Buying Meat

seriouseats

Where can i buy meat in PHuket? I would love to see a real butcher, even if its 100% thai. Im looking for Thai-french beef only. Not NZ/AUS.

Central has nice selections of high quality beef, but you can't get what you want, you have to take whats there and you cant choose your thickness/size.

The butcher shop on chaofa has very old meat, no selection. the thai french beef has boiled from just being left in the warm air.. when she handed it to me it was already gray. NZ/AUS is already almost brown.

There must be a place or a supplier that could do frozen orders every 2weeks who works mostly with restaurants?

I dont think i have seen a single porterhouse in Thailand, ever. Quite disappointing.

Imported and Thai meats are all available at Makro, imported meats you buy the whole cut

of meat which is frozen and they slice it to your requirements.

Thai meats are sold fresh and frozen, frozen is sliced to your requirements.

The also had deer, wild boar, rabbit, ostrich, crocodile and god knows what else the last

time i checked the freezers

Imported and Thai meats are all available at Makro, imported meats you buy the whole cut

of meat which is frozen and they slice it to your requirements.

Thai meats are sold fresh and frozen, frozen is sliced to your requirements.

The also had deer, wild boar, rabbit, ostrich, crocodile and god knows what else the last

time i checked the freezers

yepp,

fresh beef tenderloin at makro is approx 350 baht/kg for the whole filet in vacuum, rib eye been sold out past couple of weeks, but approx 250 baht/kg

lamb, fresh and frozen

Big C better on fresh pork ribs, tenderloin and sirloin

ground beef at 150 baht best at Tesco Lotus in town

Makro has thai beef, but not thai-french right?

No way TF would be 800 a kg at central and 350 at makro

Im looking for high quality thai-french meat, not those regular underfed thai beef that roam around in the vacant land near tesco

Tesco/Big c only has old brown meat.

Im looking for high quality thai-french meat, not those regular underfed thai beef that roam around in the vacant land near tesco

Excuse my ignorance but what is Thai/French meat :unsure:

Meat is much cheaper at Makro, the majority of restaurants shop there for there meat

Excuse my ignorance but what is Thai/French meat :unsure:

Meat is much cheaper at Makro, the majority of restaurants shop there for there meat

ThaiFrench is a brand name, and quality on par with what Makro sells, Its Thai beef. Expensive tho when displayed in Tops and Villa

Several major restaurants buy from pickup suppliers, and guess where most of them purchase their goods :rolleyes:

I know one major restaurant chain paying 800 baht Kg for Cheddar and Mozarella, sourced from Makro at 325 baht Kg, sticker removed tho B)

I'll give it a try, can't be worse than the thai-french at the big butcher shop on chao-fa east.. tasted like steak at those 30baht steak places. after 60secs of cooking it was already at medium.

The NZ ribeye was also worse than the thai-french at central

Still would like to know where to get high quality thai-french for the days i want to reward myself with a very high quality steak without having to move to issan and raise the cattle myself.

Edited by seriouseats

There are a couple of farang type butcher shops on the Chaofa Road east, maybe 4/5 Km if you're driving from Chalong Circle.

Can you be more specitic.. I drive CFE often but have noted them??

OK, if you were coming north from the zoo turn off traffic lights, about 200 metres or so before the 2nd next set of traffic lights, on the left hand side. I'll try and get more definitive location details for the second one.

OK, if you were coming north from the zoo turn off traffic lights, about 200 meters or so before the 2nd next set of traffic lights, on the left hand side. I'll try and get more definitive location details for the second one.

Meat isn't fresh there, that's why its so cheap. It's slowly boiled in its own juice since they probably don't have AC outside of opening hours.

Bacon there is just a joke, i cooked it 10 different ways last night, tried natural, in fat, with spices.. there is no way for it to have any semblance of a taste, way way way worse than the one in normal groceries store

please don't give them business.

OK, if you were coming north from the zoo turn off traffic lights, about 200 meters or so before the 2nd next set of traffic lights, on the left hand side. I'll try and get more definitive location details for the second one.

Meat isn't fresh there, that's why its so cheap. It's slowly boiled in its own juice since they probably don't have AC outside of opening hours.

Bacon there is just a joke, i cooked it 10 different ways last night, tried natural, in fat, with spices.. there is no way for it to have any semblance of a taste, way way way worse than the one in normal groceries store

I'm beginning to think that you're a troll with this subject, or perhaps with connections to the Thai/French meat brand? I've been in this shop several times, and they have fridges/freezers, and don't rely on A/C. It's also not particularly cheap.

I'm beginning to think that you're a troll with this subject, or perhaps with connections to the Thai/French meat brand? I've been in this shop several times, and they have fridges/freezers, and don't rely on A/C. It's also not particularly cheap.

Do you really need me to post the brown boiled meat they try to pass as thai-french sirloin?

Have you ever tasted a sheet of paper for your printer? that's what the bacon tasted like

Do you really need me to post the brown boiled meat they try to pass as thai-french sirloin?

Have you ever tasted a sheet of paper for your printer? that's what the bacon tasted like

OK, we know by now you dont like this butchers products.

We are very close to naming and shaming here, which is illegal in Thailand and thus against Forum rules. So no more negative comments on this butcher, and do not mention the name of business. OK?

OK, we know by now you dont like this butchers products.

We are very close to naming and shaming here, which is illegal in Thailand and thus against Forum rules. So no more negative comments on this butcher, and do not mention the name of business. OK?

I was hoping this guy would just move on instead of making a couple post about this butcher, i asked for quality meat and he insist on talking about low quality products.

I haven't a clue what Wagyu beef is, but, according to some of the most knowledgeable posters, it's high grade beef and it's available in Villa supermarket, Chalong.

:P

delicious, beef from japan

dont know all the japs beef names, but some of the cattle drink beer and have massage every day

at a price, is it 3000 baht Kg?

A new poster, with a user name that has a direct connection with the topic he's posting about! Could be a coinsidence, time will tell. To me smells as dodgy as that meat he keeps harping on about.

A new poster, with a user name that has a direct connection with the topic he's posting about! Could be a coinsidence, time will tell. To me smells as dodgy as that meat he keeps harping on about.

My thoughts exactly, not really original is he! I'm just waiting for the 'well I've just discovered this fantastic place........' post to illuminate us all.

• 2 weeks later...

So i tried the meat at makro.

The thai beef is of extremely poor quality, very ruberish and dry. Taste pretty shitty

The aussie beef is very old, not fresh(from look)

The average meat seems to be frozen and have been there for 3-4months on average.. Not very interseting.

Still looking for Thai-French beef at cheaper price than Central food hall(and more choice if possible? i'd love a roast)

Makro is a hell a lot better than the butcher shop, but still not very fresh.. meat is brownish. meat was bright red et central though.

Check what colour neon lights they are using above the meat displays. ;)

<snip>

Big C better on fresh pork ribs, tenderloin and sirloin

ground beef at 150 baht best at Tesco Lotus in town

Be careful if you buy anything "frozen" at Big C, especially the pork chops.

I think it is because the freezers are deep and the average Thai is short, so they pack the bottom 6" of the freezer with up-turned polystyrene containers to raise the level of the meat high enough for short people to reach.

Unfortunately this also means that the meat is not in the sub-zero air.

So if you must buy shrink wrapped pork chops, make sure they are fresh (they seem to make them every couple of weeks) and prod them with your finger to see if they are frozen.

Choice Foods gets fresh meat every Friday from Aus.

They were situated next to the sandwich shoppe in Chalong but they have moved to Kata, near Rick & Roll's place.

Choice Foods is right on my road The Kata New Road or better know as the Market Road in Kata and is the best I have found... I use their Beef and Cheese exclusively for our Burgers and our Cali Tex Mex Tacos and the Steaks are awesome as well.

They work with and supply many Hotel Groups such as Evason, Centara and Amari. You will pay a bit more but it's worth the taste, texture and compliments! Don't give away our secret ;)

Please see this link for a mapChoice Foods in front of the Beach Center

I hope this helps?

Choice Foods gets fresh meat every Friday from Aus.

They were situated next to the sandwich shoppe in Chalong but they have moved to Kata, near Rick & Roll's place.

Choice Foods is right on my road The Kata New Road or better know as the Market Road in Kata and is the best I have found... I use their Beef and Cheese exclusively for our Burgers and our Cali Tex Mex Tacos and the Steaks are awesome as well.

They work with and supply many Hotel Groups such as Evason, Centara and Amari. You will pay a bit more but it's worth the taste, texture and compliments! Don't give away our secret ;)

Please see this link for a mapChoice Foods in front of the Beach Center

I hope this helps?

Welcome to post #8jap.gif