All Female Hostel Rooms At Phuket R N' R Music Cafe & Hostel

ricknroll

Sure Rick is not the cheapest option. But in general backpacker hostels are more expensive than the typical downmarket hotel in the provincial town main street, where for about the same price or less you at least have a private room with ensuite bathroom. Added value for the backpacker is that the hostel gives them the chance to meet other backpackers. A very big part of the backpacking experience is socializing with exotic folks like Canadians and Italians.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In theory its a great idea.

From a business standpoint it is very bad idea.

All the money spent on renovations it will take at least 10 years to break even on the investment.

All the money spent on renovations it will take at least 10 years to break even on the investment.

How can you make a comment like this?

You have not seen the business plan, you have no idea on the rents, the bills, amounts paid for renovations/decoration etc.Plus there's the additional business generated in the bar/restaurant.

There are other dorm operations in Phuket that make money and there is no reason to believe that Rick's operation will not do the same.

Travellers generally know that you get what you pay for, and remember, as a hostel/guesthouse/hotel owner, you also get guests that reflect your pricing. Someone paying 350 baht per night is more likely to spend something in the bar/restaurant. A backpacker paying 200 baht or less per night will more likely buy her drinks in the 7-Eleven and eat at a noodle stall.

I am in the business so hopefully know what I am talking about.

Yeah, at the smelly old Lucky Guesthouse where you literally share your rooms with the cockroaches, get your kit nicked, and where you are free to sit in the sparsely decorated lobby with the bitter non-English speaking staff and watch Thai soaps on the 19 inch color tv. lol.

Hilarious SB ! I stayed there in 91 and then again in 92, fan room 200thb haven't been there since as that was the end of the "backpacker" days for grumpy. It was pretty clean then.............

I would say all girls hostel is an good idea, provided it's good quality. Even if the price is a bit higher. Why?

1) Backpacking can be tiering after an while. There is a place for pampering. Heck, I still remember the few hot shower places while I backpacked in South- and Central America.

2) Girls can bond to each other and find new friends.

3) This place has an bar likely filled with girls from the hostel.. if you have honey, there will be the bees as well. Sounds like an good receipt for an place of life.

Rick: How many customers ask for TV? Would it be possible to skip the stupidbox altogether and use the TV-area as relax and meetup room? Some quiet Enya style music. Information about Phuket's and surrounding areas best attractions on the walls. Couple of hidden secrets added. At least for me, the best hostels were without TV. Just a place to meetup share information with each other. Few hammocks call for relaxation as well.

So far the guests spend very little time in the rooms and do enjoy the plush Sofa and 42 inch Flat Screen TV downstairs in the Bar... There are outdoor Cabanas were they like to chill out.

Hammocks are a great Idea... I was thinking of putting a private sun deck on the roof with a small bar hammocks and jacuzzi...Let's see how this goes first. Thanks for the great Idea.

RickNRoll_Cabana.jpg

Edited by ricknroll

How can you make a comment like this?

You have not seen the business plan, you have no idea on the rents, the bills, amounts paid for renovations/decoration etc.Plus there's the additional business generated in the bar/restaurant.

There are other dorm operations in Phuket that make money and there is no reason to believe that Rick's operation will not do the same.

Travellers generally know that you get what you pay for, and remember, as a hostel/guesthouse/hotel owner, you also get guests that reflect your pricing. Someone paying 350 baht per night is more likely to spend something in the bar/restaurant. A backpacker paying 200 baht or less per night will more likely buy her drinks in the 7-Eleven and eat at a noodle stall.

I am in the business so hopefully know what I am talking about.

Madmitch, if you are REALLY in the business, you would know that all backpackers are extremely "Cheap Charlie." Over a 6 month backpacking trip around South East Asia, if you can save 20 baht here, $1US there, you can extend your trip by weeks, and that is what they aim to do. Go as far, and for as long as they can, on their money.

Rick, I wish you the best of luck with the hostel. However, some of the comments above are true. Your margins will be extremely tight.

Backpackers WILL buy their alcohol from 7/11 and drink it in the common room together. They WILL eat the 2 minute noodles from 7/11 for dinner or eat off the street vendors. They WILL steal your toilet rolls and put them in their backpacks. They WILL steal a pillow case and use it as a laundry bag or sweat rag on their travels. They WILL leave the air-con on 24/7. There are many other things to consider when your customers are low budget tourists.

You have to be creative on how to get them to part with their cash. One suggestion is to make a "Backpackers Bucket" in your bar as a cheap alcoholic drink for them, or, a "Backpackers Shot" etc etc - you get the idea. The same with food. Make a big pot of whatever you need to get rid of out of the kitchen that day and make it your "Backpacker Special" meal on the menu. Obviously, these must be cheap. Like I said, your margins will be tight.

Madmitch may be talking about what they call, "flashpackers." These are backpackers that have more money than your typical backpacker. They are usually a little older and have thrown in their job, sold their car etc, for 6 to 12 months adventure travel. Your pricing/marketing/advertising will dictate whether your customers will be backpackers or flashpackers, but, take it from me, your typical young backpacker looks to save every single baht, so, do not rely on the bar/resturant to turn a small loss on your "beds" into a profit for the business as a whole.

I was thinking of putting a private sun deck on the roof with a small bar hammocks and jacuzzi...Let's see how this goes first. Thanks for the great Idea.

Oh man, you add a Jacuzzi and you'll see a lot more of me. Hard to find in Thailand. Hilltop Hotels is permanently "broken." :)

Can anybody give a clear cut definition of the word "backpacker"? For me personally,a backpacker is somebody who hits the road for several months, going to a number of countries. But nowadays also people who are on a 3 weeks holiday and visit a number of places just in Thailand refer to themselves as backpackers. So I guess my definition is outdated.

My experience as an accomodation provider is that these backpackers as far as economizing is concerned are focussed on just one thing, and that is the price of the room. It happened quite a few times they went to great lengths trying to knock me down a bit for a room that was already cheap , after which they went to a diving school to shell out a small fortune for a liveaboard. Or, after having finally accepted my room , they pleasantly surprised me by spending a lot of money in my restaurant/bar.

It is not only Backpackers that want to save a Satang i had a Guesthouse from 2007 for three years and come to the conclusion that Phuket is full of cheap charlies you think they worry about your overheads, it sounds that Rick has a good plan but will it work only time will tell one of the problems he will have there is many new small hotels and guesthouse have opened up in Patong etc who are giving very cheap prices in the low season and hope to recover in the high season and then realise they where too cheap just have a look in the Phuket Gazette and you can see how many are there for Sale or rent now and i dont see much change in the future but of course there is places that will make a living so good luck to him it looks like he is having a good try at it.

It is not only Backpackers that want to save a Satang i had a Guesthouse from 2007 for three years and come to the conclusion that Phuket is full of cheap charlies you think they worry about your overheads, it sounds that Rick has a good plan but will it work only time will tell one of the problems he will have there is many new small hotels and guesthouse have opened up in Patong etc who are giving very cheap prices in the low season and hope to recover in the high season and then realise they where too cheap just have a look in the Phuket Gazette and you can see how many are there for Sale or rent now and i dont see much change in the future but of course there is places that will make a living so good luck to him it looks like he is having a good try at it.

I agree, I have been coming to Phuket for 13 years started business here over 8 years ago and if I wasn't knee deep I would rethink the whole stargedy ... However, I have personally met great people at Rick N' Roll and believe me they tell all about their nightmares and their dreams. They seem to like our concept of a Flashpackers Club Med type hostel on a budget. We can not be compared to a hotel room because we provide clean secure boutique accommodation, Tour Service with a Locals Honest Advice, Great Cocktails, Thai Food. Tex Mex & Western BBQ and most off all Entertainment. I do realize we are in low season however, we might as well attempt to have fun with our tourist like the Club Med Team...Only time will tell.

RNROLLADVERT_Web.jpg

Hmmmmm......do backpackers typically splash out 170 Bt for a "great cocktail"?

No, they don't. As you can see in the above photo, they are drinking Leo beer. The cheapest beer.

In order for the hostel to be profitable, you have to have the "cheap price - high turn over" business model. In other words, it's better to sell 100 Leo beers at 10 baht profit than 40 Heineken beers at 20 baht profit. This is why Rick should be putting as many bunk beds in each room as possible. You need the cheap price but with a high turn over.

Madmitch, if you are REALLY in the business, you would know that all backpackers are extremely "Cheap Charlie." Over a 6 month backpacking trip around South East Asia, if you can save 20 baht here, $1US there, you can extend your trip by weeks, and that is what they aim to do. Go as far, and for as long as they can, on their money.

Madmitch may be talking about what they call, "flashpackers." These are backpackers that have more money than your typical backpacker. They are usually a little older and have thrown in their job, sold their car etc, for 6 to 12 months adventure travel. Your pricing/marketing/advertising will dictate whether your customers will be backpackers or flashpackers, but, take it from me, your typical young backpacker looks to save every single baht, so, do not rely on the bar/resturant to turn a small loss on your "beds" into a profit for the business as a whole.

I can't argue with your comments at all. Many of my customers are backpackers (in low season a very high percentage) yet several take a private room rather than a dorm bed because they can afford it. Many save money on accommodation but still spend money on booze in particular. Some can afford a better room but prefer a dorm bed because it's the best way to meet people. But in general, you're right; most young backpackers are real Cheap Charlies.

There's a hostel in Patong (I won't name it) that has been pretty successful, I believe. The target market is the 'flashpacker'. His arty style bar does very good business from them as well. The business is out there.

Edited by madmitch

Hmmmmm......do backpackers typically splash out 170 Bt for a "great cocktail"?

You can see by my web site you that you can even buy a Margarita Cocktail & get a FREE refill at: Phuket RNR Hostel.com

Free_Lime_Margarita_Refill.jpg

Ladies Night Every Night Promotions as you can see by this sign board and this is after Happy Hour has finished ;)

web8.jpg

Just check out the web site and you will see 50 Baht Leo Happy Hours Plus Plus.

All my New Thai Visa Buddies should come by and see for yourselves :drunk:

Edited by ricknroll

I agree, I have been coming to Phuket for 13 years started business here over 8 years ago and if I wasn't knee deep I would rethink the whole stargedy ... However, I have personally met great people at Rick N' Roll and believe me they tell all about their nightmares and their dreams. They seem to like our concept of a Flashpackers Club Med type hostel on a budget. We can not be compared to a hotel room because we provide clean secure boutique accommodation, Tour Service with a Locals Honest Advice, Great Cocktails, Thai Food. Tex Mex & Western BBQ and most off all Entertainment. I do realize we are in low season however, we might as well attempt to have fun with our tourist like the Club Med Team...Only time will tell.

RNROLLADVERT_Web.jpg

Do I spot a TV member in this photo?

I don't know you personally Rick, as a lot of people seem to, but I admire your work ethic. So many people expect just to sit back and watch the money roll in. This isn't the case anywhere in the world anymore, and certainly not Phuket. You however, seem to be constantly at it, trying to change things and make things happen. I believe your business falls in to the minority of businesses on Phuket, that will br around for as long as you want tit to be.

As for the female dorm?? The jury's out for me. I think it would be a great idea at a different location, but being part of you restaurant set up, seems a bit of a contridiction. You have a reasonably high end establishment downstairs, but are catering to poeple on a budget upstairs. would have thought just a couple of expensive rooms would fit the overall image better. I'm also a bit confused by the combination of budget hostel and all the gadgets and gizmos, flat screens TV's etc. It seems as if it's having an identity crisis, neither one thing or the other.

Having said that. There is no question that women will seek out a place, where they will be free from all the leering, annoying pervs. Somewhere they can relax, feel safe and comfortable, in the presence of other woman and meet new friends. It kind of brings to mind a grown up slumber party! This attraction may well be enough to make it a very well known place on the island once word gets around. If it doesn't work, I'm sure you will just adapt, move on and try something elses, good luck with it.

@ SB. I understand you two are friends, but Rick is a big boy, I don't think you need to come jumping to his rescuse every time he gets a negative comment. If you come on to a forum like this, you have to take everything that's thrown at you, Rick knows that, and I'm sure he can take it on the chin without your knight in shining armour routine.

I don't know you personally Rick, as a lot of people seem to, but I admire your work ethic. So many people expect just to sit back and watch the money roll in. This isn't the case anywhere in the world anymore, and certainly not Phuket. You however, seem to be constantly at it, trying to change things and make things happen. I believe your business falls in to the minority of businesses on Phuket, that will br around for as long as you want tit to be.

As for the female dorm?? The jury's out for me. I think it would be a great idea at a different location, but being part of you restaurant set up, seems a bit of a contridiction. You have a reasonably high end establishment downstairs, but are catering to poeple on a budget upstairs. would have thought just a couple of expensive rooms would fit the overall image better. I'm also a bit confused by the combination of budget hostel and all the gadgets and gizmos, flat screens TV's etc. It seems as if it's having an identity crisis, neither one thing or the other.

Having said that. There is no question that women will seek out a place, where they will be free from all the leering, annoying pervs. Somewhere they can relax, feel safe and comfortable, in the presence of other woman and meet new friends. It kind of brings to mind a grown up slumber party! This attraction may well be enough to make it a very well known place on the island once word gets around. If it doesn't work, I'm sure you will just adapt, move on and try something elses, good luck with it.

@ SB. I understand you two are friends, but Rick is a big boy, I don't think you need to come jumping to his rescuse every time he gets a negative comment. If you come on to a forum like this, you have to take everything that's thrown at you, Rick knows that, and I'm sure he can take it on the chin without your knight in shining armour routine.

Thanks BangTaoBoy, I agree and that is why I will target what is called the flashpaker market..., I personally like to go were there is a vibe and things are happening and gladly will pay the difference when I am traveling... We will target people that literally want a FUN SLUMBER PARTY ( great expression...Thanks ) rather than just a budgeted pit stop... As mentioned before our guests will get what they pay for and I hope more. This of course will take time and patience to target and touch that market for those that want to meet & make new friend.. This is a destination for those that need a " Social Soul Travelers...Solution". Link for: Social Soul Travelers

Edited by ricknroll

I know I went crazy on this TV area and the entire Restaurant / Bar / Hostel.... However, It is awesome and I am sure the guest will appreciate it 100%

RnRTVArea.jpg

Plus we have great food!

Quan_Food_web.jpg

I know I went crazy on this TV area and the entire Restaurant / Bar / Hostel.... However, It is awesome and I am sure the guest will appreciate it 100%

RnRTVArea.jpg

Plus we have great food!

Quan_Food_web.jpg

Nice common room Rick but, in my experience, a bit inappropriate for the customers you are targeting.

Firstly, picture 10 extremely drunk 19 or 20 year old backpackers in your common room. Those nice speakers will not last very long. They will be bumped, knocked over etc etc. Hang them up on the wall, well out of reach.

The bongo drums - get rid of them. A drunken backpacker will want to play them at 3am, while there are other, sobber, backpackers trying to sleep because they have a day trip on the next day. They will cause fights, plus, they will be broken. The same goes for the two small guitars.

The T-Shirt on the wall will be stolen - not out of need, but some drunk backpacker will think it is funny to "liberate" it as a souvenir.

I don't know if you allow smoking in the common room but, if you do, that nice new lounge is going to get holes burnt in it. Also, make sure that coffee table will be able to hold the weight of people putting their feet on it.

You have to remember, you are dealing with "schoolkids" who are drunk, have no respect for you, or your premises.

I know you are targeting "the flashpacker" but a flashpacker will pay 150 baht more for their own room, so, I think you will end up with "the backpacker" so becarefull when spending a lot on nice equipment/facilities for them.

Edited by KhunHeineken

Plus we have great food!

Nice common room Rick but, in my experience, a bit inappropriate for the customers you are targeting.

Firstly, picture 10 extremely drunk 19 or 20 year old backpackers in your common room. Those nice speakers will not last very long. They will be bumped, knocked over etc etc. Hang them up on the wall, well out of reach.

The bongo drums - get rid of them. A drunken backpacker will want to play them at 3am, while there are other, sobber, backpackers trying to sleep because they have a day trip on the next day. They will cause fights, plus, they will be broken. The same goes for the two small guitars.

The T-Shirt on the wall will be stolen - not out of need, but some drunk backpacker will think it is funny to "liberate" it as a souvenir.

I don't know if you allow smoking in the common room but, if you do, that nice new lounge is going to get holes burnt in it. Also, make sure that coffee table will be able to hold the weight of people putting their feet on it.

You have to remember, you are dealing with "schoolkids" who are drunk, have no respect for you, or your premises.

I know you are targeting "the flashpacker" but a flashpacker will pay 150 baht more for their own room, so, I think you will end up with "the backpacker" so becarefull when spending a lot on nice equipment/facilities for them.

That is a very good post. Anything you do in life, it's a dangerous game, automatically assuming you will be dealing with nice, normal people. The law of averages says otherwise. It would be an idea to always look at things from the worst case scenario as 'KhunHeineken' has, and then hope you don't get too much of it.

I was there Friday night and the place looks great and the food was ok.

But.......

In any business, just because you work hard and spend more money than everyone else does not make you successful. You can work 24/7 but if you have no experience and no idea what you are doing you will Fail.

Pouring money into a business that does not make a profit is like using chewing gum to plug the hole in the Titanic!

I was there Friday night and the place looks great and the food was ok.

But.......

In any business, just because you work hard and spend more money than everyone else does not make you successful. You can work 24/7 but if you have no experience and no idea what you are doing you will Fail.

Pouring money into a business that does not make a profit is like using chewing gum to plug the hole in the Titanic!

I agree that Rick N' Roll's Restaurant, Bar and Hostel has many more amenities than most and and that investment needs to be monitored and cared for... However, It should help the overall reputation of the entire business and that is a step in the right direction.

There are no formulas in Thailand that are 100% full proof... I would hope that by becoming a sponsor of Thai Visa and posting our Events, Parties and Hostel Info has created an awareness of who we are and what we hope to do in the near future.

Sponsoring Thai Visa has however, helped us make new friends and that in itself has true value.

Please say hello next time you stop in... It would be nice to meet you in person.

TV_SOFA_LOUNGE.jpg

Edited by ricknroll

I was there a couple weeks ago, and was talking with some girls that loved the idea, and were going to check out of their hotel and relocate to Rick N Rolls.

I don't understand all the negativity about the place, 350 baht is not an absurd amount and the place looks great.

All I can say is good luck Rick, I hope it all works out for you.

And see you in the future for more of your "Sticky Fingers" shooters.

I was there a couple weeks ago, and was talking with some girls that loved the idea, and were going to check out of their hotel and relocate to Rick N Rolls.

I don't understand all the negativity about the place, 350 baht is not an absurd amount and the place looks great.

All I can say is good luck Rick, I hope it all works out for you.

And see you in the future for more of your "Sticky Fingers" shooters.

Thanks BaliHai,

We are enjoying our Hostel, Restaurant and Bar. It will be no gold mine ...However, It is a way to work through and appreciate the low season of Thailand.

If you had our Sticky Finger Shooters then for sure we had a good time with you.

I am sure you and our guests understand that we respect the Thai Buddha Holidays and that is why we will be closed until Wednesday afternoon... There is a sign posted out front and we hope our friends and customers can appreciate we will using this down time to upgrade Rick N' Roll and the Hostels.

Don't forget Taco Tuesdays and because of the Holiday... we will move it to Thursday night this week. Plus, Wednesday Night we have Party Night Specials ;)

Thank you for the positive and kind comment and we do hope to see you soon for more Sticky Fingers !