The Expression On Your Face With Your First "Big" Bike

Hi OP,

sorry don't have a picture, but I can still recall the face I must have pulled when riding my VFR400 back home to Lampang from Chiang Mai for the first time...

...I had had a CBR150 for a week previous, and decided I wanted more grunt and so resold it in CM and purchased a '91 VFR with a nice exhaust to boot. I was taking it very easy on the way back home down Highway 11, never going over 80 km/h (that stretch of highway from CM to Lamphun is crap anyway with all those lights)... but when I went past the final set of red lights and into a the mountain stretch, I let her rip a bit.

Still, that wasn't the 'smiley face moment'. The moment in question came when I was coming into a right hander... I was in the right hand lane, 'apexing it' (haha), and I dropped down into 5th... the sweet sound from the exhaust was so beautiful and unexpected, that I momentarily checked my mirrors for fear a car or truck was approaching at speed...After a very brief surge of fear/adrenalin, I realized of course that it was my machine making that sound... and oh how I smiled, a big, cheesy ear-to-ear bad boy. Never got anything near that tune from the 150.

The extra 30k THB over the CBR150 + the extra petrol/service costs didn't bother me one iota - anything that could make me smile like that was worth it's weight in gold :-)

Cheers

jim

The face of a person when they hear, for the first time, that the Ducati in the garage is for them..

Hope they had some riding gear for him too, or maybe the pictures of his flip flops and t-shirt being ripped off him the first time he pulled the throttle might add to the story.

I myself can remember getting my first motorbike, actually it was a Kreidler Florett Super TS 50cc with force-air cooling and left-hand handlebar grip-gear-changer – now-a-day not many people will call that a motorcycle.

When one of my dads workers donated the Kreidler motorcycle to me I was not even at age to legally ride it. I was about 10 years old, and needed to wait another 6 years before I should be able to take it out on the public road.

My dads worker used the motorcycle on a daily base for commuting to work, the bike was a complete mess and in poor state of health. But I was determent to restore the Kreidler to its original glory …. I failed to restore the motorcycle, as not long after I had the ancient Kreidler with forced air-cooling, Kreidler introduced a 50cc Florett without forced air-cooling and with funky (for the time) colors. The new Kreidler was a hit by other teenagers and the new Kreidler looked really cool.

I was even more surprised when my local Kreidler dealer told me that most of the new parts would fit on my old frame...

So with the help of about all my dads workers I transferred the ancient Kreidler in a truly nice motorcycle (for the time)... My father still jokes to everybody about that one bike that did cost more than it was worth new right out the showroom. Once one third of all German motorcycles were Kreidler. Also Kreidler did pretty good on the race track with a Dutch rider who my father knew well.

I actually never rode the Kreidler, when I became 16, much more exciting motorcycles where available and my old bike was on display in the reception of my dads factory.

OK Richard

The first one is me when I first got it and the second is My wife as she is getting ready to ride it.

That is a beautiful bike, what is it??

That is A Honda Fury . I wish I had more photos of the way it looks know. But the last photo was taken when I had just put it back together and next morning I had fly back to work. Soon it will be changing again I have a lot more mods to do. I also need to find someone good at airbrushing to do a paint job on it.

It doesn't mater to me, big bike or little bike I'm still like a kid in a toy shop. In the past 6 years I've bought 4 bikes; CBR 150, Ninja 250, ER6n and the latest a Vespa 300 GTS SS and each time I couldn't wait to pick them up and take them for a spin. I'll have to wait a while for the next one or the wife will kill me