10-Year-Old Boy Dies Mysteriously At Siam Park In Bangkok

webfact

Boy dies mysteriously

By The Nation

A 10-year-old boy died yesterday after being hauled out of a pool at Siam Park in Bangkok on the weekend.

Sutthiphong Panthong, who was swimming in a 1.2-metre pool at the amusement park and should not have been out of his depth, was pulled out of the pool on Saturday. An autopsy was underway to try to ascertain the cause of his death.

The boy's father, Sutham, has filed a complaint with Bang Chan police and is in talks with Siam Park executives about compensation.

Sutthiphong was admitted to Serirak hospital after being rescued. He was initially declared to be in a stable condition, but was pronounced dead at 8am yesterday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-03

I used to life guard as a summer job. We nearly got sued in the UK when a kid went under, His parents were shocked and wanted blood.

We were investigated and found not to be in the wrong. The child, a non swimmer had entered the pool without adult supervision and gone straight under, someone grabbed him and he ran back to his parent crying in shock.

His parents quoted that he'd been in a rubber ring but managed to be on the bottom for 5mins. The claim was not logical but shocked parents might do anything to divert the blame from the fact that even with lifeguards (who are there as a backup not an assurance) a non-swimming child should Always be accompanied by a swimming adult.

I'm assuming the 10year old was a non-swimmer here based on the fact that the report says 'who was swimming in a 1.2-metre pool at the amusement park and should not have been out of his depth'.....

RIP - It's tragic for parents learn a lesson this way, I hope all other parents take notice. There could be better water safety campaigning in Thailand.

Add another to the list...

2008-01-12

BANGKOK: 28 children were injured - four critically - when part of an elevated amusement waterslide collapsed Saturday at Siam Park in suburban Bangkok.

The 10-to-12-year-old riders were being treated at a local hospital.

The "Super Spiral" waterslide accident occurred during Children's Day when joints holding segments of the popular ride collapsed.

2007-10-23

BANGKOK: One woman was killed and five others including a 9 year-old girl, were injured when a roller-coaster style water sluice passenger boat fell from the crest of its artificial hill at Siam Park on the outskirts of Bangkok on Tuesday.

The accident occurred at midday when the boat-carriage fell from the top of the railway trestle-like structure some 20 metres above the ground.

My wife took our children there last week. She was very impressed with the changes to the park. 2 years ago it was run down and poorly maintained. Now it is in good condition and she said they have many life guards on duty.

She mention how a life guard ran across the pool to scold a hiso lady for feeding her child in the water against park rules. Impressive that he didn't care about her loss of face and enforced the park rules.

The new management seem to be doing a good job.

I don't think this one was a problem with equipment.

True, but it does have to do with supervision.

Such as the supervision that failed to recognize the rusted and broken waterslide joints, in the first incident described, as a problem

30062124-01.jpg551000000517508.jpg

Such as the supervision that failed to recognize the rusted and broken waterslide joints, in the first incident described, as a problem

It has something to do with being able to swim and parental supervision.

There is nothing to suggest that this was caused by problems at the park.

I used to life guard as a summer job. We nearly got sued in the UK when a kid went under, His parents were shocked and wanted blood.

We were investigated and found not to be in the wrong. The child, a non swimmer had entered the pool without adult supervision and gone straight under, someone grabbed him and he ran back to his parent crying in shock.

His parents quoted that he'd been in a rubber ring but managed to be on the bottom for 5mins. The claim was not logical but shocked parents might do anything to divert the blame from the fact that even with lifeguards (who are there as a backup not an assurance) a non-swimming child should Always be accompanied by a swimming adult.

I'm assuming the 10year old was a non-swimmer here based on the fact that the report says 'who was swimming in a 1.2-metre pool at the amusement park and should not have been out of his depth'.....

RIP - It's tragic for parents learn a lesson this way, I hope all other parents take notice. There could be better water safety campaigning in Thailand.

All valid points.

The problem that I've witnessed at the Park is the number of children they allow into the pool at one time. On a busy day (like the holiday weekend of the incident) it numbers in the hundreds.

Impossible for lifeguards to properly supervise so many.

It has something to do with being able to swim and parental supervision.

There is nothing to suggest that this was caused by problems at the park.

Park policies of never limiting the number allowed (as outlined above) are an added factor.

Too many kids, too little supervision by both parents and Park employees.

Koratlagoon

children "only".

excellent lifeguards policy.

NEVER LET MY CHILDREN OUT OF SIGHT.PERIOD.

No matter how well trained the guards are....children are children.

Not so sure this had anything to do with the park.

pulled out of the pool on Saturday
initially declared to be in a stable condition
pronounced dead at 8am yesterday
(Sunday)

It doesn't take >12 hours to drown especially if you're out of the water for most of that time. Reckon it would have happened if the boy had been in a shoppping mall and collapsed. Have to wait for autopsy.

My thoughts go out to the parents and relatives of the kid. God rest his soul...

(Sunday)

It doesn't take >12 hours to drown especially if you're out of the water for most of that time. Reckon it would have happened if the boy had been in a shoppping mall and collapsed. Have to wait for autopsy.

My thoughts go out to the parents and relatives of the kid. God rest his soul...

Yes, it can happen. It's not like in the movies that someone nearly drowns, its pulled out given CPR and they are as good as new. Water in the lungs can damage them and lead to fluid buildup hours after wards, it's like drowning all over again.

(Sunday)

Agreed! RIP

(Sunday)

When I did my Lifesaver training as a teen we were always told that in any near drowning incident we were to advise the person or parents of children to seek medical attention. We were told that it is possible to "drown" several hours later if any water had been inhaled into the lungs.

I am not a doctor and am going off memory but the way I remember it was explained is that the fluid in the lungs draws more fluid into them, effectively drowning the person even though they are out of the water. Someone may have better knowledge or be able to explain it better, but as a parent now it is something to be aware of with my kids, they love the pool too.

2008-01-12

BANGKOK: 28 children were injured - four critically - when part of an elevated amusement waterslide collapsed Saturday at Siam Park in suburban Bangkok.

The 10-to-12-year-old riders were being treated at a local hospital.

The "Super Spiral" waterslide accident occurred during Children's Day when joints holding segments of the popular ride collapsed.

2007-10-23

BANGKOK: One woman was killed and five others including a 9 year-old girl, were injured when a roller-coaster style water sluice passenger boat fell from the crest of its artificial hill at Siam Park on the outskirts of Bangkok on Tuesday.

The accident occurred at midday when the boat-carriage fell from the top of the railway trestle-like structure some 20 metres above the ground.

Good iformative post.

"Sutthiphong was admitted to Serirak hospital after being rescued. He was initially declared to be in a stable condition, but was pronounced dead at 8am yesterday."

Sounds like it wasn't a drowning at all. Sounds like the boy collapsed/passed out for unknown reasons, was pulled from the water, revived and stablized, and then died while in the hospital hours later during the night. The hospital and physicians would thus seem to be the ones on the hook. But all is pure speculation until they identify the cause of death.

Edited by Phil Conners
fontsize normalised

(Sunday)

It can and often does happen, it's called secondary drowning.

When water taken into the lungs irritates the lining causing the lungs to form its own fluid to try and expel the irritation.

As stated by someone else on here any near drowning should be taken to the hospital for observation, not that it would do much good here unfortunately.

Very sorry for the young boys loss of life and disgusted that the parents have so little grief that they are already after compensation for such a tragic accident.

Someone at the hospital was not doing their job........"observation" does not mean looking into his room now and then. It means CLOSE observation. As it means when parents are supervising their children.

When young, I almost drowned right in front of my father because he was not paying attention. It was a pretty close call.

My future children will be watched very closely and constantly when swimming.....al it takes is a few seconds to inhale water, but you can sometimes see it coming.

Edited by Latindancer

Someone at the hospital was not doing their job........"observation" does not mean looking into his room now and then. It means CLOSE observation. As it means when parents are supervising their children.

When young, I almost drowned right in front of my father because he was not paying attention. It was a pretty close call.

My future children will be watched very closely and constantly when swimming.....al it takes is a few seconds to inhale water, but you can sometimes see it coming.

Did I miss something? Where did you read that the hospital was not caring for him properly or did not observe him properly? Sometimes people die (even in hospitals) and there is nothing that can be done about it. What is the cause of death? Where were the boys guardian when he was in the pool? what happened at the hospital?

Quote : "The boy's father, Sutham, has filed a complaint with Bang Chan police and is in talks with Siam Park executives about compensation. "

If it were my child financial gain would be the last thing on my mind BUT This is Thailand where money is more important than life itself !!!

Quote : "The boy's father, Sutham, has filed a complaint with Bang Chan police and is in talks with Siam Park executives about compensation. "

If it were my child financial gain would be the last thing on my mind BUT This is Thailand where money is more important than life itself !!!

Yes I have to say that's the line that caught my eye, no mention of the parents wanting to ensure that it couldn't happen again or trying to identify who or what was at fault, just how much compo can we get.

Maybe the Bang Chan police should be investigating if there was a lack of supervision by the parents of the child, but presumably this would bring in no money for them.

Sad death for the young lad though.

Parental supervision by definition is a parents responsibility, allowing a non swimmer child into a pool alone is criminal negligence.

Parental supervision by definition is a parents responsibility, allowing a non swimmer child into a pool alone is criminal negligence.

Agreed, Isn't it marvelous that the parents get in the act for money quickly, go for the park" go for the hospital" I wonder where they were when the kid was in the water--and where were they when he was in the hospital, didn't they ask questions about his ongoing condition. I,m sorry for the kid and some lack of care along the way. The natural reaction for me would be -how stupid I was to let the kid out of my sight-It would be difficult to ever live the same life, with guilt hanging over me. Is MONEY the only thing thats important here???

did not know about this secondary drowning stuff.......nice to know.

My kids are good swimmers and have been for a long time.....and i have left them, not alone, but in each others company a few times thinking they will be ok with each other to watch out for them.......not any more though as when you read something like this it wakes you up again from over confidence in your kids probable abilities....but things can happen.

So good thread.

When I did my Lifesaver training as a teen we were always told that in any near drowning incident we were to advise the person or parents of children to seek medical attention. We were told that it is possible to "drown" several hours later if any water had been inhaled into the lungs.

I am not a doctor and am going off memory but the way I remember it was explained is that the fluid in the lungs draws more fluid into them, effectively drowning the person even though they are out of the water. Someone may have better knowledge or be able to explain it better, but as a parent now it is something to be aware of with my kids, they love the pool too.

Yes, in salt water near drownings, due to osmosis. Victims should be monitored in hospital for 24 hours.

What strikes me is the father is already asking for money. No time for mourning, I guess, TV's gettin' kinda old.

Like I said in a recent posting, here, it is all about the money even a few thousand for a childs life can't be passed up.

Life guards or no... When I take my kids 'swimming' I make SURE my eyes are on them at all times.

I'm sure everyone knows how lax a lot of Thai parents are when looking after their kids. Just throw em in a school and let the teachers deal with it. Problem? Sue the school.

I'm sure it's the same thing at other venues.

Exactly my thoughts when i read it........compensation for your childs death no matter how or why would not enter my head at all.......not ever....it is simply something I would not seek.........unless it was an around about way of ruining someones life that caused the death of my child and normal criminal procedures were not available for whatever reason....then ruining their life would be high priority.

The park might very well be found liable, and yes, compensation payments - or offers of payment - in Thailand, are, at best, a joke; at worst, an insult. Fortunately for corporations, and wealthy individuals, in this country, US liability laws, and compensation levels, don't apply . . . . yet.

But hours - or was it even minutes - after the tragedy, the father is seeking compensation. The last thing on my mind, were it my child, and that soon after his death, would be talking about compensation. I'd be too numbed with shock; too overcome with grief. Mind-boggling, is one description that comes to mind . . . . Or am I being overly cynical?