LTR Health Insurance : Self-insurance with US$100,000 Bank Deposit

Background: I had an O-A visa for which I had the required health insurance. I used the same policy for meeting the LTR visa requirement in 2023 April. The Pacific Cross insurance expensive (at over 100,000 Baht premium) and  is useless because it has a 300,000 Baht deductible. I would like to use the self-insurance route of having a US$100,000 bank deposit. I have been trying in vain to contact LTR visa service in Bangkok. A written message to them gave me a an irrelevant canned answer without addressing my question. Phone calls get me a response to contact by email.

How does one go about getting LTR approval of the self-insurance? I got an account  Balance Letter  from my Charles Schwab bank and attached it as a file to my profile on the LTR website, but got no acknowledgment from LTR. 

Would it be better to make a visit to the LTR office  in Bangkok? Does one need an appointment? Would a Balance Letter be sufficient to meet the LTR requirement? 

If anybody has had any experience with this, please comment.

"You must have a health insurance policy covering medical expenses of no less than 50,000 USD. The remaining coverage period on the policy shall not be less than 10 months on the date of application. Or you can provide evidence of savings of at least 100,000 USD held in a Thai bank account or overseas bank account for no less than 12 months before the date of application."

Frits, thank you. Yes, I am aware of the requirements, but I am trying to find out how to register the

US100,000 deposit with the LTR organization, so that I can cancel my Pacific Cross health insurance. 

8 hours ago, HerewardtheWake said:

Background: I had an O-A visa for which I had the required health insurance. I used the same policy for meeting the LTR visa requirement in 2023 April. The Pacific Cross insurance expensive (at over 100,000 Baht premium) and  is useless because it has a 300,000 Baht deductible. I would like to use the self-insurance route of having a US$100,000 bank deposit. I have been trying in vain to contact LTR visa service in Bangkok. A written message to them gave me a an irrelevant canned answer without addressing my question. Phone calls get me a response to contact by email.

How does one go about getting LTR approval of the self-insurance? I got an account  Balance Letter  from my Charles Schwab bank and attached it as a file to my profile on the LTR website, but got no acknowledgment from LTR. 

Would it be better to make a visit to the LTR office  in Bangkok? Does one need an appointment? Would a Balance Letter be sufficient to meet the LTR requirement? 

If anybody has had any experience with this, please comment.

I've found going to the LTR office in Bangkok to be the best way to get answers to questions when I couldn't get answers by phone or email.

From others posting in this thread - make sure the bank account balance is with Charles Schwab Bank, and not Charles Schwab Brokerage.  Apparently the LTR unit no longer accepts brokerage accounts for the self insurance requirement.

If you do find you need to purchase an insurance policy, check out LMG Insurance - you may find their long stay visa plus policy with a high deductible to be better priced than the one you have:   https://www.lmginsurance.co.th/en/long-stay-visa-plus-premium-plan-100000-usd

I am in similar situation. Pacific Cross Insurance has proven to be a waste of money and bureaucratic mess so the 100k route now looks better.

I think that you have to visit the Bangkok LTR office to settle this as emails may not be answered. Being in the office forces a decision to be made. 

LTR VISA UNIT

Expatriate Services Division One Stop Service Center for Visa and Work Permit (OSS)
18th floor, Chamchuri Square Building (MRT Sam Yan Station)
Phayathai Road, Pathumwan Bangkok 10330
Email : ltr[at]boi.go.th
Tel : +66(0) 2209 1100 ext. 1008,1109

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HerewardtheWake said:

Frits, thank you. Yes, I am aware of the requirements, but I am trying to find out how to register the

US100,000 deposit with the LTR organization, so that I can cancel my Pacific Cross health insurance. 

To get my LTR, the BOI asked for 12 consecutive months of financial statements submitted in one PDF. I downloaded 12 PDFs and joined them into one doc. One monthly statement was not enough in 1/2023. 

• Thanks 1

I initially showed BOI an investment account holding $100k but they rejected that saying money must be in a BANK account...and they wanted 12 months of BANK statements with $100k which I did not have...so I was forced to buy insurance.

Leaving money in a US BANK account is expensive because the interest rates are low. Schwab banking pays only 0.48 annual interest on deposits but you can earn about 5% on a 1-year US T-bill from Schwab investing...so the difference in interest is about $4500 USD per year. Therefore, rather than earn 0.48 in a Bank account, it may be cheaper to buy the minimum Thai insurance and be prepared to pay cash for most medical services. 

Your experience and best choice will vary based on your current/expected insurance premiums and your pre-existing conditions for which you get no insurance coverage.

• Like 1

Tom, Misty, Thailand, thank you for such useful replies and information. You have addressed my questions precisely. I will talk with my insurance agent and see if I can lower my premium, albeit for another useless deductible schedule. US$100,000 will generate interest slightly exceeding the policy premium, so Tom's idea is very relevant. 

Just a reminder, in the unlikely event you're not aware -- Tricare, and other similar gov't health policies, *are* acceptable for an LTR visa. I had to get one of those throwaway polices from LMG for my OA visa, as Tricare wasn't, of course, one of the 12 acceptable Thai health policies. Thus, one more nice feature of an LTR visa.

• Like 1

My understanding was that you had to show a balance of over 100k for the last 12 months. Monthly bank statements or a yearly breakdown if you are lucky enough to have a bank supplying such a yearly summary.

Worst-case is if your bank only issues monthly statements in another language than English. Then you're in for substantial translation costs.

1 hour ago, HerewardtheWake said:

I will talk with my insurance agent and see if I can lower my premium, albeit for another useless deductible schedule. 

I contacted Pacific Cross Thailand directly to ask if I could buy an annual policy with only the LTR required coverage of $50,000. They said "no", I must buy a policy with minimum 3 million baht coverage...because that was what they offer foreigners (the policy is called "New Normal Lifestyle Series"). The agent readily admitted that this was in excess of BOI/LTR requirements and said there was some internal consideration of a policy to meet the legal requirement. 

I have paid Pacific Cross 2 years of premiums and they have still not paid for my only small claim I made months ago. First they claimed the forms were never received which was proven false. Then they asked for more paperwork and yet another copy of my passport. I have given them 3 signed copies of passport already this year. What BS!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HerewardtheWake said:

Tom, Misty, Thailand, thank you for such useful replies and information. You have addressed my questions precisely. I will talk with my insurance agent and see if I can lower my premium, albeit for another useless deductible schedule. US$100,000 will generate interest slightly exceeding the policy premium, so Tom's idea is very relevant. 

I have Pacific Cross with a 40,000 baht deductible. I’ve had PC for six years. During that time I haven’t made a claim and I am getting about a 20,000 baht no claim discount. Whatever your deductible, it you are not making claims then you can get a break on the cost.

Just because I haven’t made a claim I don’t consider my PC insurance to be useless. I have it for a catastrophic health event, the most likely and obvious would be a vehicle accident but it could be any number of other types of illnesses and injuries. I just had a case of Dengue fever. I was lucky it wasn’t serious but I was happy to have the insurance it it had because serious.

For the OP, with regards to the $100K US$ equivalent in the bank for self health insurance, that was the approach that I adopted for the LTR self health insurance (even thou I have excellent health insurance from European Cigna).

Initially I provided BoI proof exceeding the the $100K US$ cash equivalent for 1 year (in Cdn$ trading account) and BoI ejected that.  I then provided proof exceeding the the $100K US$ cash equivalent in a Canadian 'Registered Retirement Savings Plan' (RRSP) (similar conceptually to a USA 401k) but since my RRSP was 'self directed' (and being 'self directed' it allowed me to trade equities with the account) that was also rejected (even thou its called a 'savings account' and even thou it is registered in Canada). 

In the end I pointed to $100K US$ cash equivalent in a Foreign Currency account (Euros) in a Thai bank (Krungsri), that had just recently exceeded the being present of 1-year requirement and that was accepted. 

For the Krungsri, I went to the bank in person, and they provided me a bank statement with an accompanying letter stating the money had been in their bank for > 1 year.

The above took a few iterations with BoI (pointing to account after account), but for a LTR-WP (where the WP supposedly means wealthy) I don't consider the above too onerous.  I guess it all boils down to one's definition of 'wealthy'. 

I could have done all this much quicker if I had adopted a different approach (providing more detail on all of my financial status) but I preferred then (and still prefer now) not to provide more detail to BoI than needed.  That attitude of mine likely dragged things out much more than necessary.

Edited by oldcpu

10 hours ago, Tom100 said:

To get my LTR, the BOI asked for 12 consecutive months of financial statements submitted in one PDF. I downloaded 12 PDFs and joined them into one doc. One monthly statement was not enough in 1/2023. 

Just to ditto Tom100's post above.  To self-insure for a LTR visa BOI is now looking for $100K equivalent in a bank acct for 12 months...proven by providing account statements for that 12 months period.  The great, great majority of bank/financial firms provide a monthly statement although a few might only provide a quarterly statement.     And acct statements are usually available right online going back at least a year....actually usually for years.

• Thanks 1

I did manage in October 2022 to get BOI to accept my Roth IRA which was well in excess of the $100,000 requirement.  I plan on re-submitting this account upon renewal and seeing if they accept it as it is part of my estate planning portfolio and does not get touched.  I did make a point of pointing by including a plan description out that a Roth IRA is a liquid account with no taxes due or early withdrawal penalties.  My brokerage statement includes a 3-year look back chart on the first page of the statement which may have convinced them the money was available had been available over time.  

I also have a Pacific Cross policy that qualifies, but given the uncertainty of being able to maintain that policy should I ever cost Pacific Cross real money I would prefer to have BOI accept real assets rather than a marketing promises on a Thai Insurance company brochure.