True 3G

monty

Passed all main fixed line internet providers, and none can supply (full, wait 2 months etc).

And with AIS Edge gone down the drain last week, Dtac hardly better, decided to go for true 3G.

True confirmed that at my location I should get close to full signal strength and good service.

Now I'm trying the thing out (after splashing 2,000 Baht on their 3G modem), and should it be a surprise that it is hardly better then Edge????????

I'm hoping I'm doing something wrong, but wouldn't know what. The thing registers on the 3G network (blue light on, and the signal strength says 98% WCDMA).

Then when I want to connect I have to hit the connect button around 60 times (everytime I get "the remote party ended the connection"), then suddenly it connects.

The indicator then starts going up and down, between 30 and 98%, sometimes the thing seems to lose signal altogether, sometimes it stays on for a few minutes.

Sometimes it indicates WCDMA, sometimes HSPA, sometimes HSUPA. Flicks around all the time...

The only thing much better seems to be latency, down from 3000 msec+ to a mere 160 msec (Singapore)

Speeds slightly higher then on Edge.

Last Result:

Download Speed: 227 kbps (28.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 79 kbps (9.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 164 ms

Sunday, May 01, 2011 9:07:21 PM

Maybe I'll try a USB extension cable (don't have one handy), because the thing also seems to be so power hungry that it will not work on the front USB ports of my PC (same as my external drive, all the other USB stuff works just fine from the front ports)

Monty, I think there is a problem with True's 3G network today in Pattaya. I've been staying in Jomtien the past several days, and I've been using True 3G via my iPhone, WiFi-tethered to my notebook. The first couple days I was getting between 2 to 3 Mbps download. Today, I've been pretty much only getting .5 to 1 Mbps download. Just now (940pm, Sunday) I did a couple speedtest.net tests to Singapore and while latency was around 100ms, downloads were around .7 to .8 Mbps, and the upload test wouldn't even complete.

Were your existing modems not compatible?

Having to click on the 'Connect' button multiple time is not usual. Connected first time for me, though I was on Beach Road.

I wasn't overly impressed with the speed, I received closer to 1MBps. I was hoping for double that.

Any improvement since your first test?

In this post, 4evermaat mentions success by selecting "WCDMA Only" for the network and "WDCDMA 850" for the band.

IME, when the indicator changes from 3G to H, or WCDMA to HSxPA that means the modem is negotiating with the serving base-station, and perhaps owing to capacity issues at that moment, it defaults to 2G, EDGE in your case.

If possible I would try the modem in a known good location to verify that it is working properly.

Edited to add: I did just notice my network indicator changing between "3G" and "H". Maybe True blasted a network update and it is causing issues? I have to say though my performance seems fine.

post-9615-0-62563600-1304262657_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

Think I have all the settings correct.

WCDMA only, fixed on the 850 Mhz band.

At these settings it doesn't use GSM (gprs/Edge).

It keeps on switching between WCDMA, HSPA and HSUPA.

Signal strength is 97% when on WCDMA, around 38% when on HSPA, and the few times it switches to HSUPA it only lasts a few seconds, after which it'll revert to WCDMA.

Doing speed tests while it's on WCDMA looks like this one gets around 280 kbps (rather stable), and on hspa it gets about 0,5 Mbps, but so variably up and down that the average ends up being around 0,3 Mbps.

I hope it's a signal strength issue and i hope I can get it resolved by using a USB extension cable. The modem is jammed between the wall and PC while plugged into one of the back USB ports! Not exactly perfect!

Were your existing modems not compatible?

Having to click on the 'Connect' button multiple time is not usual. Connected first time for me, though I was on Beach Road.

I wasn't overly impressed with the speed, I received closer to 1MBps. I was hoping for double that.

Any improvement since your first test?

No, I have some older HTC PDA used in tethering mode doing only Edge.

No improvements on speed, downloaded a 16 Mb large file using a download manager (8 concurrent connections) and averaged about 31 kBps (just under 300 kbps). Faster the Edge which peaks at about 280 kbps and averages maybe 180 kbps, but obviously was hoping much more, like 1 mbps plus!

Some observations though:

Latency is much better then when on Edge, between 100 and 300 msec, which is quite good for a mobile connection regardless of speed!

I tried skype, and surprisingly sound quality was quite good, not perfect, but very usable!

1276703690.png

post-4701-0-16997500-1304262675_thumb.jp

post-4701-0-47002700-1304262702_thumb.jp

post-4701-0-32548800-1304262725_thumb.jp

Seems like it is slowly improving.

Obviously, having a gazillion Bangkokians in Pattaya for the long weekend is not helping either!

Getting around 0,5 Mbps now, quite stable, downloading from Microsoft US.

post-4701-0-57859000-1304265041_thumb.jp

Also, when the connection is idling, it keeps switching between wcdma and hspa, but once doing a big download it stays on hspa...

After re-reading your posts it seems like the location of your modem is causing the bulk of your issues. I'd try the modem, if possible, in a location more open, and closer to a window/door just to see if performs better.

When idle the device will fall back to 2G, or if not available due to settings (WCDMA-only), 3G/WCDMA then when transferring data it will ramp up to HS(U/D)PA.

I would suggest you take your computer (With modem) to a True Coffee shop (Or a place where you think the True 3G would be at its best) and test your hardware setup there to confirm that you are setup correctly. This can give you a basemark of the highest speed you can get with your hardware and remove the hardware as an issue - then go home and address reception issues...

I would suggest you take your computer (With modem) to a True Coffee shop (Or a place where you think the True 3G would be at its best) and test your hardware setup there to confirm that you are setup correctly. This can give you a basemark of the highest speed you can get with your hardware and remove the hardware as an issue - then go home and address reception issues...

Not much use if he's using a PC. :)

What 3G package are you using? The 349 baht/750MB monthly package?

I think we are assuming the OP might have a notebook, or friends with a notebook, which could be borrowed for a brief test? Perhaps even in his current domicile? (Anything to get it from being buried behind his PC.) If not I'd submit that you could take the aircard/modem with SIM to a known-good 3G True shop and try it on one of their PC's, just to verify the HW is sound? sfokevin and I probably think to linearly, trying to eliminate variables to arrive at solution?

Time for an update!

Bought a 5 meter USB extension cable, and now have the modem up my attic :)

Signal strength while the indicator says WCDMA is 98%.

Signal strength while it says HSPA is between 50 and 60% (3 out of 5 bars). Up from 30% when the dongle was plugged directly in my PC.

It sometimes indicates HSUPA for a few seconds, but never HSDPA.

Speeds are better now, but nothing brilliant.

1278007785.png

Upload is pretty good, but I'm nowhere getting close to 1 Mbps down yet.

Kind of looks this is the best it'll get in my location...

Indeed as Lomatopo mentions, when idling it sits on WCDMA, but when in use it goes to HSPA. Although it sometimes flicks back to WCDMA during a download, resulting in a few seconds no data transfer, then back to HSPA.

I'm on the 699 3GB package, not sure why anybody would bother with less, unless using a PDA...

I'm on 180 Mb up/down combined in just 2 days, with just an hour in the morning and 3 hours in the evening. Few small test downloads and some speed test, all the rest just regular surfing!

With the odd download I'll have to pace myself not to breach my quota! o.o1 Baht/kB is still 10 Baht/Mb or 1000 Baht per 100 Mb I might go over!

Don't forget, nowadays your average youtube clip (of the maximum allowed 10 minutes) already eats between 40 and 60 MB!!! And I only get 100 Mb/day :(

Maybe just as well it ain't that fast for me :)

Time for an update!

Signal strength while the indicator says WCDMA is 98%.

Signal strength while it says HSPA is between 50 and 60% (3 out of 5 bars). Up from 30% when the dongle was plugged directly in my PC.

It sometimes indicates HSUPA for a few seconds, but never HSDPA.

Speeds are better now, but nothing brilliant.

1278007785.png

Upload is pretty good, but I'm nowhere getting close to 1 Mbps down yet.

Kind of looks this is the best it'll get in my location...

Indeed as Lomatopo mentions, when idling it sits on WCDMA, but when in use it goes to HSPA. Although it sometimes flicks back to WCDMA during a download, resulting in a few seconds no data transfer, then back to HSPA.

I'm on the 699 3GB package, not sure why anybody would bother with less, unless using a PDA...

I'm on 180 Mb up/down combined in just 2 days, with just an hour in the morning and 3 hours in the evening. Few small test downloads and some speed test, all the rest just regular surfing!

With the odd download I'll have to pace myself not to breach my quota! o.o1 Baht/kB is still 10 Baht/Mb or 1000 Baht per 100 Mb I might go over!

Don't forget, nowadays your average youtube clip (of the maximum allowed 10 minutes) already eats between 40 and 60 MB!!! And I only get 100 Mb/day :(

Maybe just as well it ain't that fast for me :)

Just keep an eye on your statistics. If you reach the 3GB limit too soon; Pop into a 7/11 or Family Mart and get an InterSIM for 49 baht and apply a package to it. If you are well over then perhaps the 500MB+500MB package(1GB). Just cancel the package after 3 months and then get a new SIM and begin again....or just get another package to suit.

I think we are assuming the OP might have a notebook, or friends with a notebook, which could be borrowed for a brief test? Perhaps even in his current domicile? (Anything to get it from being buried behind his PC.) If not I'd submit that you could take the aircard/modem with SIM to a known-good 3G True shop and try it on one of their PC's, just to verify the HW is sound? sfokevin and I probably think to linearly, trying to eliminate variables to arrive at solution?

Have you ever seen a PC in a TRUE shop?? Taking someone else's laptop may eliminate any problems with the modem itself, though you will still have a few variables to study. I initially took my Netbook to the TRUE Shop. They were truly useless. :) Luckily I had some idea of what I needed to do. Speeds were quite variable at their location. But 1MB was acheivable. That was sometime ago and I think that they are working on improving the network.

You're not limited to 15 hours! If you go for the volume based packages, you can be online 24/7 if you wish, you only have to make sure you stay within your allowed amount of data transfer...

I pay 699 (+7%vat) for 3 Gb data.

In this post, 4evermaat mentions success by selecting "WCDMA Only" for the network and "WDCDMA 850" for the band.

IME, when the indicator changes from 3G to H, or WCDMA to HSxPA that means the modem is negotiating with the serving base-station, and perhaps owing to capacity issues at that moment, it defaults to 2G, EDGE in your case.

If possible I would try the modem in a known good location to verify that it is working properly.

Edited to add: I did just notice my network indicator changing between "3G" and "H". Maybe True blasted a network update and it is causing issues? I have to say though my performance seems fine.

I'm a superstar :lol:. But the switching of different 3g networks explanation hopefully true will find solution. It does not make sense for a strong signal to suddenly disappear on a stationary connection.

Time for an update!

The USB extension cable is a must. 5 meters is a bit much, but whatever does the job. There are usually sweetspots in a room or wherever you are that can maximize coverage. In the USA, years ago I purchased two usb sticks for Sprint and they both came with thick 12-24" USB extension cable. This serves dual purpose

1) not crowd your usb ports, which may be close together. The thickness of usb stick can overshadow other ports.

2) ability to find the best spots. 3 - 5 meters certainly would assist you in doing this. But 1 meter should be plenty.

I broke down and bought the extension cord, 5 meters. Much easier to negotiate

The only apparently unavoidable annoyance is when it switches to several different 3g networks in the same stationary position. Wong Wen Yai. In an apartment building, 2nd floor middle apt building. There is no way to force a certain 3g mode only or hand-pick a certain connection. I guess that would be a little more technical for the consumer crowd. Just something that I'll have to work through.

How do you test the signal strength to find a sweet spot in a room?

I have a AIS router and a "Air card" USB dongle.

The same basic truth will apply. You take the dongle connected to the computer and just move it around the room and pause for 5-15 seconds on each move and look at the light on USB dongle and the signal strength showing up on the laptop connection software.

the usb extension cable really comes in handy for this.