True Vdsl

negreanu

I noticed that True have slashed the price on their VDSL products.

Also previously it was showing only certain buildings in BKK but that has been removed also.

Have they upgraded all their DSLAMS to VDSL or something and now any ADSL customer can upgrade upto 50mb/20mb upload service?

I suspect not, it's still probably only certain buildings. VDSL only has an effective range of about 300m, and at 1km its performance is much the same as ADSL2+, so I doubt True will be enabling VDSL for any DSLAMs outside apartment building MDFs.

The list you're talking about has been down for ages, I have one dated August 2010 and there haven't been any further lists published. Interestingly enough I'm in one of the buildings on that list, but when I applied three weeks ago they said I couldn't get the VDSL service. I've just tried again, will report back when they get back to me.

Good to hear the VDSL prices came down. The old prices were pretty pricey....and they still carry a premium price when compared to the True Ultraspeed cable internet packages. I see from the following True web page the 20-50Mb VDSL packages are just advertised along with other DSL products now. http://www.trueonlin...en/package.aspx

I expect the new True Ultraspeed Cable Internet packages have pushed the VDSL products to the side as True's high end internet. For any building/area having True Cable TV, I expect the cable feeding those buildings/areas will be upgraded (eventually) to provide the Cable internet Ultra speed packages also (10Mb to 100Mb) and some may be upgraded already. Go to this link for the latest info for those locations where cable internet is now available (even through some True Shops seem to be clueless about the locations). Another icon at the bottom of the page gives the 10Mb to 100Mb package pricing. http://www.trueonlin...d_coverage.aspx

Of course when it comes to Thailand, your location, location, location makes all the difference in what internet service/packages/reliability is available to a person. For me here in western Bangkok I've been pretty much a captive audience of TOT....6Mb is the fastest to my moobaan. But True is supposedly close to completing installation of cable TV/internet to my moobaan. Trunk line installation in my moobaan has been done for over six weeks...True is apparently having some issue in completing portions "outside/leading to the moobaan" and according to True it's going to be a few more weeks...which is probably a few more months in Thai time...that's their story of the week when calling since I signed up in late February, along with a lot of the folks in the moobaan, during a weekend True promotion within the moobaan. They promised a mid/late March home installation to moobaan residents but that time has come and gone...no one in the moobaan has been hooked up yet. Oh well, I'll just remain under TOT lock-and-key until True gets around to completing the cable TV/interent to my moobaan.