IAEA declares Pakistan's nuclear program safe and secure

News_Editor

IAEA declares Pakistan's nuclear program safe and secure

2011-04-25 22:05:48 GMT+7 (ICT)

ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN (BNO NEWS) -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) on Monday declared that the nuclear program of Pakistan is safe and secure, the APP news agency reported.

IAEA Director General Denis Flory remarked the importance of national responsibility for security undertaken by Pakistan on its nuclear program. Flory was in Islamabad to participate in the International seminar on nuclear safety and security.

Pakistan put in place an action plan in 2006 to strengthen nuclear security. The plan includes management of radioactive sources; nuclear security emergency coordination center (NuSECC); and locating and securing orphan radioactive sources.

"Pakistan has worked with IAEA both to implement the Action Plan and to provide resources for its implementation," added Flory. "Pakistan is the 10th largest contributor to the Nuclear Security Fund, contributing $1.16 million."

Furthermore, the nuclear agency's Director General hailed Pakistan's strong commitment and serious approach to nuclear security since implementing its plan, managed by the Pakistan Nuclear Regulatory Authority (PNRA).

In addition, more than 200 PNRA staff members have attended IAEA training courses. The nuclear agency has also provided Pakistan with detection instruments to improve security at a number of facilities.

"The future of nuclear industry is not written down. It will depend on the actions taken at national and international levels to strengthen safety, to harmonize the implementation of international safety standards and to build the confidence of society through transparency," Flory said.

The IAEA's chief added that clean energy generation, including solar, hydropower, wind, and nuclear, is a much needed way to address the world's growing energy demands as fossil fuels are running out.

Flory remarked that his agency will continue working on improving nuclear safety in order to prevent another serious accident, referring to the ongoing crisis in Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant.

"Another serious nuclear accident or terrorist incident will completely erase the development of nuclear power worldwide," added the Director General. "We need new thinking and a new approach adapted to our dynamically changing global situations."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-25

OK .. I have to admit it .. I am TIRED.

When I first read the topic I saw ......

"IKEA declares ......"

Maybe the UN should turn the job over to IKEA.

I think IKEA is appropriate as Pakistani scientists seem to have form when it comes to selling self-assembly nuclear capability, and that IS a scary thought. :ph34r:

By some accounts, Pakistan is almost a failed state. Apparently, they do have some difficulties controlling the more fundamentalist Islamists within its own borders, not to mention the ones who cross over from Afghanistan. On top of that, there is widespread and endemic corruption.

So, I guess I am a little skeptical when the IAEA declares that Pakistan's nuclear program is safe and secure.

:crazy: Paranoia.

Go back to your alarmist meltdown thread.

Nuclear energy is green energy, safe and secure.

Are you just trying to upset people? The Nuclear industry has never claimed to be a "green" energy source. Is this new label something you have decided upon?

I am however, delighted with your view. Can we start shipping spent fuel rods and radioactive waste to your room for storage?

Are you just trying to upset people? The Nuclear industry has never claimed to be a "green" energy source. Is this new label something you have decided upon?

I am however, delighted with your view. Can we start shipping spent fuel rods and radioactive waste to your room for storage?

Never claimed to be green? :rolleyes:

Nuclear power is true ‘green’ energy The Washington Times

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jan/29/nuclear-power-is-true-green-energy/

NUCLEAR ENERGY: THE GREEN ALTERNATIVE The Canadian Nuclear FAQ

http://www.nuclearfaq.ca/nukegreen.htm

James Lovelock: Nuclear power is the only green solution

...Opposition to nuclear energy is based on irrational fear fed by Hollywood-style fiction, the Green lobbies and the media. These fears are unjustified, and nuclear energy from its start in 1952 has proved to be the safest of all energy sources. We must stop fretting over the minute statistical risks of cancer from chemicals or radiation. Nearly one third of us will die of cancer anyway, mainly because we breathe air laden with that all pervasive carcinogen, oxygen...

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/james-lovelock-nuclear-power-is-the-only-green-solution-564446.html

That nuclear energy is safe and clean isn't some isolated maverick borderline opinion by fringe scientists. Get real.

I am pro-nuclear. If that upset people, their problem. I avoid the meltdown thread just for their sake. more can i not do.

Interesting is that some accept the Authority of the IAEA (or the UN) only when it gets their way.

.... and so cheap. Chernobyl cost 7 trillion $$$ without bringing something in return.

Sure it's green. When your milk or the waters near you turn green then you're in trouble. It's highly contaminated then. ;)

Safe? Yes, it's safe to say that it can't be controlled.

Secure? Well, they should have left the doors open so that the pressure wouldn't have caused an explosion. The beast wanted to get out ans so it did and still does.