Pc To Tv

murni

depending on your tv (we recently bought a high level samsung), you can connect, via USB, a USB stick or an external harddrive and plays directly on the TV... no need to buy a media player/center... i like the option of using an external HD, cuz that can serve many purposes, while a media center serves one purpose...dishing out content.

For hassle free viewing of all content including hd content, pop yourself down to pantip plaza and buy a western digital live hd media player. Very easy to set up, and plays anything you throw at it..

How much is the Western digital player?

Thanks....

i download movies to my computer, move them to my USB drive, then plug the USB drive into my 450 baht DVD player and then watch the movie on my TV. There is no need to buy anything (unless you don't have a USB). But be aware, the DVD player only plays .avi files which is 90% of the movies that you download but the blue-ray format movies are in .mp4. To play those on your TV, you'll have to plug your computer directly into your TV, play the movie on your computer but have the out put go to the TV instead of the computer screen.

Some TVs even have a USB port on them so you can bypass the DVD player all together. It's a wonderful thing!!

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Murni,

We watch movies (very rarely) played on our computer's DVD, with our computer video card's HDMI-out connected directly to our television's HDMI-in. Perhaps the simplest way, but we recognize you probably are looking for a solution that allows you to play the movies on the TV at a distance from your PC. So please ignore this message, if it's not useful, or relevant, to you.

We are not aware of what the effective distance limits of effective video signal transmission are via HDMI cables.

best, ~o:37;

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Murni,

We watch movies (very rarely) played on our computer's DVD, with our computer video card's HDMI-out connected directly to our television's HDMI-in. Perhaps the simplest way, but we recognize you probably are looking for a solution that allows you to play the movies on the TV at a distance from your PC. So please ignore this message, if it's not useful, or relevant, to you.

We are not aware of what the effective distance limits of effective video signal transmission are via HDMI cables.

Cables seem to top out in length at 15metres however A 26AWG HDMI cable at 15m will struggle with 1080p but will be fine for 720p/1080i, a 22AWG HDMI cable will be fine for 1080p @ 15m length.

For us to help, can you let us know if your are downloading dvd /tv stuff, or high definition stuff?

Also- are you ok with putting your files on usb stick, or an external drive?

Please be as specific as possible about what you want to achieve, and the equipment you currently own. That way we can be very specific about what your solution will be. :-)

Thank you all for your advice. We have looked at setting it up ourselves but we are not technically minded (both OAPs) which is why we would prefer to have someone do it for us.

I really appreciate you taking time to help.

I download TV programmes and films and put them on a usb stick for the dvd. Trouble is a lot are in formats that wont play & sods law most of what I want are in those. I only download Xvid & Vidx. Just have a LCD TV & an antiquated Pc.

Thank you

Ok, it doesn't sound like you need Hd, but with the other formats the dvd player usb solution isn't right for you.

Being a technophobe probably means getting your pc hooked up to your tv(not to mention the antiquated pc), or a network media player are unnecessary.

My advice would be similar to my advice earlier.

Western digital media player is your answer. As you don't currently seem to need hd, you could go for the cheaper wdtv standard box.

There really is no need to get anyone round to set it up for you, as you just buy it, plug it into your tv as you do with your dvd player, and then plug your usb stick unto the wdtv box. The menu is very easy, and you'll be up and running in no time at all.

I should add that if you have a hd capable TV, you should consider the hd version. It means you would be future proof for a while, and the hd box is often updated to make it better (updating is optional, and may be something you need a hand with)

Edited by mallmagician

For hassle free viewing of all content including hd content, pop yourself down to pantip plaza and buy a western digital live hd media player. Very easy to set up, and plays anything you throw at it..

definatly the best way via HDMI, put exteral hard drive and you 500gb downloads, can link 2 upto it. if your a brit highly reccomend series shameless, hilarious.

definatly the best way via HDMI, put exteral hard drive and you 500gb downloads, can link 2 upto it. if your a brit highly reccomend series shameless, hilarious.

Yes - if the OP has a HD capable TV, then the HD version is the winner.

If not, the standard version should be fine - if its still available (It was a few months back when I bought my HD version, as 2 shops brought me the older standard version before finding the HD version I wanted)

Either way - its the easiest solution for sure (Short of sitting at his PC and watching the stuff)

PC with a high end graphics card, 2T external HD, HDMI cable to Samsung 46" HD LED TV, VLC media player, wireless mini keyboard with touch pad.... I can play HD 1080p movies on my TV directly while lying in bed. I can adjust the volume, rewind, pause, sync the video/audio, insert subtitles amongst other things... VLC allows me to play many different movie formats (ISO, mpeg, avi, mp4.........)..... all hassle free with excellent quality and I love watching my 10Tb of movies and TV shows...... rolleyes.gif

Cables seem to top out in length at 15metres however A 26AWG HDMI cable at 15m will struggle with 1080p but will be fine for 720p/1080i, a 22AWG HDMI cable will be fine for 1080p @ 15m length.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Spoonman,

Thanks for this excellent technical information !

Edited by orang37

Again thanks but I am totally lost, it all sounds like Double Dutch to me (I am a she )

so will have to continue trying to find someone to sort it out,

Hi Murni.....

There is a 5 page discussion on what you are looking for nere on thaivisa internet forum.

There are lots of options/gadget$ out there for interfacing your downloaded files to your tv and some are covered in this discussion.

I would be happy with this little gadget

http://www.amazon.com/Micca-Slim-HD-Full-HD-Portable-2-5-Inch/dp/tech-data/B003YA13UE/ref=de_a_smtd

but availability here might not be easy.