BP commits up to $1 billion to restoration projects along Gulf Coast

News_Editor

BP commits up to $1 billion to restoration projects along Gulf Coast

2011-04-22 04:59:38 GMT+7 (ICT)

HOUSTON, TEXAS (BNO NEWS) -- BP Exploration & Production on Thursday committed up to $1 billion to restoration projects in areas of the Gulf of Mexico that were affected by the Deepwater Horizon spill.

BP signed a ground breaking agreement with federal and state agencies that will accelerate work starting this year on projects that will restore injured natural resources in the Gulf Coast.

"BP believes early restoration will result in identified improvements to wildlife, habitat and related recreational uses in the Gulf, and our voluntary commitment to that process is the best way to get restoration projects moving as soon as possible," said Lamar McKay, chairman and president, BP America.

Under the agreement, restoration will begin before the Trustee Council complete all of the Natural Resource Damage Assessment (NRDA) studies that are underway. The early restoration projects will undergo public review before they are funded.

"Our voluntary agreement to accelerate restoration projects builds upon cooperative approach BP has taken toward working with Gulf communities and regulators since the accident, and in assessing the potential injury to natural resources," added McKay.

On Wednesday, U.S. President Barack Obama reiterated the U.S. commitment to restore the Gulf Coast. He vowed to do "whatever is necessary" to restore the affected areas in U.S. soil.

On April 20, 2010, the Deepwater Horizon oil platform exploded, killing eleven men and ultimately releasing an estimated 4.9 million barrels of oil in the Gulf of Mexico, evidencing the vital connection between the environment and the economic health of the Gulf and the U.S.

"We believe the early restoration projects to be funded through this agreement represent the best way forward in restoring the Gulf," concluded the Bp America's President.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-22

• 11 months later...

but does it compensate for this ......?

2 Years After the BP Oil Spill, Is the Gulf Ecosystem Collapsing?

Gulf of Mexico fishermen, scientists and seafood processors have told Al Jazeera they are finding disturbing numbers of mutated shrimp, crab and fish that they believe are deformed by chemicals released during BP’s 2010 oil disaster.

http://www.washingto...collapsing.html

Edited by midas
  • Like 1

I do find it interesting that no shots of the ocean floor in that area were ever released

after the COREXIT was sprayed.

What happen to groups that use to monitor ocean life so closely.

Seems odd they could sink all that oil to the bottom using COREXIT

to displace oxygen out of the water yet not do any studies afterwards.

At times I wonder if that area of the oceans floor is a giant graveyard of oil covered mammals

Edited by flying

Gulf of Mexico fishermen, scientists and seafood processors have told Al Jazeera they are finding disturbing numbers of mutated shrimp, crab and fish that they believe are deformed by chemicals released during BP’s 2010 oil disaster.

Thank you for posting this. Prior to moving to Thailand I lived in Houston. One billion cannot even come close to paying for the damage to the Gulf by BP.

Thank you for posting this. Prior to moving to Thailand I lived in Houston. One billion cannot even come close to paying for the damage to the Gulf by BP.

kirk I keep wondering about the long-term effects on people that have been eating this seafood

since just after the BP incident? If it has such terrible effects on the fish as to cause deformities

equally there could be future health problems for humans emanating from those very toxic and very powerful

cleaning agents?

kirk I keep wondering about the long-term effects on people that have been eating this seafood

since just after the BP incident? If it has such terrible effects on the fish as to cause deformities

equally there could be future health problems for humans emanating from those very toxic and very powerful

cleaning agents?

I agree. Someone should be seriously concerned about the long-term consequences. I am afraid the Obama administration has done little about it. I have read the FDA does not allow fish with tumors to enter the food supply, but who can say what is actually being done.

I do find it interesting that no shots of the ocean floor in that area were ever released

after the COREXIT was sprayed.

What happen to groups that use to monitor ocean life so closely.

Seems odd they could sink all that oil to the bottom using COREXIT

to displace oxygen out of the water yet not do any studies afterwards.

At times I wonder if that area of the oceans floor is a giant graveyard of oil covered mammals

It's not just the ocean. The mangrove ecoystem is in crisis. As the mangroves die, the coast is more exposed to flooding and the coastal fauna is dying off. BP is running commercials touting how much it has done and that people should visit the Gulf Coast. The reality is that a few cm's beneath the surface on shore and in the mangroves are pools of oil choking and killing everything. BP got blamed but many of its contractors such as Haliburton are not in the spotlight.

• Like 1