Live Nba Playoffs On Truevisions

Late last night when I was watching Truesport channel 104, a message came across the screen saying Game 3 of the Lakers - Hornets series would be shown live on 103 at 8:30am today. Sure enough, when I got up this morning it was on and I watched the entire game. There were a few stages (a minute or so) throughout the telecast with no sound and occasionally a big cross would appear on the screen with the words "Do Not Air". But very watchable none the less.

My advice for the rest of the playoffs would be to just have a flick through the channels when the games are on and hopefully there maybe some more live action. By the way nothing was mentioned on the electronic guide or on the website.

Cheers

There's another game on 103 right now! It started at 9am. Just into the 3rd quarter of Denver - Oaklahoma. Seems like there might be some more playoff action after all. Definately worth checking the channels each morning, thats for sure.

Yabbra... thanks very much for the tipoff to everyone...

I went ahead and dropped $50 to subscribe to NBA League Pass... Been watching pretty much all of the games, and it's been a great playoffs run thus far...

I spent the first weekend watching the first games live online thru a variety of means other than League Pass... And I didn't sleep at night, since most of the games were starting around midnight our time and running thru late morning...

Now with League Pass... the standard version has a 24 hour video on demand feature after each live game has finished. So I can sleep at night and watch the games at my leisure during the day...or at night before bedtime.

I wonder if True, in keeping with their usual practice, will run re-runs of the games 100 times over... like they do for most of their other shows...

Meanwhile, BRICKS to True for being so lame as to not even be able to get the games listed in their web schedule or printed magazine so more people would be aware of the broadcasts.

Just a quick followup... I happened to checking the TrueVisions web site today...and thought to check about whether they had yet posted any of the NBA playoff games to their online schedule...

And indeed, the web schedule is now showing NBA playoff games on Channel 103, which I guess is True Sports 3, for the upcoming week.... TS 3 is available on their Gold and Platinum packages, but not on Silver and Knowledge packages.

While I was searching for the NFL draft, I came across the Lakers Hornets game this morning and quickly set the PVR to record it. I didn't find the draft, but it is great knowing that the NBA playoffs are on.

Also, I am loving watching the NHL playoffs. NHL/soccer, NHL/soccer, you have to be kidding. Some people actually prefer soccer?

Yabbra, I don't get TS3... not willing to pay True for their Gold or Platinum offerings...

So for the NBA games, how are they handling the announcing/audio... Just picking up the U.S. network audio... or doing something else?

Yabbra, I don't get TS3... not willing to pay True for their Gold or Platinum offerings...

So for the NBA games, how are they handling the announcing/audio... Just picking up the U.S. network audio... or doing something else?

Edited by yabbra

jfchandler

They seem to be picking up the local US network audio from what I can tell. There have been a few pauses and breaks in transmission through the broadcast but still quite good. Heading for yet another close one in this series. Grizzlies by 3 at 3/4 time after a San Antonio half-courter on the buzzer!

Cheers

... don't know if True is doing this on purpose or not, but guess its probably a marketing strategy. Pretty effective one too since a bunch of viewers will probably switch over for at least a month to see the playoffs.

When I opted for the NBA's Playoffs League Pass for a one-time price of $50, it wasn't at all clear that True was going to do any of the NBA playoff games... But even so, now that they are doing at least some, I wouldn't reverse my original decision...

The basic NBA League Pass includes a 24 hour after video on demand feature, meaning you can watch the game when you want (including stop, rewind, fast forward and repeat) any time for 24 hours after the completion of the live game... That's meant I've been able to watch pretty much all of the games I've wanted to see -- nothwithstanding the fact many of them have been played live during normal sleeping hours here.

Also, I'm paying about 900 baht a month for the Knowledge package right now with two points of service... If I switched to the Gold Package (the lowest that provides TS3), then my monthly bill just for one month would climb to more than 2000 baht for two POS... The difference for the two months of the playoffs (more than 1000 baht per month and 2000+ baht total) is more than the price of the Playoffs League Pass...and without the VOD feature.

Then factor in the hassle of switching back after the Playoffs or continuing to pay True's inflated prices for c**p programming, and not having the NBA VOD feature, would be about $35 extra (approx. 1000+ baht) for every month thereafter keeping the Gold Package.

Then, of course, there's True's spotty record of actually providing complete coverage of such things. In the past for U.S. pro sports, at times, they and/or their networks (like ESPN Asia and Star Sports) have simply decided to not air some parts of playoff series and to air others... I don't want to be at the mercy of an operation that treats U.S. pro sports, and their viewers, in that cavalier way.

Of course, had I subscribed to their Gold Package lately, I would have been able to watch the Royal Wedding out of the UK live on CNN International... And you know, I really feel all broken up about having missed that.. DANG!!!! :bah:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was a great series between the Heat and the Mavs... Very enjoyable to watch.... Some great performances.

The NBA Intl League Pass for the Playoffs also performed well.... and for me, was well worth the $50 expenditure to have live and video on demand for all the games throughout the playoffs....

After starting out with some very annoying and repetitive canned promo ads with the same repetitive music throughout the early rounds, they finally did away with that and began carrying the NBA dancers and other live court activities during the timeouts and other breaks.... Much more entertaining to watch.

The only thing I'd say they could do better would be to follow the NFL's example and cut out the commercial break periods from the video on demand replays.....so the games just play through on replay....