Buying A New Smartphone... Help!

Hello to all,

I've been living in Thailand for nearly a year now and it's finally hit me that having a smartphone with a nice camera would save on me forgetting to take pictures to send to friends and family back home. Until now I've been using a fairly old LG phone which I'm keen to change.

So I hit MBK over the weekend after a bit of research online and found that, really, it's not the best idea to ask a phone seller about any of their phones, since they just want to sell you anything you pick up. I've looked online but that's just too confusing, every phone I've looked at has it's fair share of 'OMG IT'S AMAZING!!!' to 'Don't buy it, breaks down every day and won't work after a month' comments. Honestly, I need some help.

What I need is a good phone that won't cost the earth. The most important elements are thus: A good quality camera with a GOOD flash, not just a light that stays on. Good quality video, preferably HD, and a good solid operating system (I'm favouring Android). I was keen on the Nokia N8 - which would be around the top of my budget, but it seems to have too many problems and glitches and I'm put off. I looked at the HTC Desire HD, but it's just too big. So I'm thinking something similar to those - with a good camera for on the fly snaps and a good flash for night time shots. Of course, the OS is important, and I'd like a nice phone to use.

Thanks for your help,

David

What is your budget?

You say the OS is important, why and which OS do you require? (You mention the N8, which is not Android, hence confusion.)

Why do you need a smartphone? It seems like most of your requirements are for a camera. Could not get a good camera and email pics/videos? I assume you have a phone for calls now?

Do you care about mobile data? If so, what are your requirements?

What specifically did you hear about the N8? I think you can find issues, and dissatisfied customers, with any model. Most reports I've seen, heard and read about the N8 have been generally positive.

Thanks for the links.

To clarify, my budget is up to 15,000 baht. I've seen the N8 for sale at 14,500 baht in the Nokia stores, perhaps cheaper in MBK. It seems like a great phone, but just google reviews on it and a huge list of problems come up in the comments.

I don't know a whole lot about the OS at the moment, but it's important to me to have something that's going to last me a while. I want something that is going to be supported by manufacturers so should I have problems in the future I can get updates and news about it. The N8 is on my list because it looks like a great phone, but as I understand it, Symbian is not a good OS to use.

I have a camera already, but it's too big to carry around in my pockets with my phone, keys and wallet. I would like an 'all-in-one'. My camera is good for video but not good for 'on-the-fly' photos, which is what I require. Hence wanting a smartphone.

I have picked up on unhappy customers with most models I've looked at. There seem to be issues with every phone. But issues like 'my phone shut off after 3 days and won't start and now Nokia won't replace it' worry me slightly more than 'the photos aren't very bright'. I'm not trying to be facetious, I just really do need some help on the best phone for my needs.

Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time out to reply!

My BlackBerry has made my life MUCH better!

In the past I was pretty much stuck at home or the office if I was expecting an important email. After I bought my BB Bold 9700, I was able to get my emails right to my phone from ALL of my email accounts. The ability to take pictures and email them in seconds, or upload to FaceBook is great too!

I have the N8, fantastic phone and has not had any issues at all.

Yep! Best phone camera in the market. Needs some time to learn, but better than any android device.

Quit drinking beer for another month and a half and you can afford the Samsung Galaxy S2

Yep! Best phone camera in the market. Needs some time to learn, but better than any android device.

Quit drinking beer for another month and a half and you can afford the Samsung Galaxy S2

My N8 was purchased before the release of the Galaxy S2, it was purchased over other "smart phones" that I could also afford due a small requirement of being able fit into my shirt pocket, It has performed faultlessly and does everything I expect in a phone, takes awesome pictures as well.

My N8 was purchased before the release of the Galaxy S2, it was purchased over other "smart phones" that I could also afford due a small requirement of being able fit into my shirt pocket, It has performed faultlessly and does everything I expect in a phone, takes awesome pictures as well.

A lot of the Android fanboyzz don't understand what a good mobile camera is, what OTG means, the usefulness of connecting keyboards or even a mouse, and especially the full set of 3G frequencies. Not to mention a proper offline navigation (Navteq).

http://translate.google.co.th/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=th&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thaimobilecenter.com%2Fhome%2Fmobile_article_detail.asp%3Fnid%3D82

i hope they do another for the upcoming expo in June, 2011. I actually had my laptop with me making the final decision and I went with the samsung galaxy cooper.

One thing I can say about nokia, is that they are easy to use, even if you've never used them before. You get a lot of hardware for good price.

http://translate.goo....asp%3Fnid%3D82

i hope they do another for the upcoming expo in June, 2011. I actually had my laptop with me making the final decision and I went with the samsung galaxy cooper.

What do you think about your Cooper? been looking at that one since i started to rethink my choice of phone, what is battery life like?

Edited by SweRob

Your looking a good camera phone so Nokia N8 is your only option. Or E7 if you need proper qwerty.

Just after N8 release there were small number of faulty units, Nokia Thailand fixed or replaced all of them free of charge.

Also claims that Symbian is not good to use is BS, it's just bit different than Android or iOS. There was just new version released couple of weeks back which improved the visuals and some functionality.

But in any case you need to go and take a look yourself. Compare the photos and the OS and buy what feels right for you.

Thanks all, I finally went for the N8 and it's a fantastic phone, except... the camera doesn't appear to be working to spec at the moment. All my pictures are grainy or foggy (tried flash off, white balance, exposure, everything!) and I'm pretty peeved. If it keeps on like this I'll be visiting the store with it (luckily I bought it from the Nokia store) and having words about it, because to be honest, this is disappointing for a 12 megapixel Carl Zeiss camera!

Started a new post about this!

Assuming you've sorted out the usual problems: removing the plastic cover which protects the lens during shipping, cleaned any spooge from the lens, have properly set the camera up, yadda yadda yadda, how are you viewing your pictures? Uploaded to a PC? What is the file size? I am the worst photographer in the known universe and even my pix from a lame-ish 5 MP phone cam with no flash look pretty decent. While it might be possible you have a bad phone/camera, first guess would be operator (new user excitement) error. If in doubt, return it ASAP, and try a new one.

Assuming you've sorted out the usual problems: removing the plastic cover which protects the lens during shipping, cleaned any spooge from the lens, have properly set the camera up, yadda yadda yadda, how are you viewing your pictures? Uploaded to a PC? What is the file size? I am the worst photographer in the known universe and even my pix from a lame-ish 5 MP phone cam with no flash look pretty decent. While it might be possible you have a bad phone/camera, first guess would be operator (new user excitement) error. If in doubt, return it ASAP, and try a new one.

lomatopo, you've saved me not only a rather embarrassing, not to mention pointless trip to the Nokia shop, but you've allowed me a huge sigh of relief, as well. You did good today, and for that you should give yourself a pat on the back, a beer, or whatever it is that you use to congratulate yourself!

It was indeed a combination of new user excitement and stupidity. You see, I bought the phone and immediately bought one of those rubber cases too keep it from harm. I then bought a screen protector and forgot entirely to check whether the lense had been protected by one of those pieces of film. As soon as you mentioned this I checked the phone and lo and behold, it did. Removed it promptly and excitedly started snapping away. Quality is fantastic - I even put it through our TV using the HDMI cable to check.

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou. I hope someday I can jump to your rescue should any of my stupidity befall you! :D

No problem, I've done dumber stuff than this many times. Example: on a recent PC build, my 3rd in a few weeks, I put the Win7 CD into the drive upside-down. It took me ~ 1 hour to figure out what was wrong!

It would have been embarrassing to return to the Nokia shop, where after having explained your dilemma, you watch sheepishly as they peel off the sticker. I imagine you wouldn't be the first person thusly embarrassed in that shop, this week?