Dad, Why Are You Eating Ants?

Livinginexile

Didn't put my glasses on last night and started muching on some leftovers from dinner.

My 5 year old son walked in and exclaimed "Dad why are you eating ants?"!

In horror I put me glasses and looked at hundreds of those tiny black ants crawling all over my food.

In retospect it was quite funny but last night it really made me sick to my stomach.

To all my fellow long sighted friends. Always put your glasses on before you start eating.

Lesson learned :)

I'm glad my father wasn't a geriatric when I was 5 years old.

I'm quite sure I would have been traumatized for life had I seen my Father eating ants at 5 years old.

Who's a geriatric?

Nasty little piece of shit arn't you? :bah:

Dunno, but you're the guy that has a 5 year old kid traumatized when he saw his father eating ants, and you didn't even know you were eating them. ( don't tell me, your young, fit , healthy with 20/20 vision and all the rest of internet forum BS, throw handsome in there too, yeah, I'm quite sure you're all of those things giggle.gif, the fact that you don't even know when you're eating ants kinda goes against the grain ! )

bah.gif

Edited by GM1955

We eat mot daeng {dead, of course} in some dishes. Only when available and can be collected in quantity. Quite nice, actually. Gives the soup {or other things} a rather acid-citrus flavour. Fantastic stir fried with red rice!!!!:)

I'm quite sure I would have been traumatized for life had I seen my Father eating ants at 5 years old.

Who's a geriatric?

Dunno, but you're the guy that has a 5 year old kid traumatized when he saw his father eating ants, and you didn't even know you were eating them. ( don't tell me, your young, fit , healthy with 20/20 vision and all the rest of internet forum BS, throw handsome in there too, yeah, I'm quite sure you're all of those things giggle.gif, the fact that you don't even know when you're eating ants kinda goes against the grain ! )

bah.gif

crazy.gif

Wibble

We eat mot daeng {dead, of course} in some dishes. Only when available and can be collected in quantity. Quite nice, actually. Gives the soup {or other things} a rather acid-citrus flavour. Fantastic stir fried with red rice!!!!:)

Just had some night before last, very delicious! Big ants complete with eggs....yummmmy!!

mario299

Who's a geriatric?

bah.gif

crazy.gif

Wibble

biggrin.gif

Who's a geriatric?

bah.gif

Goodness there's some sicko's on this forum. <_<

Just had some night before last, very delicious! Big ants complete with eggs....yummmmy!!

mario299

Indeed. The most select eggs to be taken are the great nest of the small black critters - they produce much more eggs/larva than most varieties. Ground dwellers, as a rule. Tens of thousands of eggs can be found in any such established nests. And quite delicious!

Goodness there's some sicko's on this forum. <_<

C'mon LIE, you've been a member here since 2006 and you've only just come to that conclusion ?

LOL, if you never realized that before now, the fact that you didn't know you were eating ants until a 5 year old pointed it out is understandable and in some ways expected, along with the dribbling and drooling of course. smile.gif

Edited by GM1955

Didn't put my glasses on last night and started muching on some leftovers from dinner.

My 5 year old son walked in and exclaimed "Dad why are you eating ants?"!

In horror I put me glasses and looked at hundreds of those tiny black ants crawling all over my food.

In retospect it was quite funny but last night it really made me sick to my stomach.

To all my fellow long sighted friends. Always put your glasses on before you start eating.

Lesson learned :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Like others here.... Bin dere dun dat. :D

There are certain foods the little buggers really like. NEVER open a package of those little sugar coated candies that come wrapped up in a roll if you don't intend to eat them all at one sitting. Put them on the counter for an hour and they'll be covered in ants. Anything sweet I now put in the fridge.

mario299

Indeed. The most select eggs to be taken are the great nest of the small black critters - they produce much more eggs/larva than most varieties. Ground dwellers, as a rule. Tens of thousands of eggs can be found in any such established nests. And quite delicious!

A Northern Thai delicacy for me is an Ant Egg Omelet. Throw some ant eggs into your normal omelet and you have a real treat.

Who's a geriatric?

bah.gif

So, only geriatrics wear glasses? cool.gif

Who's a geriatric?

bah.gif

There was me, bespectacled since the age of five, and all along I looked like a crumblie.

I even know acquaintances who were long-sighted in their youth (though fewer who were far-sighted...).

Anyway, there's surely not a lot of eating on an ant; you'd be better with the fried crickets from Soi 3.

If your son was traumatised he can't have much of a sense of humour. I would have thought more likely he will never let it lie, and will persecute you with that tale well into your dotage.

SC

in my GF's place - emerald triangle - the women of the village pluck the nests from the trees. These young , fresh from the nest ants, along with the larvae just hatching - which is said to be the DELICACY of ant-related dishes - these young ants are the toppping of a somtam-cucumber-style salad.

I would not expect a kid raised within Thai plus Farang customs to be overly surprised. Eating ants widely accepted. Maybe your son was just not expecting his Farang father from going as far as chewing onto a few eight-legged crawlers without the assistance of a good hot ketchup.

ya get used to it all . . takes time and antennas out !

There are certain foods the little buggers really like. NEVER open a package of those little sugar coated candies that come wrapped up in a roll if you don't intend to eat them all at one sitting. Put them on the counter for an hour and they'll be covered in ants. Anything sweet I now put in the fridge.

Sometimes I feel a little better when I read these posts. I catch some flack when I put alot of things in the fridge.

I often get the ants crawling out of my laptop keyboard. It's no biggie except when I'm dealing with them in bed. Fortunately, the cat has better eyesight than me and will hunt them down.

Umm I wear eyeglasses when typing. :o

Can I put the ants in a pasta? I love pasta, and miss it when I am in Thailand, and I am thinking they may add a bit of spice to the meal.

By all means. Ants adore pasta - especially cooked!