Rubber Tree Sapling Prices

Hi im looking for information on prices of rubber tree saplings as i need to replace the dead trees on my newly purchased land .

I am in Sukhothai and the going price for a 1 foot tall tree is 65 baht and a 2 foot tall tree is 70 baht .

How does this compare with other parts of Thailand and does anyone know of a major rubber tree nursery in Sukhothai

cheers

fezzy

We have 3,000 saplings on order near Phon Charoen in Issan, price is 30 baht each.

That's sounds about right, from what I understand. B30-B35 per sapling. Of course, price might vary depending on location. As rubber trees will proliferate better in a consistently {year-round} warmer climate, one will find that saplings in the deeper south go for almost nothing. Sub-soils have a firm determination of how healthy they become, as well.

Cheers for the feedback guys

Hey gippy these saplings your getting do you know how tall the are

Yeh I thought 70 baht was a little pricey but over here it's relatively new and they can name there own price as there's not much competition .

We have 3,000 saplings on order near Phon Charoen in Issan, price is 30 baht each.

Gippy

Can you PM me a contact number for your supplier please. We are near Chiang rai but it would be worth the drive. Up here a good quality

seedling around 1 foot or bigger is 60 baht.

We already have 1500 baht and looking for 700 - 100 more. Thanks

Gippy

Can you PM me a contact number for your supplier please. We are near Chiang rai but it would be worth the drive. Up here a good quality

seedling around 1 foot or bigger is 60 baht.

We already have 1500 baht and looking for 700 - 100 more. Thanks

Dont get your hopes up too high . Pre ordered or not -when thy think they can get a Baht more they will not honor you pre order . Happened to us. Odered for 35 , then it was 40 then they wanted 50 -of course I told them where to stick it and bought somewhere else . Also at 50 Baht , but at least that was the price quote upfront.

Im not a rubber farmer and recently not a farmer atall, but i do read all posts with interest,

the 1 foot rubber sapling is about a year old? and the 2ft sapling is getting on for 2 years old and has more chance of survival because of its age, although its price is perhaps 15/20bht more, so the economics would suggest that the older tree has saved you a years fertilizer and weed cleaning [labour] and the costs that go with the labour, is it worth a consideration to pay a little more to save more?

Thanks, Lickey.

Im not a rubber farmer and recently not a farmer atall, but i do read all posts with interest,

the 1 foot rubber sapling is about a year old? and the 2ft sapling is getting on for 2 years old and has more chance of survival because of its age, although its price is perhaps 15/20bht more, so the economics would suggest that the older tree has saved you a years fertilizer and weed cleaning [labour] and the costs that go with the labour, is it worth a consideration to pay a little more to save more?

Thanks, Lickey.

Judging by the time between ordering and delivery the 2 foot saplings are 4-6 months old. At 2 years old our rubber trees were 6 or 7 feet tall. Our suppliers will not sell 1 foot tall saplings as they consider them too small to be planted out.

Thanks, Lickey.

Judging by the time between ordering and delivery the 2 foot saplings are 4-6 months old. At 2 years old our rubber trees were 6 or 7 feet tall. Our suppliers will not sell 1 foot tall saplings as they consider them too small to be planted out.

Hi Gippy

STill even though they are not 30 - 35 baht can u PM a contact number or 2 so the missus can check them out please? We still look for quality and would do the drive if they are better quality that our local suppliers and if it worked out the same in cost. Shame about the savings.

They all seem to come from the deep south anyway and the earlier you buy in the season the cheaper they are. Same as you we had a local supplier who my FiL deals with (he manages a larger spread). We were promised excellent quality at 40 - 45 baht each but he held out to later in the season to get 60 - 70 baht each.

we refused to buy from him and bought at the same price a bit further away.

He pissed off a few of the locals and they vandalised 300 of his trees.

Anyway if you can PM any numbers or if anyone else can we would appreciate the opportunity to check them out as suppliers.

Thx

Edited by raylo

Hi Gippy

STill even though they are not 30 - 35 baht can u PM a contact number or 2 so the missus can check them out please? We still look for quality and would do the drive if they are better quality that our local suppliers and if it worked out the same in cost. Shame about the savings.

They all seem to come from the deep south anyway and the earlier you buy in the season the cheaper they are. Same as you we had a local supplier who my FiL deals with (he manages a larger spread). We were promised excellent quality at 40 - 45 baht each but he held out to later in the season to get 60 - 70 baht each.

Anyway if you can PM any numbers or if anyone else can we would appreciate the opportunity to check them out as suppliers.

Thx

We are still waiting for the saplings to be ready for us so we will see if the price changes. Not many people try to pull a fast one on my MiL though rolleyes.gif I will ask her for a phone number for them. We were originally hoping to be planting now but the saplings are not big enough, when the MiL inspected them a couple of weeks ago she thinks it will be the end of June before they are ready.

It's all a bit different from 5 years ago when we got 900 saplings at 15 baht each delivered the next day. They have done very well and will be ready for tapping later this year.

Hi Gippy

Thx

We are still waiting for the saplings to be ready for us so we will see if the price changes. Not many people try to pull a fast one on my MiL though rolleyes.gif I will ask her for a phone number for them. We were originally hoping to be planting now but the saplings are not big enough, when the MiL inspected them a couple of weeks ago she thinks it will be the end of June before they are ready.

It's all a bit different from 5 years ago when we got 900 saplings at 15 baht each delivered the next day. They have done very well and will be ready for tapping later this year.

Something sounds amiss here, how long ago did you order the trees. Seen it befdre where the nursery sell your trees an plant more for your order, not good. Don't know the rain fall parterns in your are, but here you want the trees in the ground first good rains after Songkran, otherwise the trees will not get to the growing spurt before the dry season hits, then lots of dead trees.

Have you seen your 5 year old trees, seems very young to be opening. Took pretty good care of my trees and only a hand full were big enough to open at 5 1/2 years. Jim

Hi Gippy

Thx

OK appreciated - look forward to hearing from you.

Yes we followed the sapling prices over the years but our situation did not suit us planting then.

A guy up the road got all of his saplings for free (15 rai worth from memory) and is doing well. Thai, hides the money flow but is

on a small buying spree from time to time. Good on him.

Hi Gippy

Thx

Yes we followed the sapling prices over the years but our situation did not suit us planting then.

A guy up the road got all of his saplings for free (15 rai worth from memory) and is doing well. Thai, hides the money flow but is

We too got our saplings for 2 years running for free from the govt. This year, we'll get 12-2-0 rai of saplings for free (950 + saplings) as well as organic fertilizer. Our "free" trees are doing very well - going on 6 1/2 yrs old now.

Hi Gippy

Thx

We too got our saplings for 2 years running for free from the govt. This year, we'll get 12-2-0 rai of saplings for free (950 + saplings) as well as organic fertilizer. Our "free" trees are doing very well - going on 6 1/2 yrs old now.

Yeah MiL is supposed to get 200. We were supposed to go to Phayao and be part of an allocation which would have seen too few divided amongst too many.

Very poor lot for this region.

In the end did the maths and decided not to.

I paid 40 baht for a stick in a bag last month and that was the nursery cleaned out. I built my own nursery, covered, with sprinklers and they are now about 8" to a foot high. I had about 10% die off, not grow, or not grow from the graft. I got 300 more 1ft high for 55 baht from another nursery and that was them cleaned out.

Harder and harder every year, we used to drive around when we were ready to plant and buy what we wanted. Now I buy them early and keep them at the house.

The wife's nephew who is a police captain had his order of 3000 trees with a 50% deposit sold on to someone else.

I pay cash as they go into my truck and keep them in my yard.

70 baht for a 2ft tree if you can get them, and you can't in any numbers around Ban Dung. Some availabe for replanting is all.

I think next year I'm going to order my own sticks from down south and bag them and grow them in my own nursery. Around here these nurseries are all expanding and that looks like a money machine if anyone is looking to get into an ag related business

I presume everyone is talking about Rimm 600's ?

Prices for saplings are different for each strain, size and provenance. Without this information its a bit like saying I just went out and bought an Isuzu pickup.

Know where your buying from is probably the most important question. Your objective is to have good producing rubber trees after 7 years, if the strain is weak you could get much lower yields and a high proportion of trees that dont juice (perfect living trees but they give no latex).

Know what your buying, for example, we have two ladies who come into our site (rimm 600) and regularly take away young rubber shoots that have formed before we brush cut them. These are then used for grafting and grown in their own nursery and sold to whoever and wherever with little knowledge. Again, its a bit like buying an Isuzu pickup, but a second hand one. Buyer beware.

We have just ordered some new saplings having studied which tree will give the best result for our site. You can approach the local gov'nt rubber official who will recommend a nursery and inspect the saplings that you want to buy, anyone can do this and should only cost you some beer money.

In this instance we purchased JVP80 from a nursery in Bung Kan for 80bht each, circa 1ft + tall. The supply is from Malaysia and the nursery is government accredited to sell this strain.

Remember, copies and fakes of everything are just a way of life in Thailand, so forewarned is forearmed.

A simple but by no means complete way of identifying JVP80, should you want to have a look around, is that the end of the leaf is a much darker colour to the rest of the leafs upper surface and the underneath of the leaf is much darker again.

I presume everyone is talking about Rimm 600's ?

Prices for saplings are different for each strain, size and provenance. Without this information its a bit like saying I just went out and bought an Isuzu pickup.

Know where your buying from is probably the most important question. Your objective is to have good producing rubber trees after 7 years, if the strain is weak you could get much lower yields and a high proportion of trees that dont juice (perfect living trees but they give no latex).

Know what your buying, for example, we have two ladies who come into our site (rimm 600) and regularly take away young rubber shoots that have formed before we brush cut them. These are then used for grafting and grown in their own nursery and sold to whoever and wherever with little knowledge. Again, its a bit like buying an Isuzu pickup, but a second hand one. Buyer beware.

We have just ordered some new saplings having studied which tree will give the best result for our site. You can approach the local gov'nt rubber official who will recommend a nursery and inspect the saplings that you want to buy, anyone can do this and should only cost you some beer money.

In this instance we purchased JVP80 from a nursery in Bung Kan for 80bht each, circa 1ft + tall. The supply is from Malaysia and the nursery is government accredited to sell this strain.

Remember, copies and fakes of everything are just a way of life in Thailand, so forewarned is forearmed.

A simple but by no means complete way of identifying JVP80, should you want to have a look around, is that the end of the leaf is a much darker colour to the rest of the leafs upper surface and the underneath of the leaf is much darker again.

Informative and to the point

Thx - you have just demonstrated a true value of forums - what they are all about

Edited by raylo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gippy

Thx

Dear all,

I think I spoke too soon (re: my last comment). My B-I-L went to a govt. regional meeting for rubber growers 2 days ago in Chiang Mai. The government has gone back on their word for free organic fertilizer.... and I suspect that the free saplings will go the same way as (akin to the govt. buying votes, submarines, APC's without engines, imaginary bomb detectors, etc.) But not as appalling as when the esteemed house members voted "no" to donate 3,000baht each of their monthly pay to the Japan disaster due to elections coming up!!!!

Edited by scotbeve

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the saplings we had ordered (see above).

It turns out they are complete duds. They seemed to be getting smaller every time we visited the nursery. After much questioning they fessed up that they were not in fact Rimm 600's from the south but were obtained from Laos. We demanded, and got, our deposit back with interest.

Anybody got 3,000 nice saplings for sale?

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the saplings we had ordered (see above).

It turns out they are complete duds. They seemed to be getting smaller every time we visited the nursery. After much questioning they fessed up that they were not in fact Rimm 600's from the south but were obtained from Laos. We demanded, and got, our deposit back with interest.

Anybody got 3,000 nice saplings for sale?

Gippy:

You still in the market? The wife and I were at one of our local nurseries (to look at puppies) and he has a good supply of saplings that look pretty nice. Maybe 8 to 12 inches tall, he said 70 baht, but for a big order like yours I'm sure you can bargin. It's up by Wanon Niwat, about 60 kms east of Ban Dung which is 70km northeast of Udon Thani

Ken