NATO airstrike kills Gaddafi's son, grandchildren

News_Editor

NATO airstrike kills Gaddafi's son, grandchildren

2011-05-01 05:59:00 GMT+7 (ICT)

TRIPOLI (BNO NEWS) -- A NATO airstrike killed the youngest son of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi on Saturday evening, the BBC reported, adding that three of his grandchildren were also killed.

The BBC cited a government spokesman as saying that Saif al-Arab al-Gaddafi, 29, died when NATO planes bombarded the Tripoli building he and his family were in. Leader Muammar Gaddafi, who was also in the building, was not injured.

Few details about the airstrike were immediately available, but three unidentified grandchildren of Gaddafi were also killed, the BBC added. Other news outlets had similar reports.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-05-01

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Amazing .....killing grandchildren and others while telling the world " we are just enforcing a no fly zone." :bah:

The no fly zone will save more lives than it will cost lives. When NATO does not act it's wrong and when it does act................ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The no fly zone will save more lives than it will cost lives.

I do not see how a missile aimed at a residential building is in any way associated with a no fly zone.

An assassination attempt gone bad is more likely.

What will the result of this failed assassination now be? Martyrdom?

The no fly zone will save more lives than it will cost lives.

I do not see how a missile aimed at a residential building is in any way associated with a no fly zone.

An assassination attempt gone bad is more likely.

What will the result of this failed assassination now be? Martyrdom?

If it was a failed attempt how can it be Martyrdom?

[An assassination attempt gone bad is more likely.

I have no problem with assassinating this murdering scumbag, but denying that that is what we are trying to do just looks foolish.

Also, why didn't we do it when he supported terrorism and had a WMD program instead of when he has already been neutered? I don't get it. :blink:

Edited by Ulysses G.

If it was a failed attempt how can it be Martyrdom?

His son... as is already being reported around the world.

Just google the event

All that aside..........All these wrongs will never justify any rights gained.

Edited by flying

NATO commanders should now be charges with crimes against humanity.

Now Gaddaffi should also be charged with murder of children (his own grandchildren).

His actions made it justified and moral for NATO to attack, and now this is the result.

Actually, going by Gaddafi's history, he was probably using his own grandchildren as "human shields".

Edited by junkofdavid2

NATO commanders should now be charges with crimes against humanity.

Now Gaddaffi should also be charged with murder of children (his own grandchildren).

His actions made it justified and moral for NATO to attack, and now this is the result.

Actually, going by Gaddafi's history, he was probably using his own grandchildren as "human shields".

I've read some really strange and odd posts on this forum but congratulations, you take the cake.

So it wasn't a failed attempt then.

May you & yours never have to be subject to the same *rightful?* errors

We are talking about Libya here. A Country that has been involved in terrorism since the year dot. How can you be so sympathetic? Think about the 200+ people that were mercilessly blown out of the sky on Pan Am flight 103. What about their families?

I remember well driving up to Scotland one night, the motorway was blocked by what we later learned was debris from the Pan-Am flight blown up over Locherbie. Yes Gaddafi is a criminal with blood on his hands which should be remembered by those moralising about this assassination attempt. It does strike me though that this 'stategy' is little more than an attempt to effect regime change on a budget after the original ill-considered decision to intervene ran into complications which the participents had neither the resolve nor the resources allocated to see through to completion.

We are talking about Libya here. A Country that has been involved in terrorism since the year dot. How can you be so sympathetic? Think about the 200+ people that were mercilessly blown out of the sky on Pan Am flight 103. What about their families?

LOL, that was 25 years ago.

This NATO action of "protecting civilians" is just an excuse for imperialism.

And how exactly does Libya magically become a better place if Qaddafi goes?

Is everyone in the west going to welcome the Benghazi-based rebels? Cuz the rebels don't seem strong enough to enforce stability even if they win.

LOL, that was 25 years ago.

This NATO action of "protecting civilians" is just an excuse for imperialism.

And how exactly does Libya magically become a better place if Qaddafi goes?

Is everyone in the west going to welcome the Benghazi-based rebels? Cuz the rebels don't seem strong enough to enforce stability even if they win.

LOL ??? what's so funny about a bomb on a plane? I gave an example of a terrorist act committed by Gadaffi and if you care to Google there are many more involving his own people. This NATO offensive has been backed by the Arab league, so is legal. How many lives had Gadaafi been responsible for during his reign of terror?

Sorry but I am not speaking about Libya here I am speaking about the loss of human life.

Yes I would also be sympathetic towards folks on a flight or folks needlessly killed by unprovoked attacks anywhere

This eye for an eye mentality that you exhibit will leave the whole world blind....if not already blinded judging by recent events.

Do you think these sort of events make you safer? If so let me say I think the opposite

Edited by flying

Another case of "the west" intervening without having a thought out gameplan. Then you get politicians (well, at least some lib dem bird mp on student question time) saying the Libyan people should decide the final state and how they're not trying to determine the outcome - do they know for sure that the majority of Libyans want the government out because once they kill Gaddafi they have already determined one outcome?!

We should have left well alone, however difficult to look on whilst they kill each other...but we never learn from history.

Those calling this a war crime would do well to read the legal definition of a war crime. The target was a legitimate target. The compound was used as a military headquarters. From this location Col. Gaddaffi and his sons gave speeches, managed their military campaign and took refuge. Saif was a legitimate target because he was actively involved in waging war on the Libyan people.. If the Gaddaffis wished to surround themselves with their families in the hopes that this would shield them from the airstrikes, then they miscalculated. It is the Gaddaffis that brought their own family member's deaths by using human shields.

The event reminds me of the film Downfall. The film segments are available on Youtube.

Sorry but I am not speaking about Libya here I am speaking about the loss of human life.

Yes I would also be sympathetic towards folks on a flight or folks needlessly killed by unprovoked attacks anywhere

This eye for an eye mentality that you exhibit will leave the whole world blind....if not already blinded judging by recent events.

Do you think these sort of events make you safer? If so let me say I think the opposite

If Gadaffi thought so much about his people and humanity he should have accepted the ceasefire and gone down the negotiation route. He did not do this so this is the result and he is responsible for his actions. Me feeling safer has nothing to do with it, but I am glad that the West is at last 'showing it's teeth' instead of living in fear of these random terrorist attacks. 911, London and Madrid train bombs etc. Maybe not planned by Gadaffi, but we never know do we.

If Gadaffi thought so much about his people and humanity he should have accepted the ceasefire and gone down the negotiation route. He did not do this so this is the result and he is responsible for his actions. Me feeling safer has nothing to do with it, but I am glad that the West is at last 'showing it's teeth' instead of living in fear of these random terrorist attacks. 911, London and Madrid train bombs etc. Maybe not planned by Gadaffi, but we never know do we.

The strike that Libya said had killed Saif al-Arab Gaddafi came less than a day after a speech by his father was broadcast on state TV, in which Col Gaddafi called for a ceasefire and negotiations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13251570

RIP to the children. They were probably being brought up under the parents/grandparents influence. As mentioned why expose family to your presence when you have to be aware of your being a target to various groups. Gaddafi may want to review the last months of Saddam and his sons, bit late, and there is probably more to come.