Double-Entry Tourist Visa Rules

1) It is my understanding that a double-entry tourist visa is valid for 180 days from the date it is first used. i.e. If one uses the first entry on Date "A", one may use the second entry on any date fewer than 180 days past Date "A". Correct?

2) If one were to fly into Thailand fewer than 180 days past Date "A", is it possible to claim the 30 day visa exemption thereby preserving the second entry (which must still presumably be used < 180 days past Date "A")

Thank you.

The expiry date will be printed on the Visa.

Each entry can be extended by 30 days but you must make the second entry before the Visa expires.

The Visa is valid from the date of issue.

Depending on where you got it, it will be valid for 90 days or 180 days.

1. No. The validity is from date of issue of the visa itself and clearly written on it. Normal time is three to six months for tourist visa of more than one entry.

2. No. All entries on a tourist visa must be made during validity of that visa.

Thank you.

There is no "Expiry Date". There is only the statement: "This visa must be utilized before <date> if passport remains valid." It is unclear what is meant by the word "utilized". (I have been told other meanings and have made plans and bought plane tickets based on this other information.)

In my case, this date is 90 days from the date of issue. (Vientiane, double-entry tourist visa, "Category "TR"").

Where can one get a tourist visa that would have a date 180 days from the date of issue?

Thaivisa.com further muddies the waters on this page: http://www.thaivisa.com/272.0.html

4. VALIDITY OF A VISA

The validity of a visa is three months or six months. That means that you must utilize your visa within 90 or 180 days (dependent on number of entries) .

What is meant by "validity"? We already don't know what is meant by "utilize". And if this "validity" is "dependent on the number of entries", how many entries would one need to get 180 days?

(I have been told that the 1st entry into Thailand must be made before the date stamped on the visa. Subsequent entry on the double-entry visa must be made within 180 days of the first entry.)

We really need a reference to the legal source i.e. the Government of Thailand. In English.

I've just found this: http://www.immigrati...axpiredate.html It's not clear whether or not this is a Government website.

Thanks.

The expiry date will be printed on the Visa.

Each entry can be extended by 30 days but you must make the second entry before the Visa expires.

The Visa is valid from the date of issue.

Depending on where you got it, it will be valid for 90 days or 180 days.

Edited by Obb

Thanks for your replies on the Thai Tourist Visa on ThaiVisa.com. The issue is still not clear. Legal concepts are dependent on precise wording. There is much conflicting & unclear information on your website and elsewhere. Unsubstantiated opinions and guesses are not helpful.

Is there a definitive Thai government source - in English - to fully explain the Tourist Visa? Would Thaivisa.com be willing to hire a legal professional to straighten things out?

Thanks again.

Utillize before and expiry date are the same, just different wording on the stamps.

You must use both entries before the visa expired. Upon entry you get 60 days , which can be extended by 30 days for 1,900 baht. Than you have to leave the country and come back to have another entry (if it is a double entry visa). But this entry must be made before the visa expires (must be utilized before date), to get another 60 day and 30 day extension.

As has been already said the second entry must be made before the date on the Visa.

That will be 90 days or 180 days from the date of issue depending on where it was issued.

The date is clearly stated on the Visa.

Hi, I'm new to both "long-term stay in Thailand" and this forum. Please let me know whether my understanding is correct. Based on the information above, any double entry tourist visa (whether it's 90 or 180 days) could get you 180 days in the kingdom by doing: 1. 1st Entry = 60 days; 2. 30 day extension at the immigration office within Thailand; 3. 2nd Entry before the visa expires = 60 days; 4. another 30 day extension at the immigration office within Thailand.

In my case, I got my double entry tourist visa, which states "enter before date" as from 90 days from the date of issue. I've already done up to step 2 (30 day extension at the immigration office in Bangkok). If I make an overland border-run to say, Poipet, Cambodia before the "enter before date" and come right back the same day, will I get another 60 day stamp on my passport? If so, will I be able to do step 4 (another 30 day extension)?

Thanks very much in advance, folks!

As has been already said the second entry must be made before the date on the Visa.

That will be 90 days or 180 days from the date of issue depending on where it was issued.

Hi, I'm new to both "long-term stay in Thailand" and this forum. Please let me know whether my understanding is correct. Based on the information above, any double entry tourist visa (whether it's 90 or 180 days) could get you 180 days in the kingdom by doing: 1. 1st Entry = 60 days; 2. 30 day extension at the immigration office within Thailand; 3. 2nd Entry before the visa expires = 60 days; 4. another 30 day extension at the immigration office within Thailand.

In my case, I got my double entry tourist visa, which states "enter before date" as from 90 days from the date of issue. I've already done up to step 2 (30 day extension at the immigration office in Bangkok). If I make an overland border-run to say, Poipet, Cambodia before the "enter before date" and come right back the same day, will I get another 60 day stamp on my passport? If so, will I be able to do step 4 (another 30 day extension)?

Yes, simply make the second entry before the visa expiration, (utilize before date) or whatever terminology they used, you will receive a stay of 60 days, and that can be extended by 30 days.

Edited by beechguy

Along the same lines,,,

My Canadian friend arrived recently on a visa issued in Canada, they told him its good for 3 months but after 2 months he had to report to Immi to uttilize the 3rd month and pay a fee,

The acutal visa stamp does not say how long its valid for, but the Immi stamp at Sunny says 2 months, so does he have to go to Laos or could he do this at Udon Immigration?

Thanks, Lickey.

Along the same lines,,,

My Canadian friend arrived recently on a visa issued in Canada, they told him its good for 3 months but after 2 months he had to report to Immi to uttilize the 3rd month and pay a fee,

The acutal visa stamp does not say how long its valid for, but the Immi stamp at Sunny says 2 months, so does he have to go to Laos or could he do this at Udon Immigration?

Thanks, Lickey.

He was most likely told the visa was probably valid to be used within 90 days of being isssued, upon entry he would receive a permission to stay for 60 days, if he wishes to stay longer, he can apply for an "Extension of Stay" for 30 days at an immigration office within Thailand for 1900 Baht..

For the 30 day extension, he does not need to exit Thailand.

Thanks BG, will pass on the info,

So, in fact if he had applied for a Non O rather than a tourist visa, he would have got 3 months, although the visa might have been more expensive in Canada?

Thanks..

He would have had to qualify for a non immigrant O visa on something more than tourist reasons so for most people it is not an option.

Also he can not extend his tourist visa stay for 30 days by leaving country - only at Immigration can it be extended.

Yes, simply make the second entry before the visa expiration, (utilize before date) or whatever terminology they used, you will receive a stay of 60 days, and that can be extended by 30 days.

Thanks for the confirmation, beechguy. Have a great weekend.