Author Of Books On Thaksin To Contest Poll

webfact

NEW FACE

Author of books on Thaksin to contest poll

By Budsarakham Sinlapalavan

The Nation

A former Army lieutenant, who penned two books about self-exiled ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, plans to contest the upcoming general elections as a Bangkok candidate under the Pheu Thai banner.

Lieutenant Sunisa "Jiab" Lertpakawat, who resigned from the Army last year, will stand for election in the capital's Bang Khae constituency.

She said that after she resigned from the Army, she was approached by a senior Pheu Thai figure who told her the party was looking for young election candidates. She accepted the invitation, saying that becoming a politician would give her the opportunity to work for underprivileged people.

"As I've become closer to the masses, I've learned that many people in society have failed to get justice," she said. "They don't have the ability to make any demands from anyone. If I become an MP, I will be able to push for laws that make society more just."

Sunisa, 34, has been spotted at street rallies of the red shirts, who are mostly pro-Pheu Thai and avid Thaksin supporters.

The author of "Thaksin, Are You OK?" and "Thaksin, Where Are You?", Sunisa got into trouble with her bosses in the Army who in 2009 ordered an investigation into her writing of the high-profile books. She was found to have violated a Defence Ministry regulation that bans its personnel from writing political articles for publication or publicly supporting any political party.

She said she had not informed Thaksin - who is believed to be pulling strings behind the opposition party - about her decision to become a Pheu Thai election candidate. "But I think he should know about it by now," she said, adding that the only calls she made to him were when she requested interviews with him for her books.

When asked about her political idols, Sunisa named two former foreign leaders: Russian ex-president Mikhail Gorbachev and British ex-premier Margaret Thatcher.

"Gorbachev is credited for bringing peace to the world. He sacrificed his own country for the benefit of the entire world," she said, referring to his political reforms that led to the collapse of the communist Soviet Union.

"Thatcher displayed her ability to run the country, while showing great skill in simplifying political messages for easy communication with the people." she said.

Sunisa does not see her lack of political experience as a weakness in her quest for an MP seat.

"Being new politically, I will contest the election on a clean slate. I have no negative image as a politician and I am not corrupt. Luckily, I grew up at a time when people were taught not to be corrupt. I am a member of the young generation who are clean," she said.

The aspiring politician also pointed to another of her advantages: being single, she has enough time to serve her constituents in the future. And having no family of her own, "I have no need to save up money dishonestly for anyone."

After leaving the Army, she studied at the University of Birmingham in England and got her second master's degree in international relations. She obtained the first one from Thammasat University's Faculty of Social Administration.

Her request to run in the Bang Khae constituency - her native district - was approved by Pheu Thai, which last week officially announced her candidacy as well as that of other candidates.

She said that as a resident of the Thon Buri area of Bangkok, she was confident she had a good knowledge of locals' needs and problems. She pointed to what she described as uneven development between Thon Buri and the other side of the city.

"The Thon Buri side has a lot of potential for further development. The local residents still need more infrastructure," Sunisa said, adding that if elected, she would push for expansion of electric-train routes across the Chao Phraya River into Thon Buri. "This is something Thon Buri people have been waiting for a long time."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-22

Initially announced a month ago...

More Thaksinite candidates in the upcoming election was the announced candidacy with the Pheu Thai Party of Thaksin author and confidant, sacked Army Lieutenant Sunisa Lertpakawat (shown tearfully below with one of her two Thaksin books):

6.jpg

"Being new politically, I will contest the election on a clean slate. I have no negative image as a politician and I am not corrupt. Luckily, I grew up at a time when people were taught not to be corrupt. I am a member of the young generation who are clean," she said.

A different twist on the dis-proven Thaksin theme, "I'm too rich to be corrupt."

Being new or young are no insulators to being corrupt.

Nor is being single.

The aspiring politician also pointed to another of her advantages: being single, she has enough time to serve her constituents in the future. And having no family of her own, "I have no need to save up money dishonestly for anyone."

Edited by Buchholz

Better a new face, with history, than the son or daughter of a long-established political-clan, but will she still stand up to fight corruption after she sees it within the ranks of her chosen party ? Let's hope so !

And it can't hurt her book-sales, either. Isn't it time for a sequel, perhaps on Thaksin's global-travels, but not mentioning the USA or much of Europe, a research-trip to Fiji would be quite nice ! B)

"As I've become closer to the masses, I've learned that many people in society have failed to get justice,"

Like Thaksin

If I become an MP, I will be able to push for laws that make society more just.

Like pardoning Thaksin

"Gorbachev is credited for bringing peace to the world. He sacrificed his own country for the benefit of the entire world,"

Now she can champion a man who sacrificed his own country for the benefit of himself

When asked about her political idols, Sunisa named two former foreign leaders: Russian ex-president Mikhail Gorbachev and British ex-premier Margaret Thatcher.

"Thatcher displayed her ability to run the country, while showing great skill in simplifying political messages for easy communication with the people." she said.

I'm curious to hear as to what our British members think of her chosen role model. :unsure:

I'm curious to hear as to what our British members think of her chosen role model. :unsure:

The Iron lady......used to scare the sh*t out of people...:lol: .....think she did a far better job than the vast majority of PC, p*ssy politicans we have today in the world....:)

"As I've become closer to the masses, I've learned that many people in society have failed to get justice," she said. "They don't have the ability to make any demands from anyone. If I become an MP, I will be able to push for laws that make society more just."

Perhaps she could show how genuine she is by demaning justice for the 2,500 people thaksin assassinated without justice, plus the tak bai disgrace when around 100 young men suffocated to death, all under thaksins supervision.

And perhaps she could show how genuine she is by demaning closure on:

- The santika pub disgrace

- The muslim lawyer disappearance

- The hiso girl who drove recklessly and had a hand in the deaths of 9 people

- The young man who cut a girl in half by his reckless driving

and more.

Let's see how she displays her sincerity and whether she actually focuses on anything substantive.

Perhaps she could show how genuine she is by demaning justice for the 2,500 people thaksin assassinated without justice, plus the tak bai disgrace when around 100 young men suffocated to death, all under thaksins supervision.

And perhaps she could show how genuine she is by demaning closure on:

- The santika pub disgrace

- The muslim lawyer disappearance

- The hiso girl who drove recklessly and had a hand in the deaths of 9 people

- The young man who cut a girl in half by his reckless driving

and more.

Let's see how she displays her sincerity and whether she actually focuses on anything substantive.

Your allegation is false and libelous. Mr. Thaksin did not assassinate 2500 people. He was not charged and the miliatry junta appointed investigation did not claim he assassinated anyone.

In respect to the other events, ask your friends in power to address them. Write to PM Abhisit. Better yet go and and see him in person.

Edited by geriatrickid

Initially announced a month ago...

More Thaksinite candidates in the upcoming election was the announced candidacy with the Pheu Thai Party of Thaksin author and confidant, sacked Army Lieutenant Sunisa Lertpakawat (shown tearfully below with one of her two Thaksin books):

They are scraping the bottom of the barrel now

"Lieutenant Sunisa "Jiab" Lertpakawat, who resigned from the Army last year, ...."

If she resigned from the army last year, why is she still called "Lieutenant"?

"After leaving the Army, she studied at the University of Birmingham in England and got her second master's degree in international relations."

Now that's a real quickie master's degree.

"After leaving the Army, she studied at the University of Birmingham in England and got her second master's degree in international relations."

Must agree with poster JusMe here. That is a very quick Master's Degree from a reputable British university not known for peddling its degrees. Is the single, non-corrupt, young-generation lady sure she has been to Birmingham and not just to Khao San Road?

Also agree with JusMe that it is strange that she is still carrying her military rank, although she has resigned. But perhaps there are different rules in Thailand and people can hang on to their ranks/titles for ever and ever. After all, we are living in the "Country of 100,000 Generals" (or thereabouts) and know what an important role titles and uniforms play in peoples' lives. Heck, even school teachers are furnished with uniforms here, shoulder boards and all.

A different twist on the dis-proven Thaksin theme, "I'm too rich to be corrupt."

Nor is being single.

So, she's not rich, but being new and young still doesn't isolate her from the potential of being corrupt? Have you put this theory forward for any of the new potential democrat hopefuls, Buchholz, or is it because she has the temerity of putting herself up for election under the PTP banner?

But yet there's more, she's single, another non barrier to being corrupt in the Buccholz world apparently, or is there another agenda?

Previous posts from Buccholz and one from Siripon (just to clarify the discusssion) on Mingkwan and Yingluck from just one topic on TV http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/429079-thaksin-unlikely-to-back-mingkwan/

Buchholz: Mingkwan is said to have commented that he will move on to develop the natural gas resource as the discovery of new sources in the Gulf of Thailand and in Burma will help fuel Thailand for atleast 60 years. However, he will have to step on the toes of "the big man" again, but he doesn't care as he has no burdens of a wife or kids ifhe dies. (Bucholz addition of bold type)

Does he have the physical capabilities of putting up with the necessary rigors of being PM?

His passing out and subsequent hospitalization while simply giving a speech as a Deputy PM in October 2008 is well remembered: (well remembered, well, possibly by Buccholz? cue Buccholz amusing photo)

Siripon: It's interesting to see that Pheua Thai are thinking of courting the gay vote in Thailand. The macho red shirts of Rak Chiang Mai 51 won't know what to do! (Just in case anybody doesn't know what the innuendo is about)

Buchholz: Again the child-less bachelor aspect comes up.

But this time, it's bizarrely supposed to be an insulator from the temptation of corruption.

That same sort of distorted logic byThaksin, who just as bizarrely was supposedly too rich to be corrupt himself, is the height of irony.

Poor Mingkwan... I fear he has doesn't have the physical constitution for the continued tribulations and PTP in-fighting...

Buchholz: (apropos Yingluck Shinawatra) She's a bit easier on the eyes than the other Advisor to the Pheu Thai Party, Potjaman. (plus photo, again)

Buchholz (again on Yingluck Shinawatra) "At 44, I wonder why she's never been married... nor ever even been romantically linked to any man. Hmmmm..."

Buchholz: A restless night for Mingkwan as he prepares to take center stage tomorrow as a virginal Censure Debate Leader.

The pressure of this do or die time for him must be incredible as he contemplates his future with Thaksin's PTP. His career could be at stake.

I just hope he doesn't faint and get rushed off to the hospital again.

PhiPhidon ... why all the posts from just one (oops there is 1 post from another poster in there) person and from a different thread? (and why did you make changes in things you quoted?)

This thread about someone giving ludicrous reasons why she shouldn't be at risk for being corrupt when running for office in the proxy party of probably the most corrupt politician (I admit this is an arguable statement) certainly is open to dismissing her claims as to why she wouldn't be corrupt!

From the OP ....

Does anyone believe that growing up in the current generation has been during "a time when people were taught not to be corrupt"? She's already shown she'll break the rules to make a buck when she was in the military, but penning pro-Thaksin books :)

Edited by jdinasia

Nor is being single.

Is it possible to boil down whatever you are trying to say into something readable?

btw, it's Buchholz..

Does anyone believe that growing up in the current generation has been during "a time when people were taught not to be corrupt"? She's already shown she'll break the rules to make a buck when she was in the military, but penning pro-Thaksin books :)

And going AWOL in the process.

PhiPhidon ... why all the posts from just one (oops there is 1 post from another poster in there) person and from a different thread? (and why did you make changes in things you quoted?)

This thread about someone giving ludicrous reasons why she shouldn't be at risk for being corrupt when running for office in the proxy party of probably the most corrupt politician (I admit this is an arguable statement) certainly is open to dismissing her claims as to why she wouldn't be corrupt!

From the OP ....

Ludicrous reasons for not being corrupt, mmmm, let me think on that, oh it's because she wants to campaign on behalf of the PTP, ergo, she must be corrupt. She'll break the rules whilst in the military by writing a book about a hate figure of certain parts of the military - in my book that shows a healthy individuality but obviously not in yours. Lets face it, you're backing Buchholz because its the opposition, no other reason.

Ludicrous reasons for not being corrupt, mmmm, let me think on that, oh it's because she wants to campaign on behalf of the PTP, ergo, she must be corrupt. She'll break the rules whilst in the military by writing a book about a hate figure of certain parts of the military - in my book that shows a healthy individuality but obviously not in yours. Lets face it, you're backing Buchholz because its the opposition, no other reason.

The most ludicrous reason for not being corrupt comes from k. Thaksin himself. Ten odd years ago he said something like 'I'm rich enough not to need to be corrupt' ;)

Is it possible to boil down whatever you are trying to say into something readable?

btw, it's Buchholz..

It's perfectly readable, Buchholz, but as you've not bothered to quote any part of what I posted I'll have to spell it out for you - part of your objections to the lady being incorruptible is that she mentioned she was single - as on previous posts you seem to think that this equates to being gay, not that you come out and say it straight, you just imply the fact in innuendo. Readable enough for you?

The most ludicrous reason for not being corrupt comes from k. Thaksin himself. Ten odd years ago he said something like 'I'm rich enough not to need to be corrupt' ;)

It's now 2011.

btw, it's Buchholz..

It's perfectly readable, Buchholz, but as you've not bothered to quote any part of what I posted I'll have to spell it out for you - part of your objections to the lady being incorruptible is that she mentioned she was single - as on previous posts you seem to think that this equates to being gay, not that you come out and say it straight, you just imply the fact in innuendo. Readable enough for you?

A lot clearer than the rambling quoting before.

As for my thinking she's gay, while the notion that you have mastered mind-reading from reading online text is quite amazing... it's just simply not true.

My point was that none of the factors she mentioned... being new, young, single... were any sort of insulator against being corrupt. I didn't say she was corrupt, but the rationale she used citing those sort of criteria as something that preclude her being corrupt is laughable... not nearly as laughable as your failed mind-reading, but still, quite humorous.

It's now 2011.

and so now we have moved on to the second most ludicrous reason for not being corrupt - being young,

the third most ludicrous reason for not being corrupt - being new,

and the fourth most ludicrous reason for not being corrupt - being single.

It's now 2011.

So in these modern times one can never have enough money to refrain from being corrupt.

I think that a given is greed knows no limit. What amount does it take to ensure the individual has enough and thus is assumed to be above corruption?

Looking at the reported wealth of politicians, individuals, monarchies, etc around the world, as well as their reported association with various deals/groups and the seemly unexplained assets which are unreported, hidden, under other names, companies, etc, I doubt that the limit of personal greed has been determined, to date.

It's now 2011.

Correct now it is 2011 and we KNOW he was corrupt. The woman in question has already shown herself to be corrupt with her involvement in things not allowed while an active member of the military for the purpose of making money. You made the "ergo" statement, which while it may be true by and large, is something I didn't say. I am not backing buchholz ... I pointed out that she is already corrupt and the basic lie in here ~I grew up in a time when we were taught not to be corrupt~ lie

I'd say wanting to campaign on behalf of any political party in Thailand hints at the capability of being corrupt. All part of the territory wouldn't you say? And when you have a man like Thaksin as you mentor and inspiration, which despite protestations to the contrary, she clearly does - as shown first by the support lended to him in her book, and now by support to his party - what chance is there for her to stay clean and what reason is there for us to believe that she will be any different from the people she has willingly surrounded herself by? No reason i can think of.