Enough Of Pattaya

Theo007

isn't moving away a bit drastic?

why not avoid the stuff that annoys you? cos in Philipines it probably wont get any better. We're never be fully at home around here, there will be 'I've had it' moments every day, unless you dont go out at all.

every time you have the bad experience, repeat to yourself : 'I am here only becaus the climate is nicer than in Europe' Then you'd be OK.

edit: climate is nicer some of the time

totaly agree

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isn't moving away a bit drastic?

why not avoid the stuff that annoys you? cos in Philipines it probably wont get any better. We're never be fully at home around here, there will be 'I've had it' moments every day, unless you dont go out at all.

every time you have the bad experience, repeat to yourself : 'I am here only becaus the climate is nicer than in Europe' Then you'd be OK.

edit: climate is nicer some of the time

Do people really move here because the climate is better? There are plenty of better climate options.

I'm surprised you have "I've had it" moments everyday. I never have them. Maybe you go out too much.

One thing is for sure - nothing will better in the Philippines if you can't handle Thailand.

yes, tropo, almost every day.

No, don't go out too much, but I leave apt every day for a walk to Avenue or Central or 2nd floor balcony at Starbucks on Beach Road, stuff like that. Beach Rd is not a good place to walk, you must agree with that. So with best and only boulevard in town ruined, I feel 'I've had it' the moment I get off the bike to enter Starbucks on Beach Rd. So I don't go as often as I would like or when not feeling strong enough to deal with the aggravation. In Europe I walk to coffee shop and do not get hassled but it is -25C often in winter where Im from. So it is a compromise, warm weather, hassled at sidewalk. But those are not reasons to leave. They are just minor annoyances. Of course, after 7 years while locals get angrier and angrier every year, the moments of 'I've had it' get more serious. To the point that I can't live here 12 months a year.

So, no. I dont go out too much, but I do go out every evening. And more often than not theres an angry look, rude comment, nasty giggle. And i feel 'I've had it' But I go out next night again.

I don't get my curtains cleaned for 50 000 baht. But if that was to happen I would feel 'I've had enough' I would let them keep the curtains and buy new ones. I wouldn't move to Philipines because of that.

Edited by valgehiir

yes, tropo, almost every day.

No, don't go out too much, but I leave apt every day for a walk to Avenue or Central or 2nd floor balcony at Starbucks on Beach Road, stuff like that. Beach Rd is not a good place to walk, you must agree with that. So with best and only boulevard in town ruined, I feel 'I've had it' the moment I get off the bike to enter Starbucks on Beach Rd. So I don't go as often as I would like or when not feeling strong enough to deal with the aggravation. In Europe I walk to coffee shop and do not get hassled but it is -25C often in winter where Im from. So it is a compromise, warm weather, hassled at sidewalk. But those are not reasons to leave. They are just minor annoyances. Of course, after 7 years while locals get angrier and angrier every year, the moments of 'I've had it' get more serious. To the point that I can't live here 12 months a year.

So, no. I dont go out too much, but I do go out every evening. And more often than not theres an angry look, rude comment, nasty giggle. And i feel 'I've had it' But I go out next night again.

I don't get my curtains cleaned for 50 000 baht. But if that was to happen I would feel 'I've had enough' I would let them keep the curtains and buy new ones. I wouldn't move to Philipines because of that.

Having spent many years in the Philippines before settling here maybe I appreciate the place more than your average Joe. I never walk around the streets here - and by the sounds of it - maybe that's a good thing.

just checked it on Google Earth. Almost exactly 50 km from Pattaya Klang/Sukhumvit Intersection to the Soi PMY/Sukhumvit Intersection in Rayong. By car it would be rather 80 to 90 km, but you don't have to travel that far. Ban Chang is much closer. Pollution there is not that bad as the overall wind direction is blowing all the Map Ta Put dirt away from Ban Chang.

Sitting at the back of the class, you seem to have missed AWO's point.

Ban Chang is actually in Rayong Province. Basically, this part of 331 is barely in Chonburi Province.

But, as AWO pointed out, this is all of little benefit to the OP. Personally, I can never understand why people go to Starbucks. All one has to do, is look around the neighbourhood, and find somebody from Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Italy, Greece, Turkey, and a variety of other habitats. Ask them, where you can get a good cup of coffee --- simple kind of stuff really -- i.e. OP needs to start engaging with the people who live here.

jombom, it is totally cool if you don't understand why people go to Starbucks.

I realize there are other places for coffee in Pattaya, no need to ask anybody where to get a cup of coffee. You see, I like going there. It would take way long to give all my reasons.

Philipines and Boracay.. friend of mine has been kite surfing there for last 2 winters, 5 months each time. He has been to Thailand. The only reason he spends his winters in Boracay is because the wind is good. If not for the wind he would spend winters in Thailand.

jombom, maybe OP has engaged too much with people who live here and that is why he wants to leave?

Ko Chang .I had thought of living there before Chiang Mai .Too many mossies though .

Yes, and Malaria Carriers as well,hence the Treatment Post on the Island.

Yep, - - I caught it there. An hour after dark out on the porch of the bungalow has done the trick.

BEWARE!!

Philipines and Boracay.. friend of mine has been kite surfing there for last 2 winters, 5 months each time. He has been to Thailand. The only reason he spends his winters in Boracay is because the wind is good. If not for the wind he would spend winters in Thailand.

It makes no sense at all to compare a small tropical island resort to Pattaya. Most people would be bored to death in Boracay after a few days. If you want to make a fair comparison, compare Boracay to Ko Larn or Ko Samet or some other small island resort, because that is all Boracay is.

Here's the size comparison (approximate distances):

Ko Larn: Coastline: 12.9 km, Longest distance across: 4.7 km

Ko Samet: Coastline: 18.6 km, Longest distance across: 6.7 km

Boracay: Coastline: 20.32 km, Longest distance across: 6.9 km

I don't think many people who have become jaded with Pattaya would consider any of these islands as retirement options.

agreed tropo! just that Boracai was mentioned earlier in the thread.

When someone seriously considers moving to another counrty because 'I've Had It With Pattaya' I wonder if that person is completely giving up on civilization, life even. If searching for solitude and isolation, Boracay might just be it.

But before moving to another country, maybe OP should just move across the street from where he resides now. Or two streets further up? Pattaya can't be that bad that it makes a person move to Philpines or Cambodia or Vietnam, it must be something else, some unresolved conflict, depression, who knows. Myabe just take a trip to Hanoi and realize Pattaya is almost a paradise.

But before moving to another country, maybe OP should just move across the street from where he resides now. Or two streets further up? Pattaya can't be that bad that it makes a person move to Philpines or Cambodia or Vietnam, it must be something else, some unresolved conflict, depression, who knows. Myabe just take a trip to Hanoi and realize Pattaya is almost a paradise.

I agree with your theory 100%. It is unlikely these jaded residents will be happy anywhere. They're suffering from the "grass is greener" illusion.

agreed tropo! just that Boracai was mentioned earlier in the thread.

When someone seriously considers moving to another counrty because 'I've Had It With Pattaya' I wonder if that person is completely giving up on civilization, life even. If searching for solitude and isolation, Boracay might just be it.

Really, Hanoi is not that nice ? Isn't it known as the Paris of the East ? I had a couple of weeks in Ho Chi Minh last year and really enjoyed it and was going to try Ha Noi this year for a visit. Perhaps I will still go.

I've written in another thread that I re-located to Pattaya at the beginning of last year and have stayed here full-time since. In fact I spent 1/3 to 1/2 of the last year and half out of Thailand, visiting other countries in SE Asia. I spent most of that time in Indonesia, Bali and Jakarta. I like living in Thailand and particulalrly Pattaya, but I'm not sure I would like to be here 365 days of the year. The visa reg's for people under 50, the profusion of cheap flights nowadays and the availability of affordable accommodation in places like Vietnam, Jakarta, Bali and even Singapore, at a pinch, mean that we can have the best of both worlds and check-out the shade of green in the neighbours yard.

Simon

I've written in another thread that I re-located to Pattaya at the beginning of last year and have stayed here full-time since. In fact I spent 1/3 to 1/2 of the last year and half out of Thailand, visiting other countries in SE Asia. I spent most of that time in Indonesia, Bali and Jakarta. I like living in Thailand and particulalrly Pattaya, but I'm not sure I would like to be here 365 days of the year. The visa reg's for people under 50, the profusion of cheap flights nowadays and the availability of affordable accommodation in places like Vietnam, Jakarta, Bali and even Singapore, at a pinch, mean that we can have the best of both worlds and check-out the shade of green in the neighbours yard.

Simon

Sooner or later you'll tire of moving all over the place and those shades of green will start to bore you. When all that excitement is over you may want to choose a place to settle. That's when Pattaya becomes hard to beat.

I agree with your theory 100%. It is unlikely these jaded residents will be happy anywhere. They're suffering from the "grass is greener" illusion.

Isnt it strange that the jaded residents often mention the 3 countries listed above, never HK, Singapore, Japan or Korea.

If the truth be told most of the people who claim to be burnt out are probably suffering financially, two week millionaires, the 45 baht to the $ Johnny come latleys.

Inflation and exchange rates have now caught up with them, and their options are somewhat restricted by their income.

Why do you want leave Pattaya, what's bothers you here?

I am at Soi 1, on Beach Road, very quiet, not too many vendors, in hi-raise building, air is ok when you are at 20th floor. Nice view, no noise, close to major entertainment...

Seriously, you will not find anything close to Pattaya in term of food & entertainment choice in the world...

No not greener it is greener,.Never do I want to return to Pattaya. Long time since I was in Spain,but it beats anything,anything in Pattaya or Thailand generally. anyone doubting {living on a good pension} try it amazing,truly life after death

No not greener it is greener,.Never do I want to return to Pattaya. Long time since I was in Spain,but it beats anything,anything in Pattaya or Thailand generally. anyone doubting {living on a good pension} try it amazing,truly life after death

You're entitled to your opinion and to retire wherever you please. I enjoy living in Pattaya and rarely have any complaints. If I do find something I don't like, I merely adjust my attitude and bingo - it's fixed.

I'm really curious as to why you are posting in the Pattaya (Thailand) forum - 71 times since you joined just over a month ago? If you've found your little "paradise", why post here? Is it possible that in your heart you really miss Thailand and Pattaya.

I am sure you could be good friends with "Jori" as he was heading in that direction...:whistling:

Didn't you just write this the other day????

Not exactly Pattaya forum stuff,but here I am in Salou on my way down to Alicante,bloody freezing ,robbed of all that Iḿ worth by the bloody Euro.no boom boom or anything like it,. Still looking at buying tho in Alicante cannot remain bad forever. Christ Iĺl look on Pattaya in a different light on return

it beats indeed anything in Thailand!

Most foreigners will be considered Spanish tax resident if they were in the country for 183 or more days. They must complete a tax declaration including all their worldwide income unless their income is lower than the thresholds described below. Anyone becoming tax resident for the first time must file a tax declaration regardless of income levels.

Tax rate above €53.407 43% :bah:

can we now agree where to shove Spain? :whistling:

Edited by Naam

I am sure you could be good friends with "Jori" as he was heading in that direction...:whistling:

Not exactly Pattaya forum stuff,but here I am in Salou on my way down to Alicante,bloody freezing ,robbed of all that Iḿ worth by the bloody Euro.no boom boom or anything like it,. Still looking at buying tho in Alicante cannot remain bad forever. Christ Iĺl look on Pattaya in a different light on return

Sure I did, not looked in for a few days. Weather bad up north but now halfway down it is lovely,no boom boom for sure ,but plenty of women though. Not included the other post about tax but it is crap,totally and utter crap. The only bad thing here was the weather and the women, especially up north.

Carrefour here in Alicante is a fraction of Carrefour Pattaya,cheese, wines ,poultry,meats fresh and cooked are a fraction of those in Pattaya,Mini HP laptop last time Iooked in Patts 12500 baht,here 8500 baht,clothes ,cooking utentials,even fruit,virtually everything is getting so expensive there that its a bonus to get out of it and see just how expensive it is

House prices are a fraction here too ,all to do with the slump,good for me though,well built and are owned by the buyer .free full health care,excellent too, for over 65s,subsidised glasses ,free public transport,subsidised holidays to the Canary Islands,half price travel on railways,it goes on and on

There is nothing in Pattaya or elsewhere in Thailand to keep me there,it is a hopeless mess. If you are trapped by property that is a problem,no way out of that in a shifting enviroment,just so so glad I did not bite the bullet,and buy there. No way Jose to staying in Patts any further,got to return to do the final packing,but for you house owners there,hard luck

Viva La Espana! :rolleyes:

But that is why I like it!!, good pension required ,but those wonderful villas at a fraction of the crap in Pattaya,wonderful wines,wonderfu,l,just damned wonderful after the filthy dump of Pattaya .

You can have my things PM me and go and collect TGF too.

Cebu or Subic Bay or Boracay, Philippines. I just got back and those lovely Fipinos deserve all the good luck because they earn it. So friendly and welcoming. Absolutely NO bad attitude. Foreigners receive the welcome mat and everyone speaks English.

I thought Subic Bay was nicknamed Pubic Bay?

Did they clean up then?

But that is why I like it!!, good pension required ,but those wonderful villas at a fraction of the crap in Pattaya,wonderful wines,wonderfu,l,just damned wonderful after the filthy dump of Pattaya .

You can have my things PM me and go and collect TGF too.

I'm still waiting for you to explain why you are spending so much time in the Pattaya forum if you've moved on to Utopia in Spain. If you love Spain so much and hate Pattaya, give us all a break and find a good Spanish forum.

Your comment about wines is ridiculous. I can get great wines from everywhere in Pattaya.

Perhaps you miss Pattaya - would be my guess. If you don't already, you soon will.

Edited by tropo

Sure I did, not looked in for a few days. Weather bad up north but now halfway down it is lovely,no boom boom for sure ,but plenty of women though. Not included the other post about tax but it is crap,totally and utter crap. The only bad thing here was the weather and the women, especially up north.

Carrefour here in Alicante is a fraction of Carrefour Pattaya,cheese, wines ,poultry,meats fresh and cooked are a fraction of those in Pattaya,Mini HP laptop last time Iooked in Patts 12500 baht,here 8500 baht,clothes ,cooking utentials,even fruit,virtually everything is getting so expensive there that its a bonus to get out of it and see just how expensive it is

House prices are a fraction here too ,all to do with the slump,good for me though,well built and are owned by the buyer .free full health care,excellent too, for over 65s,subsidised glasses ,free public transport,subsidised holidays to the Canary Islands,half price travel on railways,it goes on and on

There is nothing in Pattaya or elsewhere in Thailand to keep me there,it is a hopeless mess. If you are trapped by property that is a problem,no way out of that in a shifting enviroment,just so so glad I did not bite the bullet,and buy there. No way Jose to staying in Patts any further,got to return to do the final packing,but for you house owners there,hard luck

The two posters who are giving you a hard time are heavily invested in Thailand and can't go anywhere, so they are stuck! The only thing they can do is attack any person who has found a better location. There are many excellent alternatives to Pattaya-Jomtien. But, like all places, it has its good points. The problem is that the bad points are increasing in number and magnitude.

[The two posters who are giving you a hard time are heavily invested in Thailand and can't go anywhere, so they are stuck!

What a load of crap. :rolleyes:

Well, given what you dish out, I have to respect your assessment of what it is :) It is not crap, it is simply an antidote to the "extreme" view that is based on the following assumptions:

"nothing is wrong,"

"the place is paradise,"

"you must be crazy to believe there are better places to live/retire,"

"you must not enjoy life if you do not like it here,"

"you must be some sort of failure or psychotic person to not love this place,"

"if you do not live in Thailand and are posting on ThaiVisa there is something wrong with you," etc. etc.

[The two posters who are giving you a hard time are heavily invested in Thailand and can't go anywhere, so they are stuck!

Why do you say that? Heavily invested might not just mean property or business. You might be married and have family here, so going elsewhwere is difficult

Just normal from that poster, he constantly bad mouth's Pattaya and it's people yet guess what......he's still here!!:lol: ,