knives, some being over 15 inches in length, in their sheaths, inside checked luggage,with hand tools I could not find in thailand prior to that trip. Included in the luggage was a letter stating that all were personal property and for personal use, not for resale. On arrival in Bkk, I retrieved my luggage and went home. Inside the luggage was a paper with TSA letter head, acknowledging that exray left questions with the screener, so it was opened and inspected. No items were removed or confiscated. The TSA note ended with Thank you for inserting a check list.

2 yrs later, my adult daughter came for vacation, bringing with her in checked luggage 2 cast iron skillets, along with various items filling my wish list. She also had the TSA note inside the luggage, and nothing removed.

TSA is for US exports... the OP's question was about Thai imports.

Not too sure about customs at the airport but I brought samurai swords and spear guns to Thailand in my household goods shipment with no issues.

I am almost sure they were not properly declared.