People's Alliance For Democracy Urges Govt To Expel Cambodian Troops

webfact

People's Alliance Urges Govt to Expel Cambodian Troops

The People's Alliance for Democracy urges the government to evict Cambodian troops and community from the overlapping area around the Preah Vihear Temple.

Core leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, or PAD, Major General Chamlong Srimuang stated the current fighting between Thailand and Cambodia can be resolved by canceling the memorandum of understanding, or MOU, the country signed with Cambodia in the year 2000 over the undemarcated border area.

Chamlong said the MOU has caused damage to the country while the government should push out the Cambodian settlement and troops from the overlapping area.

The PAD's core leader then called on the government to close the border with Cambodia to cut its military logistics line and for the air force to organize an aerial exercise of F-16 jets and the army to hold a war drill to show the country's military prowess.

Chamlong continued that the Ta Muen Tom and Ta Kwai temples and the Thai territory around the Preah Vihear Temple could now be occupied by Cambodia if the group did not hold its marathon protests.

PAD coordinator Prapan Khoonmee suggested the battle along the Thai-Cambodian border is from Cambodian's intent to try to get the United Nations and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations to intervene in the border conflict.

Prapan said Cambodia's military action aimed to show the international community that the two ancient temples are in its territory as showed on the 1:200,000-ratio map.

He added the Thai government has had no proactive action to counter such a claim and the army cannot do anything other than wait for order from the government.

Prapan said the army should take a clear stand on the protection of the country's sovereignty or it can be deplored for dereliction of duty.

The PAD coordinator then reiterated the group's three demands are justified as Cambodia violated the 2000 MOU.

He stated the group is pressing for the government to cancel the country's membership of the World Heritage Committee because of the inconclusion on the border conflict.

Prapan remarked if the Cambodian community and troops are not pushed out of the overlapping area, Cambodia will invade deeper into Thai territory.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-04-26

footer_n.gif

Perhaps the PAD would like to form the front line in this war they are so desperate for Thailand to enter... If they feel that strongly about it then show the world exactly how much... or perhaps they just want to occupy Government house and hope someone else will bleed and die for them?

'MunterHunter' timestamp='1303813767' post='4382666']

Perhaps the PAD would like to form the front line in this war they are so desperate for Thailand to enter... If they feel that strongly about it then show the world exactly how much... or perhaps they just want to occupy Government house and hope someone else will bleed and die for them?

Are the PAD not aware that it takes 2 to tango ? Just demand Thai troops be removed from the border and all will be well , are they not aware the locals lived in harmony for many a long year ? Once the conflict is dispersed . locals will most likely go back to the way things were before the glory seekers jumped in the preserve the borders of the kingdom .

Oh , excuse me , I forgot the most important factor FACE

Are the PAD not aware that it takes 2 to tango ? Just demand Thai troops be removed from the border and all will be well , are they not aware the locals lived in harmony for many a long year ? Once the conflict is dispersed . locals will most likely go back to the way things were before the glory seekers jumped in the preserve the borders of the kingdom .

As if Face isn't an issue for Cambodia in this?

I don't think face is the major issue here, often the intellectually vapid way foreigners account for situations in Asia they don't understand.

The important factors here are the reactionary position of the Thai army, the vested interests it is linked with including the appalling PAD together with its Thai and foreign camp followers.

Edited by jayboy

I don't think face is the major issue here, often the intellectually vapid way foreigners account for situations in Asia they don't understand.

The important factors here are the reactionary position of the Thai army, the vested interests it is linked with including the appalling PAD together with its Thai and foreign camp followers.

Ah .... "intellectually vapid way foreigners account for situations in Asia they don't understand" ... certainly seems like a little more "characterizations of other posters" :)

But it IS nice of Jayboy to leave out the Cambodians entirely, and to overlook any other potential issues :)

Ah .... "intellectually vapid way foreigners account for situations in Asia they don't understand" ... certainly seems like a little more "characterizations of other posters" :)

But it IS nice of Jayboy to leave out the Cambodians entirely, and to overlook any other potential issues :)

I have no brief for the Cambodians or their thuggish leader, Hun Sen.

However no amount of distraction from the small band of military cheerleaders can avoid the truth that Thailand has been internationally shamed by its military and weak government.

However no amount of distraction from the small band of military cheerleaders can avoid the truth that Thailand has been internationally shamed by its military and weak government.

I think people know your opinions, but there is absolutely no call to flame other members. I don't know of any "military cheerleaders", even the PAD seems to be criticizing the military. Your claims of being "internationally shamed" and why, just don't match up with the international news, although they do appear to match some academics' claims :)

Even your academics point out that there appears to be a Thaksin issue, and Hun Sen's deliberate antagonization of Thailand :)

Having persuaded their politcal wing to 'boycott' the election because they know they'll be humiliated, the PAD are desperate for Thailand to get involved in a convenient little war with Cambodia to get the election cancelled on

'national security' grounds. I bet Mr Suthep, knowing the Democrats are likely to do badly as well, is also "monitoring the situration"

Shamed? Military? Weak government? Could you elaborate a wee bit? The three bullets on your overhead sheet do need some explanation, my dear chap :ermm:

Shamed? Military? Weak government? Could you elaborate a wee bit? The three bullets on your overhead sheet do need some explanation, my dear chap :ermm:

Having watched the international news from 5 different sources I fail to see any facts in those claims. It seems like the international news sources are being fairly unbiased and reporting issues arising from both sides of the border.

Govt Urged to Expel Cambodian Troops, Settlement

UPDATE : 27 April 2011

The People's Alliance for Democracy calls on the government to push out Cambodian soldiers and settlement from the disputed area around the Preah Vihear Temple before holding peace talks to prevent intervention from a third country.

People's Alliance for Democracy, or PAD, spokesman Parnthep Puapongpan said the memorandum of understanding Thailand signed with Cambodia in the year 2000 over the undemarcated border areas has caused a limit on the Thai military's use of its force.

Parnthep said Cambodia has installed a cable car system on the high terrain near the Thai border for the transfer of firearms and built a temple and community in the overlapping area while the Thai government has responded only by protesting.

Parnthep stated Cambodia is pushing for the World Heritage Committee to include the ancient ruins in the Thai territory as part of the Preah Vihear Temple compound which has already been listed as a Cambodian World Heritage site

The PAD spokesman said Cambodia has renewed its effort to bring the border conflict to the international level to seek intervention from a third country .

He suggested the government not rush to seek talks given Phnom Penh is preparing to ask the United Nations Security Council to dispatch its observers to the disputed zone.

Parnthep commented the government should push out Cambodian troops from the overlapping area while the army chief 's vow that Cambodia must face several times of damage than Thailand could have adverse effects as it could present an opportunity for a third country to observe the situation in the disputed zone.

He then called on all parties to condemn Cambodia for using women and children as human shields for its troops during the battle with Thailand.

PAD historian scholar Thepmontri Limpayayom said Cambodia must expedite its effort to seize Tamuen Thom and Ta Kwai temples in Surin as it has proposed the registration of Kho Kae Temple as a World Heritage site.

The temple is located among Cambodia's three World Heritage sites of Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom and Preah Vihear Temple.

He said Cambodia will present a French-created map which includes Tamuen Thom Temple as part of Cambodian territory at the next meeting of the Word Heritage Committee in the next two years.

Thepmontri asked the government to scrap the 2000 MOU to prevent Cambodia's occupation of ancient ruins near the border and the Foreign Ministry to disclose the documents the Thai representative signed to recognize the management of the area around the Preah Vihear Temple.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-04-27

footer_n.gif