St Georges Day

cardholder

As time goes on and history can be more explained we know that Saint George was not English. Seems Syrian, so l wonder if he is just a myth in the UK, as a super hero but not a native, perhaps a hero of his own home land. :huh:

As time goes on and history can be more explained we know that Saint George was not English. Seems Syrian, so l wonder if he is just a myth in the UK, as a super hero but not a native, perhaps a hero of his own home land. :huh:

Good excuse for a p!ss up, though.

Good excuse for a p!ss up, though.

Absolutely, l have already started. :drunk:

Are you a teacher in Tower Hamlets or Haringay....you bluddy colonials know nothing, just coz you aint got no history dont go spoiling ours :D

Are you a teacher in Tower Hamlets or Haringay....you bluddy colonials know nothing, just coz you aint got no history dont go spoiling ours :D

Hmmmm, sorry but l am 100% English and my ancestors paid taxes to the crown way back in the 11th century. BUT a simple google of St. George will reveal all. :)

Hmmmm, sorry but l am 100% English and my ancestors paid taxes to the crown way back in the 11th century. BUT a simple google of St. George will reveal all. :)

I knew it...come on...Tower Hamlets or Haringay???:) ...Google :bah: .

The bacon butties sound nice

I knew it...come on...Tower Hamlets or Haringay???:) ...Google :bah: .

The bacon butties sound nice

With a dash of HP sauce, count me in. :D

St Patrick wasn't Irish. St Andrew wasn't Scottish and St Michael never bought anything from Marks and Spencer. :)

I think I trust the BBC to come up with the real truth

England's patron saint, a fourth century Christian martyr, is also patron saint of Georgia and the city of Moscow.

Very little is known about the real St George. He is thought to have been born into a noble Christian family in the late third century in Cappadocia, an area which is now in Turkey. He followed his father's profession of soldier and became part of the retinue of the Emperor Diocletian. The emperor ordered the systematic persecution of Christians and George refused to take part. In 303, he was himself tortured and executed in Palestine, becoming an early Christian martyr.

The legend of George slaying a dragon and rescuing an innocent maiden from death is medieval. St George's Day is celebrated in England on 23 April, reputed to be the day of George's martyrdom in 303.

England's patron saint, a fourth century Christian martyr, is also patron saint of Georgia and the city of Moscow.

Very little is known about the real St George. He is thought to have been born into a noble Christian family in the late third century in Cappadocia, an area which is now in Turkey. He followed his father's profession of soldier and became part of the retinue of the Emperor Diocletian. The emperor ordered the systematic persecution of Christians and George refused to take part. In 303, he was himself tortured and executed in Palestine, becoming an early Christian martyr.

The legend of George slaying a dragon and rescuing an innocent maiden from death is medieval. St George's Day is celebrated in England on 23 April, reputed to be the day of George's martyrdom in 303.

Yep, he was a Turkish bloke who had a bit of a barny with a big lizard. (did they have shrooms back then?)

CH, if we have to evac from here, I'll be round for lunch tomorrow :thumbsup:

Yep, he was a Turkish bloke who had a bit of a barny with a big lizard. (did they have shrooms back then?)

CH, if we have to evac from here, I'll be round for lunch tomorrow :thumbsup:

Soup kitchen, blankets and cases of Chang at the ready :D

23rd April is Easter Sunday. Who is George and what was his involvement in Thailand? :whistling:

It is common knowledge that St. George came here on R&R from the crusades. After meeting a nubile lass from Peppermint, he decided to stay a while and opened a bar close to Soi Buakhow.

Sadly he was cheated out of his share, the mamasan left and took all the best looking girls with her. He has now swapped his knights clothing and chainmail for a Beer Chang vest and a pair of flip-flops.

He often sits alone in the Jack Tar Bar on Soi 6, contemplating what might have been.....