Controversy Over Chiang Mai Zoo’S Polar Bear Exhibit

Buchholz

Controversy over Chiang Mai Zoo’s Polar Bear Exhibit

Chiang Mai Zoo is forging ahead with the construction of its newest attraction exhibiting live polar bears. However, animal activists have denounced the project, saying polar bears are vulnerable in captivity and the new facility is also substandard.

President of the Lanna Bird and Nature Conservation Club Rungsrit Kanjanavanit, accompanied by over 20 members of the Thai Wildlife Protection Network, the Hug Chiang Mai Club and the Seub Nakhasathien Foundation, traveled to Chiang Mai Zoo in the northern province of Chiang Mai to submit a letter to Mr Thanapat Pongpamorn, Director of the zoo. The letter protested the zoo’s new addition, called the Polar World, which is being built to showcase a couple of polar bears as well as King Penguins.

Despite the zoo’s vision to use Polar World to stimulate local tourism and contribute to the research and conservation effort, Dr. Rungsrit expressed strong disagreement with the project, particularly the polar bear display. He explained that statistics worldwide had indicated that polar bears had difficulties thriving in captivity and adapting to their confines.

Another reason is that polar bears live in the sub-zero temperatures of the Arctic all year long and, therefore, life in the tropical climate of Thailand would be brutal. Even though the air-conditioning system could come in handy, building a space to imitate the bears’ natural habitat is still a challenging task as they also need a vast expanse of land and water to roam and hunt for food. Many countries with hefty budgets have failed to keep polar bears in healthy conditions, physically or mentally, within their fences.

Dr. Rungsrit cited research by the University of Oxford as suggesting that nearly all polar bears on display across the globe had mental illnesses. The animals’ unfamiliarity with their new environs and limited space can cause depression as well as unusual and repetitive behaviors. The leading activist then pointed out that Chiang Mai Zoo’s Polar World was not being constructed in compliance with the international standard, reasoning that its area spanned only 135 square meters, as opposed to the requirement of at least 500 square meters per each pair of bears.

Lastly, Dr. Rungsrit called for all zoo operators worldwide to refrain from acquiring more polar bears and other large predators for exhibit, adding that several developed countries, such as the United Kingdom, Switzerland and Germany, had already terminated such practices.

The activists’ voice against the Polar World project has been heard by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment.

Consideration is reportedly being given to the suspension of the project although the construction process has been 30 percent completed and the attraction is tentatively set to be open to the public in 2013.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-05-03 footer_n.gif

Here is a prime example why this project should not be completed:

But I suppose it will go ahead anyway, as this is purely for business and profit, the animals welfare will be secondry.

I certainly will not be visiting the zoo and contributing to the suffering of these polar bears.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Excerpts from :

A Case Against Polar Bears In Captivity

http://www.zoocheck.com/calgary/Case%20against%20PB%20in%20captivity%20RL.pdf

In addition to their thick fur and tough skin, polar bears are equipped with a layer of blubber, up to 11 cm (4.3 inches) thick, to help them maintain a body temperature of 98.6 degrees F. Polar bears are so well insulated, they easily become overheated.

According to Ian Stirling in Bears, Majestic Creatures of the Wild, “The combined insulation of fat and fur is so effective that, as long as the bear is not exposed to wind, its body temperature and metabolic rate remain at the normal level even if the temperature drops to -37 C (-35 F).”

According to The Great Bear Almanac the range of a single polar bear is more than 51,800 sq km (20,000 sq miles). In fact, polar bears inhabit the largest living space of any terrestrial animal species.

Polar bears have long been known as a species that is especially prone to the development of abnormal behaviour patterns in captivity. These usually manifest themselves as stereotypic pacing, head turning and swimming patterns. Stereotypies are prolonged, repetititve, apparently purposeless behaviours that do not occur in the wild. They are usually associated with substandard conditions and poor welfare.

Even zoos with the largest budgets have difficulty keeping polar bears free of stereotypic behaviours. Sea World San Diego has not been able to stop the development of stereotypies in their polar bears despite spending millions of dollars on their polar bear exhibit. Sea World Gold Coast Australia has had the same experience. The Calgary Zoo in Alberta and the Central Park Wildlife Centre in New York have put polar bears on prozac to reduce abnormal behaviour patterns.

Veterinarian Samantha Lindley expresses concern about polar bears in warmer climates: “Temperature regulation places a huge stress on these animals, even if they ‘cope’. Whilst they are coping with temperature variations to which they are not adapted, they cannot cope with other stressors, such as boredom, captivity, and human proximity with no prospect of escape. Many polar bear enclosures become suntraps in the summer, and water facilities are often poor. Tropical facilities are totally unsuitable for polar bears. The chances of artificially maintained environments breaking down are too high and the need for greater restriction of the bears renders such a destination a potential disaster in welfare terms.”

*bold emphasis is mine

Makes me wonder about the polar bear exhibit at Sea World on Queensland Gold Coast. . The Gold Coast does get temperatures similar to Chiang Mai at times thou the year, but i have never heard or read any criticism apart from the keeping of wild creatures in compounds that all zoos receive. Are they doing something right that Chaing Mai Zoo should take note of and copy. <BR><BR>I may add that i am particularly impressed how they have done the sea world polar bear exhibit and on the days i have been there , usually on a stinking hot day, i have been envious of how the bears spend most of their time in and out of the water cooling off in the water which i guess would be at last 20 metres deep (not that i would like to kept on exhibition in a prison cell either).. <BR><BR>

Edited by xen

Chiangmai Zoo seems to be going in for unsuitable species. I suppose pandas do well in captivity, but they are extremely costly to keep, and I'm not sure that the Chiangmai facility is really adequate.

Polar bears are completely unsuitable. The posts above give the reasons, and I need not repeat them, but I'd like to add my vote against this abuse of a noble animal.

a noble animal.

:rolleyes: what makes one animal more noble than others? ;)

It's a zoo. As far as zoos go in this part of the world, it's even a pretty good one. It's long established and far better managed than for example the Night Safari, or any other zoo in Thailand or SE Asia with exception probably of Singapore Zoo.

Singapore Zoo, by the way, has polar bears too. http://www.zoo.com.sg/l2_t1.aspx?l2=40&l1=5&langid=1

If memory serves correctly, our local zoo use to have a Penguin house. We had taken the kids for a day at the zoo and inquired where the penguins were as the facility (water tanks) was empty of life. One of the employees informed us that they died. Hope they have better luck this time around.

a noble animal.

:rolleyes: what makes one animal more noble than others? ;)

It's a zoo. As far as zoos go in this part of the world, it's even a pretty good one. It's long established and far better managed than for example the Night Safari, or any other zoo in Thailand or SE Asia with exception probably of Singapore Zoo.

Singapore Zoo, by the way, has polar bears too. http://www.zoo.com.s...0&l1=5&langid=1

I don't know if those are the same polar bears I saw about15 years ago at the Singapore zoo. Atthat time the poor bears looked more like dogs in bear suits.

I'm from the Midwest and our local zoo (St. Louis) has temperatures that can reach similar levels, with similar humidity, to Chiang Mai.

About five years ago, all of the polar bears died over the summer. One after another. In-adequate facilities and the heat, I imagine.

The shocker is that this is one of the best zoos in the country - right up there with the San Diego Zoo. Polar bears just aren't meant for this climate.

Be nice if Chiang Mai Zoo upgraded some of its present "concrete pens" before it embarks on another mega baht "Panda type project" some of them are more than obsolete, they are a disgrace. Across the way at the Night Safari we will never be told the full extent of deaths that are strongly rumoured to have occured. Meanwhile trucks continue to ferry wildlife to China.I wish someone, in authority, would get serious about animal health and protection in this country while they still have some left.

Be nice if Chiang Mai Zoo upgraded some of its present "concrete pens" before it embarks on another mega baht "Panda type project" some of them are more than obsolete, they are a disgrace. Across the way at the Night Safari we will never be told the full extent of deaths that are strongly rumoured to have occured. Meanwhile trucks continue to ferry wildlife to China.I wish someone, in authority, would get serious about animal health and protection in this country while they still have some left.

They did a major upgrade to the lions enclosure recently. A lot of work is going on there all the time; it's a big zoo. I think they're doing a very good job. Much better than the ill thought out Night Safari operation anyway, which is not linked to CM Zoo in any way.

• 1 month later...

Activists oppose Chiang Mai Zoo’s polar bear exhibition

CHIANGMAI, 19 June 2011 (NNT) - After the Chiang Mai Zoo has decided to showcase a polar bear, many people and activists denounced the move, saying it would be tantamount to animal cruelty.

Under heavy criticisms on the move to exhibit polar bear, Chiang Mai Zoo had held a public forum to listen to public opinion. Over 100 people from different organizations participated in the forum.

A representative from Lanna Bird and Nature Conservation Club said a polar bear exhibition at the zoo was unacceptable.

He explained that the sub-standard conditions at the zoo and the tropical climate in Thailand were not suitable for the animal.

It was pointed out that that, by nature, polar bears travel long distances to hunt; it cannot be locked up in a 135-square meter space.

The representative cited World Association of Zoos and Aquariums standard, which said minimum space for an animal showcase was 500 square meters.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-06-19 footer_n.gif

Edited by Buchholz

Chiangmai Zoo seems to be going in for unsuitable species. I suppose pandas do well in captivity, but they are extremely costly to keep, and I'm not sure that the Chiangmai facility is really adequate.

Polar bears are completely unsuitable. The posts above give the reasons, and I need not repeat them, but I'd like to add my vote against this abuse of a noble animal.

Television royalties?

Thai's watch the Panda channel for hours. sad.gif

Television royalties?

Thai's watch the Panda channel for hours. sad.gif

Unfortunately, all they'll likely see on the Chiang Mai Polar Bear Channel will be images like these of other unnatural and

pathetic-appearing polar bears that are also zoo-kept.

Even in places with more resources

like San Francisco

Polar_Blog_1250x333.jpg

and New York

hot-polar-bear.jpg

and Amsterdam

2362781170_4f82f43c7e.jpg

Those posted pix are sad. I would not support this either. But then I don't support the zoo's dual pricing. Then the opportunity to pay extra for the aquarium, then pay extra for the pandas. Hey, a zoo where the exhibits are not quite to my western standards and you over charge me, then charge me even more to actually see the exhibits you want me to come see... wonder why I never go ?!

CM Zoo should specialize in tiger, rhino, elephant, and snake breeding. And try to utilize more of the land to allow the animals to roam about (safari anyone?). And then partner with the local universities to become world leaders in advancing these fields.... but... I'm using logic.

Those posted pix are sad. I would not support this either. But then I don't support the zoo's dual pricing. Then the opportunity to pay extra for the aquarium, then pay extra for the pandas. Hey, a zoo where the exhibits are not quite to my western standards and you over charge me, then charge me even more to actually see the exhibits you want me to come see... wonder why I never go ?!

CM Zoo should specialize in tiger, rhino, elephant, and snake breeding. And try to utilize more of the land to allow the animals to roam about (safari anyone?). And then partner with the local universities to become world leaders in advancing these fields.... but... I'm using logic.

I totally agree with you. There is no need to look at large North American carnivores sleeping in cement cages in Thailand. Well run zoos have provided the world with good knowledge of the animal kingdom. And, in some cases have protected endangered species in their native habitat. But, polar bears are not one of those endangered species. They do quite well on their own in the arctic. They don't need "saving". And, in the cases where baby polar bears are separated from a dead mother, then there specific zoos that can handle that problem.

I like the zoo. And they will readily give you a normal price if you can show them you live here.

We visit once or twice a year, usually in the cool season. (Visiting the zoo = exercise. ;) I don't think they even allow cars in anymore. )

I also enjoy the zoo and like taking children there, but I don't agree with building a polar bear exhibit. I don't mind paying the farang price either, but that's because in Canada I have to pay an equal amount just to park my car in a National Park.

CM zoo is a mixed bag, like so many things in this country, they focus on some areas and totally ignore others, the reptile area is really bad, the crocs are in "ponds" that only have a tiny puddle of water, they can not emerse their bodies and swimming is impossible, the interprative info for most is nonexistent. The small cat collection is fascinating but really inhumane. The rhinos and hippos look ok, as do some big cat and zebra enclosures.

If they focused on native and S.E. Asian species with a real educational perspective, could be a great zoo as they have a good environment to work with, plenty of land. Polar bears ? just stupid.

CM zoo is a mixed bag, like so many things in this country, they focus on some areas and totally ignore others, the reptile area is really bad, the crocs are in "ponds" that only have a tiny puddle of water, they can not emerse their bodies and swimming is impossible, the interprative info for most is nonexistent. The small cat collection is fascinating but really inhumane. The rhinos and hippos look ok, as do some big cat and zebra enclosures.

If they focused on native and S.E. Asian species with a real educational perspective, could be a great zoo as they have a good environment to work with, plenty of land. Polar bears ? just stupid.

Good reply. I agree totally with everything you said. It seems like a mixed bag even though the area is large enough to support a good complex. Some animals do well in cages, but others don't. The crocs need a small lake with a good sunning area.

The only problem with Chiang Mai Zoo and many others, is that it's difficult to ascertain who should be in the cage and who should not. wink.gif

That is true everywhere... and most often a long way from the nearest zoo. :whistling:

To outsiders reading thaivisa for the first time it might appear like they are viewing a group of zoo beasts.:D