Thomas Hillpig Canes?

MamaSan

Search on here for 'Burmese Trekking sticks' (assuming they're the same things), there was a thread a few months ago and many places came up. I think they sell them at Pirates Cove opposite the Anodard Hotel on Rachamanka Road.

Search on here for 'Burmese Trekking sticks' (assuming they're the same things), there was a thread a few months ago and many places came up. I think they sell them at Pirates Cove opposite the Anodard Hotel on Rachamanka Road.

Thomas ?????

What happened to Sir Jeffrey Hillpig Smythe ??

I do think that one of the creators of the original one, did pass aways some time ago. But if you are able to get in touch with, or know someone who is able to get in touch with Mr. Dennis, you might be able to track down quite a few of them

Been some time back..... so may no longer be around

G

Thomas ?????

I do think that one of the creators of the original one, did pass aways some time ago. But if you are able to get in touch with, or know someone who is able to get in touch with Mr. Dennis, you might be able to track down quite a few of them

G

Oops - I stand corrected!

Thomas ?????

G

Oops - I stand corrected!

If you will take the time to google ' Sir Jeffrey Hillpig Smyth " and/or Mr Brad Harper, I think you will find a very interesting read...

gonzo

How soon they forget our most cherished local heroes.

• Born London, 1910
  • As a schoolboy - overweight, few friends, poor student, non-athletic yet polite, called 'Hillpiggy' by the staff.
  • Harrow, 1928.
  • Sent down from Oxford for indecency, 1930.
  • Unsuccessfully stood for parliament, as an independent from the small constituency of Looting on the Thames, finishing fourth in a field of three, 1934.
  • Alcoholic, 1935.
  • Published at his own expense an angry and spirited collection of short essays entitled, Sticks and Stones, 1936.
  • Alcoholic again, 1937.

Here you go:

http://www.teaklimey...gstick.asp?in=1

Hope this link will just be considered helpful; Last time I posted a link that was a direct answer to something people enquired about it earned me another warning level increase. :/

(you never know.. who knows who might pop up next and consider it advertising or whatever and send me on a holiday. :( )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

How soon they forget our most cherished local heroes.

• Born London, 1910
  • As a schoolboy - overweight, few friends, poor student, non-athletic yet polite, called 'Hillpiggy' by the staff.
  • Harrow, 1928.
  • Sent down from Oxford for indecency, 1930.
  • Unsuccessfully stood for parliament, as an independent from the small constituency of Looting on the Thames, finishing fourth in a field of three, 1934.
  • Alcoholic, 1935.
  • Published at his own expense an angry and spirited collection of short essays entitled, Sticks and Stones, 1936.
  • Alcoholic again, 1937.

And don't forget the McDougall Nut And Bolt Mechanism designed by a very close friend of the Sir JHPS.

I think you'll still find them at the Kafe on Moonmuang Road.

Edited by Blinky Bill

<br />Search on here for 'Burmese Trekking sticks' (assuming they're the same things), there was a thread a few months ago and many places came up. I think they sell them at Pirates Cove opposite the Anodard Hotel on Rachamanka Road.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The originator, brilliant marketing man Brad Harper, called it a trekking 'stick', not a cane, despite being an American.

It is now made locally by 2 people to whom Brad left the 'rights' and who do not compete with each other. Dennis Brown and Colin Penberthy.

PM me with your own e-address and I can put you on touch. I have no business relationship with either, but it is a great product with a fascinating history all its own.

Yes, they are sold at Red Lion and also at Amazin' Sandwich on Huaykaew Rd next to the Soho Bar and across the street from the Chiang Mai Orchid.

They have them for sale (100%) in The Red Lion near Burger King on the night bazzar and they used to be on sale in UN Irish Pub.

The originator, brilliant marketing man Brad Harper, called it a trekking 'stick', not a cane, despite being an American.

It is now made locally by 2 people to whom Brad left the 'rights' and who do not compete with each other. Dennis Brown and Colin Penberthy.

PM me with your own e-address and I can put you on touch. I have no business relationship with either, but it is a great product with a fascinating history all its own.

Brad and his wife were very good friends for many years. Brad sadly, came to tragic end. Cindy is back in the US and doing well, we communicate often.

Brad was the founder of the Bombay Company in New Orleans back in 1978 and was a self made millionaire at 24 yrs of age. Unfortunately he lost it all in a rather short time. He and Cindy arrived in Chiang Mai in the early 1990's where they set up a small company that produced amoung other things the Sir Jeffrey Hillpig-Smythe Burmese Army Trekking Stick.

Bombay Company