No Political Motivation Behind Closure Of Red-Shirt Radio Stations

webfact

Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said yesterday that action had been taken because those radio stations had really broken the law by operating illegally, interfering with legal radio frequencies and provoking social unrest.

"Why would they be arrested if they didn't do anything wrong. The stations tried to provoke violence, and even urged soldiers not to follow orders. They did something wrong and they got caught - that is the truth," Prayuth said.

The stations are intended to stir up violence? Well fancy that. Remember folks the red leopard doesn't change its spots. A chain of radio stations are part of their preparation. Since the reds are both arrogant and lazy they did not bother with the small print of operating the stations but even if they had they would have been done for incitement. Last year the authorities backed off in the place of intimidation and incitement. This year they have learned from their mistakes. Thaksin and the red team just go on repeating theirs.

I don't think that's fair actually. To be honest, I very much doubt that these radio stations didn't have licenses because they were "lazy" - I think it's a question of accountability. I mean, if a licensed radio station was spouting the kind of stuff that they are alleged to have broadcast, they licensee would have a lot more problems on their plate than running an unlicensed radio station. Not getting a license was a good business decision... you can't ban ther licensee if there is no license.

Either way they get shut down. Don't forget to keep one's eye on the ball which is the reds prodding here and there to put down infrastructure for another street assault.

No, from your posting record I wouldn't call you a military cheer leader at all.You lack the fanatacism, reactionary politics and refusal to condemn any of the Thai military's many excesses etc etc.

OK, I'll try harder :)

I agree with you on Prayuth though. He's a bit wacko, wouldn't you agree? A scarily dangerous individual - he seems to truly believe he is infallible - not to mention the lies.

But somehow I think he'll serve out his term with no fear or threat of reprehension. Not perfect, by any means, but give me Anupong any day.

No, from your posting record I wouldn't call you a military cheer leader at all.You lack the fanatacism, reactionary politics and refusal to condemn any of the Thai military's many excesses etc etc.

OK, I'll try harder :)

I agree with you on Prayuth though. He's a bit wacko, wouldn't you agree? A scarily dangerous individual - he seems to truly believe he is infallible - not to mention the lies.

But somehow I think he'll serve out his term with no fear or threat of reprehension. Not perfect, by any means, but give me Anupong any day.

I wouldn't label him as wacko and he was hand-picked by Anupong. True believers are always a bit scary when they have power. If I had to pick a true believer that believed he had the kingdom's well being at heart versus a Thaksin who not only thinks he is infallible, but who showed he was wrong about it ... I'd pick Prayuth.