Changing From Extension (Marriage) To Retirement

Reported to Lopburi Immigration, with my wife, where I have previously done two extensions based on Marriege (current extension within two weeks of expiry).

Explained that I wished to change my Non-Imm O Visa extension, from one based on "Marriage to a Thai National" to an Extension based on "Retirement" using the combination of income and money in the bank.

Filled out TM7 and attached photo, (reason for extension of 365 days, Retirement)

Asked what documentation was required, was told to present the following.

1. Original letter From Embassy (British) confirming my Income. No supporting documents asked for.

2. Original letter from my bank confirming my bank balance. No date stipulated by Immigration, however it was dated

for that day.

3. Bank book and one photocopy of each page.

4. House book (Tabien Baan) As proof of address. I hadn't brought it but they accepted a photocopy of my Thai

Driving license.

5. Photocopy of my wife's ID card, signed by her. (I assume as proof she knew I was changing reason for extension}?

These documents were passed back to the boss who checked my annual Income and converted the figure to Baht at

that days rate, She then checked that the amount needed to bring my annual income up to 800,000 baht had been

in my account for 3 months. It had been but I (politely) said I had checked previously (with Thai Visa) and I

understood that the balance only had to be in for the actual registration of the application. She did not reply

but gave me a look that I translated as (Does your village know you're out on your own) one of disbelief.

As I keep the amount in question in my bank account anyway as an emergency fund, I did not pursue the matter.

Result. After a total of 45 mins from start to finish I had the extension stamp in my passport.

I realise that this may differ from the norm and leaves some questions unanswered but I'm just relating my

experience.

Regards. Nibor.

After your application is approved, there is no need to keep the money there till 3 months before your next application.

If you apply based on a combination of money in the bank and income, no seasoning at all is required.

After your application is approved, there is no need to keep the money there till 3 months before your next application.

If you apply based on a combination of money in the bank and income, no seasoning at all is required.

Thanks Mario. Yes that was my understanding after I asked the question on this forum previously, unfortunately the boss didn't seem realise this.

My wife suggested I get a download of the relevant paragraph in Thai and English to show her (respectfully), I searched but couldn't find the information, however my I.T. skills are pretty basic, can anybody out there help?

Thanks Mario. Yes that was my understanding after I asked the question on this forum previously, unfortunately the boss didn't seem realise this.

My wife suggested I get a download of the relevant paragraph in Thai and English to show her (respectfully), I searched but couldn't find the information, however my I.T. skills are pretty basic, can anybody out there help?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/redirect.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.immigration.go.th%2Fnov2004%2Fdoc%2Ftemporarystay%2Fpolicy777-2551_en.pdf (English translation)

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy777-2551_th.pdf (Thai)

But be polite and don't go and wave it in their face. Just as politely for clarification, without being a mister know it all. Otherwise you will not improve your relationship with immigration.

I don't believe that one has to declare that one is changing his application for visa extension from 'based on marriage' to 'based on retirement'...just show up at immigration at renewal time with all the necessary documentation for 'based on retirement' and they will process the application on the spot without further ado...I did mine last December at Ayudtthaya with an embassy letter for the income part...no discussion required regarding reasons for different extension, etc...

I realise that the combination bank account/income method would be more complicated but if you are over 50 y/o nothing says that you have to justify an application for a retirement extension while holding a previous marriage extension...

however, rogue immigration officials are always a problem, TIT and etc...<_<

Edited by tutsiwarrior

They may require the wife to certify that she understands the change (in case you are planning a get-away plan). :)

oh yeah...the wife was there, impassive and inscrutable...always around when something big goes down to support her husband...there could have been an slight facial expression to the immigration guy to indicate her concurrence with the 'based on retirement' application without my knowledge...it's always the same guy down at immigration and he never speaks to me...:ermm:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/redirect.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.immigration.go.th%2Fnov2004%2Fdoc%2Ftemporarystay%2Fpolicy777-2551_en.pdf (English translation)

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy777-2551_th.pdf (Thai)

But be polite and don't go and wave it in their face. Just as politely for clarification, without being a mister know it all. Otherwise you will not improve your relationship with immigration.

Hi Mario, sorry for the delay in answering I had an away day into reality. I'll print this off and get the wife to drop it into Lopburi immigration after I've highlighted the relevant paragraph, best I leave it to her as I have a low departure point from diplomacy.

Many thanks. Nibor.