Retirement Pension

If you have obtained a "retirement" visa on the grounds you have a monthly pension equal to or more than 65000baht/mth do you actually need to transfer 65000 to Thailand each month? If not how much do you think Immigration would expect to see when it came to renewal?

I have posted this question as I have let my visa lapse as I had to start making alimony payments and was no longer able to transfer 65000 each month. I now exist on tourist visas. Have I made a big big mistake?

I have raised this in another topic but want to raise it's prominence.

The rules are the rules, 65K plus every month. That said, my local Immigration Office in Kap Cheoun said they expect to see 80K transferred each month. However, when I visited them two weeks ago, in preparation for the renewal of my visa at the end of this year, they said the all important document was the Verification of Income letter from the Embassy. This did not need to be a new letter each year. In addition, my wife said that she got the impression that they also want to see a healthy balance on the Bank Book, say 100K plus, at the time of application. They told me that they were not too concerned by how much was transferred each month and that armed with the Letter and an up to date bank book I would not need to produce a bank statement for the previous year, something that I was asked to produce on the two previous renewals.

However, as you let your original 12-month visa lapse, I presume you will have to leave the Kingdom and start the visa process all over again. When you do so, a healthy bank balance and the Letter of Verification from the Embassy may be sufficient to get your visa. Good luck! :o

When I obtained my retirement visa a year ago and again when I renewed it a couple of months ago, the Immigration Officer was only interested in the income and bank balance. I was not asked to demonstrate anything about the transactions during the year.

In fact, since I have accounts at two banks, I produced bank book copies and bank letters from both. She only took one and gave the other bank to me!

Since the letter from the Embassy showed an income of about 80,000 Baht she seemed to want the bank information just to show that I did have a bank account here.

When I obtained my retirement visa a year ago and again when I renewed it a couple of months ago, the Immigration Officer was only interested in the income and bank balance.  I was not asked to demonstrate anything about the transactions during the year.

In fact, since I have accounts at two banks, I produced bank book copies and bank letters from both.  She only took one and gave the other bank to me! 

Since the letter from the Embassy showed an income of about 80,000 Baht she seemed to want the bank information just to show that I did have a bank account here.

Your last statement,says it all, Lanny . and if the OP must return to his homeland anyway,he could get the multi OA based on retirement there and not have to concern himself with the Thai banks for almost 2 years, if he plays it right. In any event a sizeable bank acct. plus a 65K pension each year should be fine come each renewal time. No need to bring in the 65 K each and every month either,just have enough in the Thai bank at renewal time to satisfy thai imm.,given the fact that he's a pensioner.( in other words he wouldnt need 800K since he does have the pension also)