Mandatory Online Uk Visa Applications From 2 May

Just seen this on the UKVAC website.

18 April 2011: Mandatory online UK visa applications from 2 May. All customers applying in Thailand for a UK visa will be required to complete a visa application form online using the online visa application system from 2 May 2011. After completing the online application form, customers will also need to book an appointment online to submit their biometric information and visa application at the visa application centre in Bangkok.

It has been 'mandatory' for some time for settlement applicants, among others, to complete an online application, but anecdotal evidence suggested that this was not strictly adhered to by the VAC.

I wonder if they will in future do so.

I hope they've fixed the system so that you can leave the odd field blank for information thats not known.

I.e. My father-in-law died years ago and my wife couldn't remember his date of birth. So we couldn't do an application online because the system doesn't (at least didn't) allow you to leave the date blank...

In my case, we could have probably gone looking for his birth certificate or an old id card at the house upcountry. But what's a kid raised as an orphan supposed to put in?

I had a similar problem with a government online form in the UK a few years back. I didn't have a phone so left the field blank but it wouldn't let me submit without putting one in. I phoned them up to complain and a lady said I could do it over the phone (I was using a friends phone) and she also couldn't do it.

Theory says this is a two-fold benefit to UKBA and the VAC - one it is supposed to show the applicant can read and write English, the other that the data supplied in in a pre-designed format.

Only problem with that, is that as anyone with half a brain is aware, unsupervised remote data-input can be carried out by anyone (and with or without the supposed applicant's knowledge), and that it provides no guarantee the applicant can in fact understand the questions and answers (particularly pertinent to using an agent to process the application).

The last few years of system changes in the UK visa system reminds me of the old RAF maritime search and rescue command. They basically task-spec'd themselves out of existence - deferring off jobs like target towing and rescuing non-aircrew to other branches or organisations. In the end the government turned round and said they had so few duties attributed to them that the job could be performed by non-military organisations and sacked the whole water-borne rescue service, nominally replacing them with the helicopter service (which is now under threat for similar reasons).

If the consulate defers everything to do with visas to VAC, and everything to do with passport renewals to HK & Phillipines, how long before the consulate gets trimmed then closed? If VAC tries to reduce workload by over reliance on computer-inputs, how long before they get closed and applications have to all be done remotely via HK or Singapore, or similar?

Sometimes these lazy-assed shiny-pants behind desks just don't think things through ... and yes, I know this requirement did originate in the corridors of power in London, but its the front line staff who should have objected with an eye on the future of their jobs, as well as thinking about providing best service to their customers.

Theory says this is a two-fold benefit to UKBA and the VAC - one it is supposed to show the applicant can read and write English, the other that the data supplied in in a pre-designed format.

Only problem with that, is that as anyone with half a brain is aware, unsupervised remote data-input can be carried out by anyone (and with or without the supposed applicant's knowledge), and that it provides no guarantee the applicant can in fact understand the questions and answers (particularly pertinent to using an agent to process the application).

The last few years of system changes in the UK visa system reminds me of the old RAF maritime search and rescue command. They basically task-spec'd themselves out of existence - deferring off jobs like target towing and rescuing non-aircrew to other branches or organisations. In the end the government turned round and said they had so few duties attributed to them that the job could be performed by non-military organisations and sacked the whole water-borne rescue service, nominally replacing them with the helicopter service (which is now under threat for similar reasons).

If the consulate defers everything to do with visas to VAC, and everything to do with passport renewals to HK & Phillipines, how long before the consulate gets trimmed then closed? If VAC tries to reduce workload by over reliance on computer-inputs, how long before they get closed and applications have to all be done remotely via HK or Singapore, or similar?

Sometimes these lazy-assed shiny-pants behind desks just don't think things through ... and yes, I know this requirement did originate in the corridors of power in London, but its the front line staff who should have objected with an eye on the future of their jobs, as well as thinking about providing best service to their customers.

Some very valid points. But, some of what you say is already happening. Hubbing and spoking, as it is called is already in place. For instance, applications from Pakistan are mainly dealt with by the Embassy in Abu Dhabi. This is happening all over. I firmly believe that it wil not be long before all visa sections are closed down, and all applications will be dealt with from UK. The online application is obviously accesible from anywhere. It needs only for the supposrting documents to be couriered to UK for the "visa officer" to look at. This is what is done with current hubs and spokes. I think it is inevitable.

It is a little unfair to place the blame on the front line staff. They did object, believe me, but they have very little say in the new "UKBA". Decisions are obviously made in London, and often by people who have little or no experience of how the visa operation works. Because of the recent " merger" of the UK Immigration Service and HMRC, some immigration and visa work is being done by former Customs Officers. Many of the original UKIS staff have left or been made redundant, and the whole operation, even overseas is being run by HMRC staff who have no idea of what they are doing. Soon the whole border operation, including border controls and visa work, may well be run by people with very little immigration experience - in fact a take-over by HMRC. There is, of course, a financial perspective. If it is cheaper to " hub and spoke" then hub and spoke it will be. Front line staff can object all they want ( and it is their jobs that are being lost ) but nobody will listen to them unless they can show that it is financially beneficial to keep overseas posts open.

Hello Friends

I will be going to Bangkok on 14 May 2011, plan to get married, then after this my wife will be handing in her Spouse Visa Application to the UK, do I have to do the online application too???

What is the correct way to do this now.

Alan :rolleyes:

I will be going to Bangkok on 14 May 2011, plan to get married, then after this my wife will be handing in her Spouse Visa Application to the UK, do I have to do the online application too??? What is the correct way to do this now.

In a word yes, as 7by7 has pointed out all applications will have to be submitted online from May, though a trip to Regent House will still be required to deposit the supporting evidence and hard copy of the application and carry out the biometric capture.

OK, great stuff, so we do the online application and then then print of this application once it has been sent, and like you say, then a trip to Regent House to hand in the other paperwork, oh and payment if not payed by the online site.

I think it should all work out sweet.

Getting excited now as time is getting closer for us.

I will let everybody know the date we hand in the Spouse Visa.

Thanx again for all who have helped with my questions

Alan :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

After completing the online form, applicants will need to book an appointment online to submit their biometric information and visa application at the VFS UK visa application centre.

??? Applicants will need to book an appointment online to submit their biometric information ??? and visa application at the VFS

Sorry but where do we do the biometric test then??? I thought its is done at the VFS Regent House when you go to your appointment???

Alan

One post deleted, as per forum rules.

31) All members are not allowed to quote news articles or material from bangkokpost.com or phuketwan inside topics on thaivisa.com. Posts containing quotes will be deleted from the forum. Links referring back to the sites are also not allowed and will be deleted.

According to UKVISAS.GOV.UK online visa appointments and payments are not supported

i think they need to update there website if it is now mandatory.

They may well do so when it becomes mandatory next week, it might confuse people if they did it early. I wonder if they will then take online payments then?

I completed our UK Visitor visa application on-line yesterday...relatively painless.

The problem with on line forms is, they never quite accommodate your situation precisely. They do say that you can make correction to the hard copy you submit,so some added explanations might be useful. Also, the allocated space for the 'Additional Information' is quite limited...approx 150 words.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that appointments were available next week...we chose Wednesday 5 May.

So I will report back after our trip to Bangkok (we are in Chiang Mai)

I was pleasantly surprised to find that appointments were available next week...we chose Wednesday 5 May.

So I will report back after our trip to Bangkok (we are in Chiang Mai)

Just re-read my post,,,

Of course Wednesday is the 4th of May...

The information on the UKVAC website now reads

All visa applicants (apart from exempt categories and children under 5 years) must apply in person at the visa application centre to submit their biometric information. To complete the visa application process, you must book an appointment online to submit your application form and biometric information using the Schedule an Appointment link on this website.

Applicants who visit the visa application centre without an appointment will not be able to submit their application, and will be advised to book an appointment online. If you are applying as part of a family or group, each member of the family or group must make an individual appointment. For example, if you are a family of 4 with 2 adults and 2 children (over the age of 5), you must make 4 individual appointments.

(My emphasis)

Each year I fill out a VAF1,in the UK, for my partner(her spoken English is excellent but she is not confident enough in her written skills).I then send it to her in Thailand with all the supporting documents for her to go to Regent House and submit the application. She does not make an appointment because she is happy to sit and wait. No problem, VV granted each time.

Now you must book an appointment online but currently the VFS site only seem to have open dates for about a week ahead and nothing later.(i.e. today shows availability up to the 10th of May and nothing for the rest of the month or June).

Does anyone know how you can book an appointment for a later dates as it takes about a week for the documents to get from the UK to Thailand and under this system it is just not enough time.

I have never used the online system, so don't know the procedure; however a couple of thoughts.

Does she have access to a computer so she can print out the form to sign after you have completed it?

Alternatively:

Can you print out the form to send to her before making an appointment? If so, then you can make the appointment once you know she has received the form.

Also, are you aware that visit visas are available with terms longer than 6 months; i.e.1 year, 2, 5 or 10 years? Obtaining one of theses would negate the need for her to apply every year; although she would still only be allowed a maximum of 6 months in the UK on any one visit and, usually, a maximum of 6 months out of any 12 in the UK.

See VAT1.4 Visa validity - What period for a multiple entry visit visa?