Wat Tham Krabok, Monk Gordon, Rip

Thanyaburi Mac

Sad to say that buddy Monk Gordon at Wat Tham Krabok died 20 April at the local hospital.

His body is still at the hospital pending release by the U.S. Embassy, which first must try to contact next of kin in the U.S. for disposal instructions. So if anyone has any info on relatives in the U.S., please let me know and I'll pass on to the Embassy.

FYI, I just got back from WTK, copied some of Gordon's documents and have passed them on to the Embassy to see if they'll assist in the search for relatives.

Mac

Was he the US ex-special forces monk?

Former U.S. Army, yes, ex-SF, don't think so. The black guy, good friend. He assisted the Lao-Hmong refugees when they were at the wat for many years. It was in this context that I met Monk Gordon, and made the occasional pizza or Subway run to him.

Mac

post-32650-0-90123600-1303515659_thumb.j

The U.S. Embassy has authorized release of the body to the wat. The monks at the wat have told us that cremation should be this Friday, 29 April. I don't have the time as yet, will post later. My wife & I'll be going up.

Mac

Per phone call this morning with Phra Ong-Art at WTK, cremation now scheduled for 1500 hrs on Saturday 30 April.

Mac