Pls Brainstorm With Me...House Or Condo?

Soulwy

After having lived here 8 months last year, I stayed at 4 places. Next month I will leave CM for a couple of months, but will return. I am thinking of either renting a condo for 8 months p.y. & 10-12.000 baht p.m. or renting a house for a year for around 7.000 baht per month.

I like an open view and see nature (2 out of 4 sides) a bit quiet, but also comfy.

But what is it like to live in a house surrounded by plants when it rains? Houses aren't well insulated as in the West. I lived in a Thaistyle townhouse (no green outside, dark inside) and last cool season it was sooo cold and dampy. Never again.

To avoid cold and dampiness is it better to live in a condo? On a higher floor with no mosquitos and damp?

Are there any heaters out there to keep the house warm and dry?

Suggestions on a house up to 10 km from the centre or a condo are welcome.

At least 1 bedroom. Good bathroom and kitchen. Well insulated. Bright.

House around 7000 baht (half furnished)

Condo around 10.000 baht.

Spasibo!

As others will say, drive around and check out the moobans that look nice to you. Nothing beats driving up to a house, calling the number, and dealing direct with the owner. If it is in Thai, write down the number and have a Thai friend call for you.

As for rain, there are very nice western houses available for under 10K a month

PlanetX, of course I drove around a lot, and I'd say -for me- it is not the best way. The apartment I rent now, well, I couldn't have found it on my own.

Today rained again, very nice, but how is it to live in a house on the ground floor with plants around...dampy?

Go with the house, no, make that the condo…, no, house, I mean condo, or the house.

Take comfort 'soulwy' whatever you finally move into, house or condo……..It will be the wrong decision. Dam that green grass!

Hi Soulwy

A good mate of mine who has lived in Thailand for many years, and resided in both houses and condos/apartments, has written a couple of excelent articles covering the pros and cons of both. His writing style is both entertaining and informative.

* Guide to Renting a Thailand Apartment

* Guide to renting a House in Thailand

Enjoy ;)

Aitch

I'd go house

can't beat a bit of garden and somewhere to have a barbecue and a couple of beers...

David

Went past your place this evening, no barby and no beer, most dissapointed!!

When the ground starts shaking I want outside quick, not sure how you can do that in parts of a condo. And of course, to what standard was the condo built!

No, not damp - at least not at my house, or the house I lived in previously. I prefer houses with nice gardens for privacy.

The place next to my house is coming available soon, and it's adorable. However, it's more than 10 km from town.

My previous townhouse had only 1 entrance and I had neighbours as securityguards. How about safety, Sadie? Do you feel ok when you leave your house for a day, for a week and at nights? I don't have dogs like you... rolleyes.gif

Go with the house, no, make that the condo…, no, house, I mean condo, or the house.

Take comfort 'soulwy' whatever you finally move into, house or condo……..It will be the wrong decision. Dam that green grass!

biggrin.gif If I'd go for comfort I'd go for a condo... but to breathe and to live (I am at home all day) I like a house. Yeah, maintenance...haha...that's something to think of! But I am sure I could find someone (or sometwos) to do that for me.

Thanks for the read Aitch...

I am ready to build a home here. With a hot water laundrymachine wink.gif hahaha...

A house or a condo, I yet have to decide on.

Oh wow! I didn't realize how important all this earthquake stuff was to all you Aussie and Brits until I starting talking to them. You guys haven't really lived until you've been thru a tornado or a huricane, Yes, a home would be better for quick disaster evaucation. A condo in the city would be better for connecting with other westerners. One of these events happen just every five years or so.

Edited by NancyL

I personally would go with a house. Then you can have your own private gate, driveway, carport ,front and back gardens and doors and all of them nice and close to the ground incase of fires,earthquakes or whatever. It also gives you the choice of having a dog or a cat to supplement the local snakes, lizards and scorpions. Maybe it is just me, I did try a brief experiment in Condo living, but I never really felt settled and didn't like the feeling that the only door entered onto a shared corridor. I never knew who or what was going to be there when I opened it. But I am not knocking anyone for living in Condos especially if they like to be right in the City and they are certainly easy to maintain. Good luck anyway.

For brain storming, I would suggest a simple matrix of 3 column and many rows. Put ACTIVITY (or similar description) on the first column and CONDO and HOUSE on the next two.

Then start in column 1 and list all the things you have liked about all your past homes and all the things you think you would like when you return to CNX. Put down anything and everything and then check the condo and/or house column when you can get it there.

When I said put down everything, I meant it literally. I like sitting on a balcony or porch late every afternoon reading. I like seeing people walk by. I used to live in an apartment building that had a 24 hr supermarket on the ground floor...needless to say, I liked that (nothing like being able to walk down to get the chocolate chip cookies on the spur of the moment).

I like a gym, sauna/steam room, and pool within walking distance or short drive. I have liked living next door to a shopping mall and the metro. Covered parking.

You mention a concern a house with vegetation might be damp and dreary during the raining season. Put down words like open, fully of light, cheery, etc. You might put down bedroom on east, patio on east, etc., to get away from hot, western sun and keep air conditioning costs down.

Include internet quality because you do not want to miss a single day of Thai Visa.

Don't be constrained by what you know or think is actually available in CNX. Put it all down. Remember, in real brain storming, no idea is bad or rejected out of hand. It is written down to deal with later.

If you really want to be thorough, redo the list in the order of preference. But most likely just taking a week or so to list stuff and checking the columns will help you decide.

I'd go house

can't beat a bit of garden and somewhere to have a barbecue and a couple of beers...

David

Went past your place this evening, no barby and no beer, most dissapointed!!

When the ground starts shaking I want outside quick, not sure how you can do that in parts of a condo. And of course, to what standard was the condo built!

I'm on a diet

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

For brain storming, I would suggest a simple matrix of 3 column and many rows.

If you really want to be thorough, redo the list in the order of preference. But most likely just taking a week or so to list stuff and checking the columns will help you decide.

Dear Noise, thanks for handing me this tool. I have homework to do. smile.gif

In answer to your question, yes, I always feel safe, whether I'm home alone or leaving my house vacant for days or weeks. When home alone, my front gate has a lock, plus all doors in the house have sliding bolt locks on the inside. Windows have little bars on them. When away, I padlock the doors and the gate. Also, I live in a small village on a dead-end street, so the only traffic on my street is residents and related traffic. All my Thai neighbors (small village families) are very nice and respectful, as I am to them. I have a lovely neighbor woman who set up my water delivery and garbage pickup for me (not all of us have a "TGF" to handle such things).

One thing I will never do, that I see many of my friends on Facebook doing, is add my home to Facebook Places and check into it! Everybody knows that anybody can see your home on FB places, right? It's not a private entry.

Anyway, yes, I feel safe, and the dog definitely helps :) I don't know if you like dogs, So, but if you do, you can always foster dogs for Care for Dogs. Then you can give them back to the shelter or find them a new home if you leave Thailand.

I lived in both 15K pm Condos and 15K pm houses. I guess for under 10K pm you get a 2 bed 1 or 2 bath in OK area.... most working or retired farang expats seem to be around San Sai. Mee Chok Rimping area especially. I think under 10k house will be hard to find in good estates around this area- most i know pay approx. 15k for a decent place in a decent Moo Barn. Some find an extraordinary bargain. As we did when offerred a better place than was staying in for 9K bt pm, so moved out of a good 16k pm place and into a better 9k pm place at mate's rates. Good deal.

Better deals in Hang Dong or little further out... I seen some in huge and good farang style estates for 5k pm. Yet they are further out. Airport area can have a few bargains.

Yet if you want inner city living then Condos are best... as any available houses will be crap or small thai style shop houses for under 10k pm.

For me Meechok Rimping area has best of all worlds- access to all a farang will want plus decent Moo Barns with good housing. Yet thankfully it not inner city- so up to the individual. Some like the Huay Gow and Nimma region for a bit more youngster action. Many farang families and retirees out San Sai way especially. More quiet and air fresher to me. Still can pop into city 6 km whenever wish by car, motorbike, song tow, tuk tuk, etc. Any drinking and\or social night I will Song tow in and not drive. Also driving into town peak times and festival times is a killer...

Investment wise- I cannot take paying owners of Condo's over 8% return, like you do on Nimma and Huay Gow... House wise you mostly paying 4-5% of house value pa, unless great deal and snap one up for 3% odd. Owners naturally think their house approx. 50% more than they could actually sell for... so the return can be relative. You will find amazing differences in price for very similar houses.

I would now say that brokers charge a pretty high premium. As a broker was trying to get 14k pm for the one I now have for 9K bt pm. Yet basically i find the difference is approx. 20% higher with real estate agents. As they want 2 months for a 1 year contract. When in fact they should charge a fixed rate of 5-10K dependent on the house to be worth going through an agent. So if you can go direct to owner- this is always far better. My 2 cents... after a decade in CMai on\off. Mostly on...

Cheers Jay

Thanks Jay, your post is much appreciated. I also think for 10 K you can find a nice house. I do have activities in the North-Westside of the centre, but I wonder if I'd really miss them when I am settled in a nice house.

I just found the perfect, perfect house... open view /4 sides, no neighbours, it's only a pity it is in Mae Jo, 24 km from the city... not so perfect after all wink.gif

I live on a middle class Thai estate, 1/2 way out to Mae Rim, about 8km from the centre.

Modern house, small lawn, 2 bedrooms, 1 en-suite, partially furnished for 5,000bht a month

(If I were Thai I just know I could have got it for 4,000bht a month)

No views, just other houses.

Estate fee (rubbish collection and road sweeping) 120bht a month

Water 180bht

Electricity 700bht

3BB internet (very fast) 631bht

You can't beat a house for value for money

But I did have to buy a brush utter to cut the lawn at 2,400bt

And it had rubbish furniture, so that was another 25,000bt

Oh well, I reckon I have still saved over a condo.

No foreigners either!