Beautiful Green Snake In Our Garden

I wouldn't have spotted the over 1 meter long snake if not one of these funny birds with an expressive brown/white/black face had not attacked the snake with loud cawing.

The bird didn't give up until the snake went into hiding somewhere.

What snake was it? About 2 cm thick

And the bird?

There are several it could be. Most are harmless, but you DON'T want it to be a green tree viper. They are pretty, but deadly.

Green_tree_viper.sized.jpg

It was most likely the more common green tree snake that is not venomous. It's also much slimmer and with a smaller head. I don't happen to have a photo handy.

The added problem with the viper is that they hide in the green grass...cannot see them and they do do run away like most snakes when someone is near....instead they curl up into a coil and wait......they are not fast, so they use camo and stealth to hide and protect themselves.....but that does not help us if we are walking around them or gardening.......the ones that run away are best.

The malaysian pit viper is the worst....brown and hides under grass, dead leaves etc.

I have caught 4 of the green ones now around our house.........several other species also and 2 x 4m burmese pythons.

Interesting observation of the speed. This one was not very quick, I thought--- having no experience. Plus it curled up when attacked by the bird and when lady tried to shy it away it curled around the table foot.

You are right , hard to detect. Tell me please, how to get rid of it.

Will try to identify using the link, thanks.

Why would the bird attack it, even following the snake through the garden. Is it nesting time?

The word 'Deadly' is often over-used when it comes to snakes and if Thailand is to retain her snake population (which is already severely under threat) a certain amount of education is needed into actually how dangerous a certain snake is.

Of all the snake species in Thailand only 5 are considered fatal if untreated (Cobra, Russell's Viper, Krait, King Cobra and Malayan Pit Viper)

The rest you would have a chance with apparently!!

Thailand Snakes

This is an excellent site by a guy who really knows his onions.

The green viper is poisonous....but not as poisonous as the malayan pit viper if that helps........it is not considered deadly....but if it was a child and or you got enough venom...perhaps multiple bites....and a long way from help...you could be in trouble of course.

As for the bird....no doubt they had a nest nearby and protecting young.

Does having a dog or two help keep a garden free of snakes, or does it just expose them to the risk also? I have a young daughter who will soon be young enough to run around in the garden.

Which dogs are the best snake deterrents. Is it adopt-a-soi dog time?

We have a Jack Russell......still get plenty snakes but none inside.....they are good rat catchers so hoping they might do same if one gets inside.

Outside I play catch and release.

Geese are supposed to be very good at keeping snakes away.

We had 6 geese also......none now......snake ate them all.......he was 4m long but.

http://www.siam-info...-poisonous.html

Some info about snakes, just follow the index, for the poisonous ones..

Maybe you recognise one.

C

Gosh, how many snakes! No chance of identifying my snake But is says only non- or mildly poisonous snakes , so no deadly viper?

How deadly is deadly, any grace period, nothing that can be done?

Poisonous ones are here, some vipers at the bottom of the page.

http://www.siam-info.de/english/snakes_poisonous.html

C

There are several it could be. Most are harmless, but you DON'T want it to be a green tree viper. They are pretty, but deadly.

It was most likely the more common green tree snake that is not venomous. It's also much slimmer and with a smaller head. I don't happen to have a photo handy.

Looks a lot like a Red-tailed racer./(ngu kieo kab mak)

http://www.siam-info..._gonyosoma.html

but then again, there a few different green snakes that look like this, some non poisonous, some poisonous. One note mentioned on this site, is it takes a professional to differentiate between the species.

Edited by featography

Does having a dog or two help keep a garden free of snakes, or does it just expose them to the risk also? I have a young daughter who will soon be young enough to run around in the garden.

Which dogs are the best snake deterrents. Is it adopt-a-soi dog time?

You have to get one that detests anything reptily!, our 4 year old female goes after all intruders. I have seen her take on many snakes in our garden, some she gets, others manage to evade her. I do'nt think she will take on a really big one but her barking will alert you, thats for sure.

Our other dog a Siberian Husky is completely useless!.

post-44176-0-41135200-1304313422_thumb.j

post-44176-0-40644400-1304313432_thumb.j

but then again, there a few different green snakes that look like this, some non poisonous, some poisonous. One note mentioned on this site, is it takes a professional to differentiate between the species.

This particular green snake is a White-lipped Pit Viper.. venomous & dangerous.

(i actually took this photograph myself a couple of years ago in Bangkok. Ian must have google searched & linked it from one of my flickr accounts :) )

Where in Bangkok? My wife's mother was bitten by one of these last year.

This particular green snake is a White-lipped Pit Viper.. venomous & dangerous.

(i actually took this photograph myself a couple of years ago in Bangkok. Ian must have google searched & linked it from one of my flickr accounts :) )

Where in Bangkok?

cheated a little, it was captive at the Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute on Rama IV (a nice sheet of glass between me & it.. :rolleyes: )

a good place to go & familiarise oneself with some of the more dangerous species prior to encountering in the wild - they have them all..

cheated a little, it was captive at the Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute on Rama IV (a nice sheet of glass between me & it.. :rolleyes: )

a good place to go & familiarise oneself with some of the more dangerous species prior to encountering in the wild - they have them all..

Now there is a good idea.

My ignorance of snakes knows no bounds. I don't like them and I was previously lambasted by snake lovers for having a 'shoot first, ask questions later' approach.

Whilst I see no useful purpose for the existence of snakes (St Patrick had the right idea :rolleyes:) I have no real desire to kill living things unless they are a danger to me.

Improving my knowledge will help in this respect, but - sorry - if I am doubt I am taking no chances. In the meantime I will add the institute to my list of places to visit.

if I am doubt I am taking no chances.

you and Mrs Goshawk alike..

a couple of weeks ago we had a Buff striped Keelback in the the garden..

5470492137_3eb4ca70d4.jpg

"come and look at this" i said. But before i could say anything else & to my horror & anger, a lump of concrete was hurling past me & directly toward the totally harmless creature !

luckily she missed it, and it slithered away (albeit with haste). Afterward, she admitted that she was glad she never actually killed it - just a 'gut reaction' on her part.. She'll learn..

if I am doubt I am taking no chances.

you and Mrs Goshawk alike..

a couple of weeks ago we had a Buff striped Keelback in the the garden..

5470492137_3eb4ca70d4.jpg

"come and look at this" i said. But before i could say anything else & to my horror & anger, a lump of concrete was hurling past me & directly toward the totally harmless creature !

luckily she missed it, and it slithered away (albeit with haste). Afterward, she admitted that she was glad she never actually killed it - just a 'gut reaction' on her part.. She'll learn..

I like Mrs Goshawk already ! :D